Light-O-Rama Forums

Whole-house effects with motion effects?

Wonko

Hi all,

I’ve added a bunch of RGB props to my show this year, and I’m updating all my old sequences. Is there a cool way to add “whole-house” effects like a wave or something that moves all across my display? I see a ton of those effects in Xlights displays online, but I’m not sure how it would work in LOR s5. 

Fwiw, my show this year is an RGB mega tree, 3 pixel matrices, 8 RGB candy canes, 8 RGB mini trees, 4 RGB arches, and a bunch of regular LOR props from last year.

I tried adding a “whole house” group in my preview for the RGB props, then adding motion effect rows to each prop, and then adding a motion effect to the whole group, but it only adds the effect to the first prop in the group (arch 1 for me.) Any idea what I’m doing wrong?

Also, anybody know what motion effect setting does that cool effect that starts on one prop and washes over all of them? Is it called a starburst or something?

Appreciate the help!

Wonko

Yes, you can, but please don't - at least not much.  Whole house effects look cool once, but very much of it just gets repetitive.

Create a group of all the props, and use a motion effect across that group.  Play with various effects to see what you like.

BTW, I have exactly one whole house effect in one song.  It's a single wave across the entire property.  It was made in SuperStar - where it was easy.

Ok thanks - but S5 only allows me to add a motion effect to one motion effect row at a time. How do I get the effect to seem like it starts in the middle and washes out to the rest? Would I copy and paste to the other props? Or do a chase starting with the motion effect row?

thanks again

When you create the entire display group make sure you mark USE PREVIEW in the arrangement box and then select the resolution. I use high resolution om my display. The effect you are talking about might be the ripple effect. 

just move the center of the effect to the prop you want it to start on.

To clarify - I added a “whole-house” group that contains all my props (except matrix and mega tree). But when I add an effect to that group, it only puts the effect on the top prop in that group (for me, it’s Arch 1). Not sure what I’m doing wrong…

Ok thanks - so use the “Whole house” group, add a ripple effect to the middle prop, and copy and paste that effect to the rest of the props one beat later or something? I’m not following how to use the “whole house” group if I’m actually adding effects to individual props.

Appreciate it! Link to screen shot of whole house group definition below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wb62ahnb794oy57/whole house screen shot.jpg?dl=0

And here's what the whole-house group with a motion effect inserted looks like...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7v5x915bpd6r9zr/whole house motion effect on one prop.jpg?dl=0

Problem solved! I had added motion effect rows for each prop in the group, but not the actual group itself. Working great now. Thanks!

• Like 1