Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie16/S6 into traditional display

rearview67

Having trouble pinpointing the issue because of several changes to my setup this year.   After adding the pixie16 and upgrading to S6 and added several RGB strings to my traditional display, I've noticed some weird things.  The most noticeable is my traditional lights that are sequenced to "Shimmer" has become erratic.  The shimmer used to be crisp and clean and I can't figure out what's causing this.

How many pixels. How many networks. What speed are the networks. We need much more info to answer.

A Pixie16 can demand a massive bandwidth (compared to AC or Dumb RGB).

Depending on the era your older controllers are, they may not support speeds above 115K or Enhanced mode. You need 2 Networks (minimum),

Leave the old for Last years controllers and add a new High Speed (HS) Network for the Pixie (The Adapters used to be Red, But I think they are now Black, so be sure to mark them)

I have the black adaptor and running one enhanced network. 500k.  I think I found the issue.  I'm also using a new laptop this year and my sequences were stored on the cloud (Onedrive).  I think the sequencer was pulling from the cloud.  Once I copied my sequences to the hard drive the problem went away.  As I grow the display I will definitely add a new network for the rgb controllers.

On the original (non-enhanced) LOR protocol, the show player sends a "shimmer" command to the controller, and the controller does the shimmer timing using the firmware on the controller, which is very regular (crisp and clean), because the microcontroller does not run an OS, and thus has very precise timings.

Question: How does an ELOR network do shimmers? Does it send a "shimmer" command like the non-enhanced LOR network, or does it send each on/off separately, which would then could alter the shimmer timing depending on the speed of the computer and network saturation?

I remember this issue years ago when LOR first added DMX support. The shimmer on DMX was not "crisp and clean", so instead of using DMX directly, I used an iDMX1000 competitor (from SanDevices).