Light-O-Rama Forums

Does USB845 adaptor have to be LOR?

Dcroc

I broke my LOR 845 adaptor.  Seems the fastest I can get a replacement is about a week.  I do have another USB to RS845 adaptor that I haven't tried yet.  Does the adaptor HAVE to be the LOR unit?  Also, since I can't seem to get the older model I've been using for 8 years (non HS), I had to order the HS model.  Anything I need to update, or install ahead of time, or is it plug and play?  Will I have to go into the LOR settings and change the comm port?

1 hour ago, Dcroc said:

I broke my LOR 845 adaptor.  Seems the fastest I can get a replacement is about a week.  I do have another USB to RS845 adaptor that I haven't tried yet.  Does the adaptor HAVE to be the LOR unit?  Also, since I can't seem to get the older model I've been using for 8 years (non HS), I had to order the HS model.  Anything I need to update, or install ahead of time, or is it plug and play?  Will I have to go into the LOR settings and change the comm port?

Yes or fix it using Windows Device Manager.

Windows remember the COM it assigns and will avoid reuse. In the device manager :LPT-COM ports: remove the old number since that adapter won't ever be used again. Then plug in the new one: You should see it appear: If it has the old COM, you are done. If not: Righ click it: Properties: Port settings (tab): ADVANCED (button): make it SO: OK OK

Edited by TheDucks
need 2 OK

15 hours ago, Dcroc said:

Can I use any USB to RS845 adapter?

Other people have had success with generic RS485 adapters, but...

You will need to make a jumper cable, because the LOR adapter has this pin-out:

• 3: +9v
  • 4: D+
  • 5: D-
  • 6: Ground

Other generic adapters may use a connector that is not a 8P8C (often referred to as "RJ45"), or they may use the DMX pin-out, which is:

• 1: D+
  • 2: D-
  • 7: Ground

Use the LOR Rs485 adapter I've been doing this a long time, by trying to save a few dollars you're just creating more problems it's hard enough to get everything connected properly when you have problems you will be second guessing yourself could it be the generic rs485.