Light-O-Rama Forums

Using Pixie16D to control LOR RGB Singing Trees - Advice/Help needed

Orville

Tried a search, but got all kinds of stuff, but not what I was lloking for.

Just wanting to understand that I am doing this set properly for the Pixie16D to have it control my 2 LOR Singing Christmas Trees.

I opened up the HU with only the Pixie16D connected, went to the configuration area and set Port #3 to Ralphie, and I set Port #5 to Zuzu.

My controller is Unit ID #15 for the base ID, so in the SE I would change the current setting for Ralphie to ID #17 {Port 1 lights} and would not need to add Port #4, ID #18 which would be where the 2nd Port lights would attach.

Zuzu is on Port #5, ID #19 {Port 1 lights}, but would not need to add Port #1A which would be where the 2nd Port lights would attach.

I'm not sure where I go from here, I think this is correct in the set up in HU, but not sure how this would work in the SE exactly.  Do I need to delete the 2nd port for them in the SE?  Just leave it alone, but not program anything into those channels?   I'm trying to cut back on the number of RGB Controllers in my display, so trying to figure out just how this works in the SE with the Pixie16D, the Pixie2D was challenging enough and JR walked me through that one, but the Pixie being a multi-port controller, just trying to make sure I only make the necessary changes to the proper ports and not mess up anything else.

The Pixie16D was added to the sequence before I changed these ports for the Singing Trees, so just making sure I'm going about this correctly!

Thank you for advice, help, or suggestions to make this easier.

Edited by Orville

• The title was changed to Using Pixie16D to control LOR RGB Singing Trees - Advice/Help needed

My controller is Unit ID #15 for the base ID, so in the SE I would change the current setting for Ralphie to ID #17 {Port 1 lights} and would not need to add Port #4, ID #18 which would be where the 2nd Port lights would attach.

Zuzu is on Port #5, ID #19 {Port 1 lights}, but would not need to add Port #1A which would be where the 2nd Port lights would attach.

Controller Done... In Preview set Ralphie to 17 it will use 18 also - set Zuzu to 19 it will use 1A as well.. DONE...

Edited by Jimehc

Orville is using S4, so Preview does not apply.

Been long enough since I have setup S4, that I don't remember the details.

Orville, use the visualizer and change the unit ID's to represent yours. 

Follow the video I made for you 4 years ago to set up your pixie2 and the vis file. All you do is change your unit ID's.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

Orville is using S4, so Preview does not apply.

Been long enough since I have setup S4, that I don't remember the details.

LMAO - how would he know that, wait, its in the profile. 

• Version:4.4.16   License Level:Pro

you all knew what was meant - but the experts here once again find the need to insert themselves to criticize ....

Good Day...

Edited by Jimehc

Orvile

Setting the Tree name->port is invoking the Macro Mode . You sequence just 8 Nodes (page 21 of the Pixie Manual,V1.06). If you have sequenced by (regular) node, don't set the controller port with the tree name

8 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Orville, use the visualizer and change the unit ID's to represent yours. 

Follow the video I made for you 4 years ago to set up your pixie2 and the vis file. All you do is change your unit ID's.

JR

Thanks everyone, I figured it out, and now have all 4 singing LOR trees set up in the Pixie16D.  Even though I only have Ralphie and Zuzu at present, never hurts to be prepared for the future.

Yes, I also updated the visualizer using the wizard to change the ID #'s to the Pixie16D.   Once I recalled how it was done with the Pixie 2D, it was a really quite simple.  But I hadn't fooled around with messing with the Singing Trees on a different controller until this year.   Now instead of having to use the 3 Pixie2D's I have, all their items are now on the Pixie16D, so this will eliminate extra cat5 cabling and drop 3 controllers out of the display that I can now use for other projects or use as spares.  Probably use them as spares, just in case.

Also have my HC Chroma Cross on the Pixie16D as well as the 6 HC 10W RGB Smart Floodlights.    Sure going to make decorating a wee bit easier now, that's for sure.   Just got to redo the Chroma Cross by removing the 5V RGB nodes and replace with 1 strand of 100 RGB nodes and remount it.  Had to order a few HC extender cables for the light connections, already have plenty of HC to LOR RGB lights conversion cables I ordered last year, along with a few for the 6 HC Floods.

