Light-O-Rama Forums

Computer problems.

cbelt4

I am still a newbie. So I figure I should post this here.

The computer I use for my show is showing its age. My question is if I dump this computer. So I want to return to windows 7 and of course windows will upgrade to 10 I believe.

Will I lose my sequences or is that saved in the hub? ( not on my computer right now).

First thing you need to do is insure you Back Up all of your sequences and I'd suggest, back up all LOR files. Make sure they are placed somewhere else, not on that computer. Such as a portable drive or a flash drive, cloud or whatever be your choice. You can do as you wish for your computer but returning to Windows 7 when you already are running Windows 10 and LOR 5.6.8 was already working fine on Windows 10, seems like a huge step backwards too me. In my opinion, you "might" induce" greater problems.

Have you allowed the system upgrades to take place from Microsoft? Are you keeping your AV software up too date? You didn't say what the computer is doing or not doing so its difficult to diagnose via this method. One thing I can suggest, if you know how, open a command prompt window and enter the following command without the quotes: "sfc /scannow" the touch the enter or return button. It'll take some time, but let it run. If you don't know, the sfc stands for "System File Check". There is another method if all else fails, you can use MS's Media Creation Tool. It will generate a new OS without wiping out your personal files or programs, essentially curing any MS ills, however I still strongly suggest you back up first.

As dgrant said, going back to 7 from 10 doesn't make much sense. !0 is every bit as good as 7 and can be made to look and behave almost identical.

Windows 7 is way past ant support or updates now and can put you at risk online. 

You should also realize that "stepping back" will not be simple. You will need to reinstall Win 7 from scratch using a disk or download, and you will need your license key.

Phil

IIRC there was a way to disable the KB that nagged (and ultimately tricked you to updating) to W10.

There are valid reason to Stay with 7. 

Media Center could use my USB HD Tuner. W10 could not. W7 would use my old MFC completely, W10 can only print. I could use my shop XP as a RDC client with W7, Not allowed with W10.

But, I agree, if the OP does not have any of these issues, W10 is more better (for now. When MS turns off all W10 updates, the hardware will need to be replaced 🥺)

8 hours ago, cbelt4 said:

Will I lose my sequences or is that saved in the hub? ( not on my computer right now).

As stated, no, but you're going to get my backup reminder:

As dgrant stated, always have your sequences backed up to another drive. I use Google but you can use OneDrive or even a USB. I decided to stop using a PC for the show and bought a showdirector. There are limitations but for me the showdirector does what I need it to do. I too had to get a new PC this year so I use the new PC to do all of my editing, sequencing, audio work, etc. Then create a SD card for the show director and then I am done. The showdirector isn't for everyone but it does work well.