Light-O-Rama Forums

Anyway to view controller IDs?

minellix

Is there any way from the LOR software to view the IDs of running controllers while a show is running? For example, if I have 2 controllers in my setup and shows are running, is there a way to see what the live IDs of the controllers are during the show, using the LOR software?

29 minutes ago, minellix said:

Is there any way from the LOR software to view the IDs of running controllers while a show is running? For example, if I have 2 controllers in my setup and shows are running, is there a way to see what the live IDs of the controllers are during the show, using the LOR software?

Not that I know of.

HU (Hardware utility) can only look at one COM port at a time. AND it usually does it at a slow speed- Bi-directional (Not Enhanced mode)

In S4 Sequence Editor, you could query what channels (and the Network they are assigned to) IN TA+HAT Sequence. It does not know if no one is home as long as the Network adapter is discovered (the show just goes to the bit bucket )

OK What are you trying to cure?

You can't do it without disrupting the show.

Why do you need to read the IDs while the show is running.  The controller IDs don't change by themselves between setup and showtime?  The exception would be controllers that have switches to set the ID, but you over-rode that by changing the IDs with the Hardware Utility.  If you later power cycle the controller, the ID will revert back to what the switches are set to.  Has noting to do with the show playing or not, but rather the power being cycled.

This is a feature the programmers were considering adding into S6. I agree its needed but for a troubleshooting aid during a show running. They're concern though is the amount of bi-directional data flow needed if it was to constantly update. I made the suggestion of quick test between sequences but their standard HU utility takes too long so they'd have to dream up something else.

An Enhanced Network is not Bi-Directional, thus the problem.. The Data is streamed without a return confirmation

Edited by Jimehc

I wasn't aware that the "enhanced" network only was not a standard RS485 comm protocol. I was thinking rather it was just a faster comm chipset therefore enabling higher speeds with supporting hardware. Now you've got me thinking that I need to fire up my HU and see what it'll tell me about anything attached to that network rather than just the Regular network.

22 minutes ago, dgrant said:

I wasn't aware that the "enhanced" network only was not a standard RS485 comm protocol. I was thinking rather it was just a faster comm chipset therefore enabling higher speeds with supporting hardware. Now you've got me thinking that I need to fire up my HU and see what it'll tell me about anything attached to that network rather than just the Regular network.

You can not mix controllers (that do not support enhanced) on the same network, if you enable that mode for that network.

Input devices (controller) can not be configured on an enhanced network

2 hours ago, Jimehc said:

An Enhanced Network is not Bi-Directional, thus the problem.. The Data is streamed without a return confirmation

I just now confirmed that an "Enhanced" network (Red Adapter) is indeed a bi-directional network. I did so using the HU to update firmware on a CTB16PCG3 controller. I'm certainly not saying that LOR employs the bi-directional usage during shows as I'm sure there's a problem with slowing things down but Regular and Enhanced Networks are in fact Bi-Directional. As TheDucks stated, obviously hardware on an enhanced network need to be able to support those speeds. Good example are the older CTB16D controllers, will not support enhanced. No clue about the new ones.

In essence, when an Enhanced network is running, one of the commands from the show player is basicly "everyone else: SHUT UP - I'm the only device allowed to transmit".

What that does is remove the requirement to leave gaps in the data to allow other devices to transmit.  That by itself approximately doubles the throughput of the network.

When the Hardware Utility is running, it does NOT tell other devices to shut up - as that would render the HU totally useless.  In other words, the HU always runs non enhanced.

1 hour ago, dgrant said:

I wasn't aware that the "enhanced" network only was not a standard RS485 comm protocol.

The electrical standard is plain old RS-485.  The LOR data riding on that network has the ability to tell the controllers to shut up.

Back to the original question - why do you think you need to check the controller IDs while the show is running?

• Like 2