Light-O-Rama Forums

Is it possible to make a 'chasing' circle of lights?

thirtywest

I am not sure if I'm seeing the products page properly, but I'm trying to make a PVC "circle" about 5ft in diameter on which to have a rope light (or similar) of chasing lights.   Not a single small section racing around but rather enough gaps to give the impression of a wheel rotating about 3 rpms would work.

Is this something that can be done with LOR?

If you want a chasing circle with anything other than RGB lights and a smart controller you would be required to have one string light bulbs and if it had 50 bulbs in a circle 50 channels to control it in the AC world.

Easier and more affordable to make RGB circles

You can also do it with incans via an AC controller by putting two arches together. Turn on then fade off each section and using the chase function in the sequencer. It would take at least two controllers to accomplish it, alternating the controllers for effect or chasing across the controllers. Depends on the effect you are after.

I suspect use of AC (rope) would require 4 or more (opposing) pairs of segments to give even a decent 'cogged' rotating effect.

The more  (and smaller segments) pairs, the smoother it should appear.

I have a 6 pair Candy cane propeller  (I converted the generic AC mini lights to LED strips and feed those from 2 (ungrouped) RGB ports on a CMB24 )

If it is truly a "wheel" you could put 8 spokes on the wheel and have a channel per spoke and create your movement that way. The actual "rim" would be lit all the time but the spokes would give the visual of it turning.