Just wish my N4-G4 MP3 Director would have come back in fully 100% operational condition, but the real time clock doesn't work at all on it.  So can't use it for running shows now.  Since it's hung and stays on 12.00AM and never changes. :(   Was really hoping I had my N4-G4 Director back in full operational mode, just not to be. :(

Just means I have to unmount my FM Controller and move it inside the house near the computer now.  It sits right next to, and opposite, the N4-G4 MP3 Director enclosure.

Just hoping everything I have will run at 500K and all on one network, as without the Director i only have 2 Networks, 115.4k Regular CTB16PCV2 and 500K AUX A for 9 CCB100D 5V controllers [900 Nodes total], the Pixie16D running my Chroma Cross [100 nodes] and the 2 LOR Singing Christmas Trees {400 nodes total for the Trees}.  Not sure if that is a total of 1400 nodes or 4200 nodes, if broken down into each R,G,B color channel.  That part always gets me confused on how to correctly count the actual number of nodes used.

Anyway, just hoping I'm far below the maximum node count on either score so that everything runs fine during show time.

And now I just have to update my old sequences to the new settings and start putting up the other components of my display, mainly a few Blow Molds, the LOR singing trees and the Chroma Cross.  And I should {I Hope} be ready to start on Thanksgiving Evening, if not sooner.

4 hours ago, Jimehc said:

you all knew what was meant - but the experts here once again find the need to insert themselves to criticize ....

Not trying to criticize at all.  You gave a correct answer - for S5 or S6.  However according to Orville's profile, he is using S4, and there is no concept of a Preview (that sets your channels) in S4.  Channel setting is completely different.  That is one of the big reasons that it is so important to have your software version and license levels displayed correctly here in the forum.  Answers to questions often are radically different depending on one or both of those variables.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jimehc said:

Good Day...

When you are wrong you are wrong.

You did/ do not know anything about S3/ S4.

Big difference between a Preview and a Visualization file or Animation window.

I do think 9-10k posts over a few hundred may mean some of us know what we are talking about.

Constructive criticism is how people learn.

JR

One word.... Preview or Visualizer - Visualizer became Preview..... So a little petty.... After configuring the Controller, you must reconfigure the Prop Definition..

Or what ever you Older folks want to technically call it... For which he already had the right concept of thought...

Constructive criticism is how people learn.

Which is why Folks turned to Facebook - to much Expert Criticism Here...

And there is a big difference between "Correcting" and "criticizing" someone...

In Zoom Room - you where "Corrected" - Not "Criticized" about resizing custom prop grid...

But if I was to criticize, the + and - are "Zoom" buttons

Edited by Jimehc

No, the visualizer is nothing absolutely nothing like the Preview. 

Well other than you can see how your lights work.

At least I admit when I am wrong! I always have.

JR

On 11/3/2022 at 7:42 AM, TheDucks said:

Orvile

Setting the Tree name->port is invoking the Macro Mode . You sequence just 8 Nodes (page 21 of the Pixie Manual,V1.06). If you have sequenced by (regular) node, don't set the controller port with the tree name

I set it using the Tree name, as they are set up for the 8 Channel setup.  Originally, when I first got them, I thought these singing trees were going to be a nightmare, having to sequence each node individually, but JR helped me change that to the way they are easier to sequence {DUMB RGB mode} and set up using just 8 channels.   So yes, they are set up in the pixie under their respective names.   Helps me keep everything straight in my display. LOL

But thanks for the info.

Just to set the record straight, what everyone has said here, none of it did I take as criticizing.   Just folks trying to help another LOR User accomplish their mission in making sure things were being set up properly.

And I thank everyone for their input.  Hopefully, one day I'll finally get acquainted with S5 and move on with that and further.   But for now, S4.4.16 Pro serves my purposes, so sticking with what I know best for now.

Again, appreciate everyone's help, and I never took any of the comments here as criticizing.

Thanks again everyone!

EDIT:  P.S. Don or any LOR Moderators, I feel this topic has run its course, please feel free to close it at your discretion.

Edited by Orville