Light-O-Rama Forums

50X12 Matrix Project being considered ~ Advice requested

Orville

I have an old bookcase that is missing it's internal shelves, the backing is thin enough I could convert this into a matrix.  Thinking about using 100 node RGB square nodes for this project.  That is 5- RGB nodes across and 12 nodes down, not sure if the old bookcase could do more than that, it about 3 inches" wide and about 30 inches tall and the matrix would be recessed back about 20 inches give or take an inch or two.

Would this matrix be a good size for doing words or some fairly decent graphics? {I'll be using 6 strands of 100 count RGB Square nodes}.

How close together should the nodes b?  Should they be touching each other or what would be recommended for separation placement between nodes across and down for at least a decent looking matrix?

Or should I just not consider this project because it would be too small for what I want to use it for?

How difficult would a matrix be to program in the sequence editor {4.4.16 Pro}?  I currently DO NOT have Superstar, so would be programming it in the SE only at this time.

The nodes would be 1 to 50 from left to right, then double back right to left with nodes 51-100, again 6 strands of 100 RB nodes.  Will be using an Pixie16D - 16 port controller to operate the matrix.

Anything else I might need to know, or want to consider before undertaking this project?

Thanks in advance for your input folks.

P.S. The bookshelf will be weatherproofed for outdoor usage.

Oops:  Didn't catch this: it about 3 inches"

That should have been: "It's about 30 inches wide."

My Matrix is a total of 55 inches wide & 40 inches deep. So it is 32 x 50..... spaced 1 inch apart. You would need to space your pixels closer together to fit in a 30 inch space. I use Superstar and so I cannot comment on sequencing a Matrix in the Sequence Editor. The Pixels I had for my 24 x 50 Matrix were spaced 1.5 inches apart. Saw it great from 35 feet to 60 feet.  Actually even a bit further. Now I an curious as to how my new compacted Matrix will look. I am hoping it will look good at 60 feet away.

On 10/7/2022 at 10:23 PM, weigh2fast4u@yahoo.com said:

I am not sure that you would fit 50 in a 30” line. 

I was wondering about that.  I haven't pulled the bookcase out to verify if that's possible or not.  It's stashed behind another one exactly like it, so I measured that one since it is identical.  Guess I need to pull it out, get a strand of the 100 pixels and see just how many will fit inside the area I have to work with.  The first one is full of stuff, so, I guess it'll be fun time later on, as I'm going to havr yo pull it out, clean it up and see what I might be able to utilize it for, if a matrix isn't possible with it.

1 minute ago, lightzilla said:

My Matrix is a total of 55 inches wide & 40 inches deep. So it is 32 x 50..... spaced 1 inch apart. You would need to space your pixels closer together to fit in a 30 inch space. I use Superstar and so I cannot comment on sequencing a Matrix in the Sequence Editor. The Pixels I had for my 24 x 50 Matrix were spaced 1.5 inches apart. Saw it great from 35 feet to 60 feet.  Actually even a bit further. Now I an curious as to how my new compacted Matrix will look. I am hoping it will look good at 60 feet away.

Yes, I'm intending to place the square nodes directly against each other.  I have 100 square node RGB 12V pixels, and not sure what that spacing may work out to be from pixel to pixel with them literally touching{butting} right next to each other and the next line would also butt up next to the pixels above them.  All the pixles would be butted up against each other as they are install top to bottom line.

Hoping I could get them all in 50 across and 12 down.  Not sure how well it may be seen, but the matrix would be recessed inside the bookcase, keeping any extra light {I hope} from any exterior sources from interfering too much with the matrix lighting.  Hoping that having it recessed like that would help to make it more visible, but only from a straight on view.

And I'm not sure about having it limited to a straight on view, any opinions on that option?   Just trying to figure out the best way to make a matrix that would be easily viewable.   But, having never built one, I'm not exactly sure how to start and make sure it's a workable idea.

@Orville Squares? A bullet HOLE is 12+mm (the do buldge) so 0 clearance between is not a good plan. OTOH Squares are lots wider and the have wires coming out 2 sides, makin row spacing different than column spacing if packing them tight. I think this is why everyone uses those 'panel' modules. The LEDs  are  on a single substrate.

I don't think 100 pixels for a matrix that will be displaying text is enough. I would suggest using a 25x8 pixel (200 Pixels) Matrix if you plan on using it for text. I have found with 1 inch spacing the words are clear form a long distance and still look good up close. Any smaller then 8 pixels down and the text gets messy and any shorter then 25 across, larger words won't fit unless you are scrolling them. I would say strictly for text, a 50x8 matrix works best. I have a 25x8 that scrolls "TUNE TO 107.3 FM" and it works prefect as a Tune to sign. 

I missed the part about having 6 strands of 100 pixels so you should do a 50x12 and use 1 inch spacing I would us a 56"x 18" centered board. This would leave 2 to 3 inches on the outer edge for a framing if needed. With a 50x12 one inch spacing the Matrix will be seen clearly. there will be no interference from other lights. 

Edited by Box on Rails

Orville

here is the distance test of my golf cart matrix. 27”x36” 1200 nodes 

A smaller matrix with close spacing - this one a 1/2” spacing bullets.

Edited by dibblejr

Thanks all.   I'm now thinking maybe I should just buy a pre-assembled{?} matrix and forget about building one.  Just sounds like too much work and trouble.

Do these matrixes come pre-assembled, or do I still need to add my own RGB nodes to them.

If pre-assembled and ready to go, any suggestions on where to buy them?   Even if I have to add my own nodes,who makes these things for an inexpensive proce?

Recommendations and links, please.

Thank you.'

Edited by Orville
Fix my typo blunders

Building a matrix compared to a kit will save you about half the cost. I purchased my matrix panel from HolidaySequences  for $75. I believe Boscoyo sells one as well.