Light-O-Rama Forums

SuperStar 6-Channel Star in S5/S6

Steven

The SuperStar "Configuration Setup" dialog has a "Star in Use" radio button. This shows an easy-to-use set of 6 boxes on the left, which could be useful for me. But I have some questions:

1. Is the star always 6 channels? (Not a problem for me, since my star is also 6 channels, just curious, since there doesn't seem to be a way to set it.)
  2. Do the channels of the star have to be single color, or can they be RGB?
  3. Does this star even work with S5/S6, or is this not compatible with the Preview?

The 6 channel star in S4 is for stars made from traditional lights so each star is a single channel.

There are Props for the legacy 6 channel star in S5/S6. While in Preview Design click on "Add" and one of the options is "Superstar (online)"  There are options for "12 CCR with legacy star" and "16 CCR with legacy star."

There is also an option for "16 CCR with RGB star"

If you are still using S4 I can send you a visualization for "16 CCR with RGB Star"

I'm using S6. My star is not a "legacy star" or an "RGB star". The best way to describe my star is a prop file, so I have attached it.

I have it in a group with my 360° 24x50 pixel tree, and it works okay, but I'm wondering if the way I put it in the preview is the most optimal, or if there is a better way.

Pixel Star.lpeprop

I got prop for your Pixel Star. It is a unique star.

You are supposed to be able to go into Preview Design and do the following:

select the Pixel Star prop

click on the Edit menu and select "copy prop to Advanced Shape"

double click on the Advanced shape and click on "Edit Advanced Buffer Layout"

Erase all the numbers and just put in 1-6 in the squares where you want the buffer grid to be

But I have not been able to get it to work for this case, possibly because there are more than one number in the original shape

The best work around I have found is to double click on you original custom shape and put 1-6 in the upper left of the grid. The Sequencer seems to take the first things it finds in the upper left to put a grid at.

If you need further clarification let me know.

Thank you. I didn't know about the "Copy prop to Advanced Shape". I may end up using that, but there are pros and cons. After trying various other things, using my custom-placement "Pixel Star" prop works very well with Motion Effects. It also works acceptably with SuperStar, with the minor issue that I have to edit the sequences I purchased from you to move the star effects to the right place.

The bottom line is that I'm satisfied with what I have now. If ever need to rebuild my star, I will make it out of pixels instead of dumb RGBs.

In case you're wondering why my star is so unique, this is why:

• My style is to build props with high reliability and durability, and use them for many years, improving the sequencing every year. This pixel tree was built in 2015.
  • In 2015, pixels were not as reliable as they are today.
  • The star cannot be serviced once the tree is up, because I don't have a ladder that tall.
  • I also had a bunch of spare dumb RGB nodes.
  • Therefore, I built my star with highly reliable dumb RGB nodes and a highly reliable 12v DMX controller board.
  • As I was limited to 8 channels or less, 6 seemed a reasonable number.
  • On the other hand, the branches of the tree are made of pixels tie-wrapped to 1/2" conduit, painted black, with a hook on top. They can be removed and inserted from the ground. No ladder is necessary to erect this 20' tree.