Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie4 wont light 2nd string of 50 pixies

bktalon

I recently bought another pixie4 from wowlights, I currently have 4 other pixie4's,and a pixie8, all running on aux network, and 10 regular 16 channel boxes running on regular network ( everything bought from wow lights)

the previous 4 pixie4's all run 50 pixie ribbons, and the pixie8 runs 8 sets of Intelligent RGB Pixels 50ct with End Connector (all 12v) all run perfect with no problems.

my  Superstar License Level is: 60_CCR and i am using s4 software.

for the life of me, I can not get the second string of pixies to light on any port on the new pixie4, except for the first 3 pixies on each string. I have the config set to 100 pixies with logical set at 50, and the lights set to ws2811 800hz, with no jumpers on the board. I read that I might need PI, so I purchased 4 PI 12volt, with the T's, and they still do absolutely nothing. the only thing I noticed is, with the PI on, and the pixie4 unplugged, I have power at the pixie4 at the status indicator, is that normal?

also, all 8 pixie strings are within 25 feet of the pixie4 running with extensions also purchased from wowlights.

I am sure I am just missing something simple, but my brain is fried from working 60 plus hours a week, to rush home and try to keep the wife happy with these damn lights, and I am stumped

Power injection is not supposed to back feed to the controller. (you are supposed to pull  the 12V+ pin (in the T) from the previous string, which is why you see the LED on when it should not be.

Also Power injection supplies should all have their Negatives (only) ALSO tied together with the main supply (and not rely on the string negative to do that)

First 3 nodes?  Have you tried making those strings the First, to see if they behave as a 50?

I have tested the 2nd string for each port as the first 50, and they all work properly.

9 hours ago, TheDucks said:

Also Power injection supplies should all have their Negatives (only) ALSO tied together with the main supply (and not rely on the string negative to do that)

is this referring to if I made my own wires? I bought the PI and the T's from wowlights, and just plugged in the cords. how would I go about tying them together?

am I just messing up a setting in the pixie4? It is set up the same as my previous ones except for the ID of it, I made sure no overlapping on them or the sequences

Wow Lights is thin on usage. They imply Plug and Play 🙄.

Those Tee should have a In, Out, PI  . The In side +12V pin should not be connected to either the Out +12 or The PI +12. (use a volt meter or test light with the PI power not attached. You should NOT see 12V when the Pixie is powered on)

https://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=Power_Injection#Power_Injection_using_an_TEE

I am not a fan of their recommendations.  There is nothing wrong with the power supply by itself. But scroll down the WiKi to other Multi Supply setups and you see.

Negative is a 'reference' to both power and data.  They should be tied to a common point, no thru a ittiy bitty  wire on the string

Another flaw of non-segmented power, is those supplies will try and run everything if the others do not come up properly/evenly. (they may go into shutdown, if they can't handle the load)

100 12V nodes should be fine without PI (measure at the far end. 11.4V is a safe minimum when light are on)

I replied to your PM with a couple questions to start with.

You should not need PI as my friend above states.

We can continue in the PM and may at one point have to remote it.

JR