Light-O-Rama Forums

Generation of the Controllers

EARLE W. TALLEY

Can anyone tell me what Gen these controllers are: I can't post any pictures because I'am out of space, but if you look at the pictures in my post about "Controllers for Sale"  you can see them, #5 and #6 some have CTB16DV5 and some have CTB16V7.

Thank You 

Earle 

Thank You JR, I have never messed with any of the metal controllers so I was at a loss, always used CBT16PC  controllers

Earle.

25 minutes ago, EARLE W. TALLEY said:

Thank You JR, I have never messed with any of the metal controllers so I was at a loss, always used CBT16PC  controllers

Earle.

Earle, since there is really no such thing as a GEN 2 CTB16 controller take a look at it and it should not have the red dome led status light like the metal controllers do. They were actually Gen3 controllers that the pcb's were miss stamped.

Also in HU it would indicate G3.

JR

The loaded firmware v# may also give a clue  Gen 3 numbers from 1.x, while the older ones are 4.x (if current)

1 hour ago, TheDucks said:

The loaded firmware v# may also give a clue  Gen 3 numbers from 1.x, while the older ones are 4.x (if current)

Thanks for the info, the CTB16DV5 and V7 have 4.32 or 4.40 in the firmware.

Jr and duck ,we have been around a long time and we have replaced many TRIACS over the years and know what the symptoms look like, I just ran across where I replaced a TRIAC and it made no difference, please don't tell me it could be the Triac opto-isolator , if that's the case I won't change it, I changed one years ago and my skills aren't that good anymore.

Earle

I have no depth perception any more, so I have not replaced a TRIAC. The real issue for me id R&R the heat sync and getting 32 insulators perfect. I probably could do a MOSFET on my CMB24 as there are only 4 screws holdin the board in place. Between my trusty blue solder sucker and sold-a-wick That might be still doable.  5 second jobs now take me 5 minutes

3 hours ago, EARLE W. TALLEY said:

JR, I thought all of us old guys worked on our controllers at sometime.

Earle

I only build and work on RGB controllers. I used to work on Xbox's and Play Station game consoles with my handy reflow stations but stopped after a couple arm surgeries. Not as good as I once was. (Toby). Im still a spring chicken compared to some of you. I learned a lot from you pioneers.

JR

7 hours ago, dibblejr said:

I only build and work on RGB controllers. I used to work on Xbox's and Play Station game consoles with my handy reflow stations but stopped after a couple arm surgeries. Not as good as I once was. (Toby). Im still a spring chicken compared to some of you. I learned a lot from you pioneers.

JR

Yes I understand, but people like you and The Duck has passed on a lot of information to these younger folk and that is priceless.

Earle

• Like 1