Light-O-Rama Forums

PIR Input to trigger Sequence

filetme

Hi folks,

I am looking to use a Windows 10 PC to run my LOR Sequence and I would like it to activate when a PIR sensor is triggered.  Where can I fins some documentation that describes how to do this?

Very much appreciate any help.

Phil Lamey

First of all, a PIR is just another mode of Switch. One that needs motion to trigger.  Most wired Alarm systems use them, so that will be your largest choice.

Seeing your location: Pay extra attention to the low temperature rating. (you will need to shelter it, as the less expensive ones are usually indoor.)

Special needs: you will need 12 (or 24)V power to run the sensor. A simple wall wort will do if you can't tap the PSU (because it is 5V) used with the DC type controllers. Be safe: fuse that line. You need 4 conductors to run a typical PIR.

The contacts are 'dry' and what connects to the header in your controller or input PUP (see your LOR device manual, near the back for trigger connections

The controller/pup can NOT be on an enhanced network. (AC controllers before Gen 3 are great candidates as the can't be on enhanced either)

19 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

First of all, a PIR is just another mode of Switch. One that needs motion to trigger.  Most wired Alarm systems use them, so that will be your largest choice.

Seeing your location: Pay extra attention to the low temperature rating. (you will need to shelter it, as the less expensive ones are usually indoor.)

Special needs: you will need 12 (or 24)V power to run the sensor. A simple wall wort will do if you can't tap the PSU (because it is 5V) used with the DC type controllers. Be safe: fuse that line. You need 4 conductors to run a typical PIR.

The contacts are 'dry' and what connects to the header in your controller or input PUP (see your LOR device manual, near the back for trigger connections

The controller/pup can NOT be on an enhanced network. (AC controllers before Gen 3 are great candidates as the can't be on enhanced either)

I am using the 5V PIR sensor usually used for Raspberry PIE implementations.

My output sequence just has DMX controllers so there is no LOR controller involved here ... just the sequence created in the LOR Pro software (latest version).

What I am looking for is:

In a windows world how does that sensor get interfaced with the Windows device?

How does that trigger sensor inform the software that it is time to run a sequence? 

I don't see anything in the control panel for shows that are anything but scheduled ... Nothing there so schedule on trigger.

I must be missing something.  Do you know of any sample setup videos or other resources?

Much appreciated.

From what I am seeing it will not work at the OS system as I was expecting.  Need the input PUP to interface with LOR.

All good.

Does anyone know of any way to run a sequence from the command line?  I will try to create a python script to execute.

I'm on my phone with crappy coverage and the website is not rendering right - so hopefully the reply works.

I use a trigger to start my year round landscape show every night, so I might be able to help.  The output from the PIR will connect to a LOR input - either on an InputPup or an AC controller that MUST be on a non-enhanced network.  In the show options is the settings to start on a trigger.

More when I have better coverage ..

Right now I have a PixCon16 and two older LOR controllers ... These are all intended for output so I doubt they can be configured to take input.

I don't have an InputPUP which is what I think I need to make this work with LOR software.

10 minutes ago, filetme said:

Right now I have a PixCon16 and two older LOR controllers ... These are all intended for output so I doubt they can be configured to take input.

I don't have an InputPUP which is what I think I need to make this work with LOR software.

As long as they are not on an Enhanced Network, They can accept up to 3 triggers (contacts) In HU switch to the Advanced configuration form. That is where you ser the type of contact being used.

The PixCon16 MUST be on an Enhanced network, but if you mean two older AC controllers, they have inputs.  Or buy an InputPup (they are cheap).

On 10/9/2022 at 11:12 AM, filetme said:

Does anyone know of any way to run a sequence from the command line? 

I don't believe that is currently possible, but that would be a great feature request.