Light-O-Rama Forums

Looking to add video for television

bturner

I have a spare tv not being used and would like to place it in the window to show video instead of spending the money to build a large matrix. But I'm not sure how to connect the tv to my setup or making a prop for the tv. I run entire lor show through dmx on a alphapix board. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Its simpler than you might think. First you need to make the TV into a monitor by connecting it to your video card. Now that's assuming you have a dual output card. You could have two video cards and make it work. Next, your source video needs to be set up as your media file in the sequencer. From there, in the preferences(Video tab), you need to tell the sequencer which monitor to use. Also, in the show player, you need to do the same in the settings, first by putting the playback window onto the monitor you wish and then telling it to run it full screen. Now you get to sequence your video to your lights as you wish.

41 minutes ago, dgrant said:

Its simpler than you might think. First you need to make the TV into a monitor by connecting it to your video card. Now that's assuming you have a dual output card. You could have two video cards and make it work. Next, your source video needs to be set up as your media file in the sequencer. From there, in the preferences(Video tab), you need to tell the sequencer which monitor to use. Also, in the show player, you need to do the same in the settings, first by putting the playback window onto the monitor you wish and then telling it to run it full screen. Now you get to sequence your video to your lights as you wish.

If they don't have a second port. Get a USB Video card (Like Diamond Multimedia). It won't keep up to a Gamers wants, but it will do fine for simple video (like YouTube)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dgrant said:

Now you get to sequence your video to your lights as you wish.

I can figure out all the video connections (I'm actually thinking of using a projector, but I digress). So how would you sequence a matrix to only play to the video output? I know how to take a movie clip as the media file. I've tried it using video of the same audio version of some of my sequences and crated a new version using the video as the media and then copy/pasting all my lighting channels into it and works fine.. So how would get a matirx to work only on the video channel? 

Remember first that the resolution of the average matrix is quite poor. In the sequencer, select the entire row for your matrix effects row. Now select the Motion Effects option. Now select the "Movie" option. Select the location of the video and say Ok. It'll take a bit to do all the calcs needed but it will work. When you play it on the simulation display, you should see the video. When you play it to the matrix, you'll see it. My lesson learned which I knew it was going to be a problem, my matrix is a 24x50. Needs to be a 24x300 but then my Pixcon16 won't work with it which would require me changing to a Falcon. So more money for new strips and new controller.

Edit: 24x50 = 3600 channels, but 24x300 = 21,600 channels

Edited by dgrant
  • Like 1

I don't see any reason why you can't create a video of the scrolling text and select it instead via the Motion Effect but easier yet, just select Text from the Motion Effect and set up your text from there! You still select the whole row or the part of your row you wish in the sequence, therefore it allows you to change text during the sequence.

• This topic was locked and unlocked