Light-O-Rama Forums

Multiple Controllers (AC to RGB)

Durty

Hello,

I only had on AC controller last year and have upgraded to 2 AC controllers and a RGB tree.

Looking at this video, it seems to suggest I'm supposed to plug in all of my adapters to the computer to find out which COM port they are.  But, I only have one adapter and I thought you chained the controllers together so I was under the assumption that only one USB port is used (thus, only one adapter).  But, this video seems to show plugging in several adapters to find out which COM port each controller will be on.  Am I completely misunderstanding this, can someone assist?

Yes, you can daisy chain your controllers - with some exceptions.  Because of the large number of channels, Pixel controllers need to be on high speed network and generally Enhanced LOR.  Newer AC controllers can handle both high speed and enhanced networks, but older controllers can not.  If you have old AC controllers that max out at 115K speed and non Enhanced networking, you have no choice but to use multiple LOR networks.  Make sense?

12 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Yes, you can daisy chain your controllers - with some exceptions.  Because of the large number of channels, Pixel controllers need to be on high speed network and generally Enhanced LOR.  Newer AC controllers can handle both high speed and enhanced networks, but older controllers can not.  If you have old AC controllers that max out at 115K speed and non Enhanced networking, you have no choice but to use multiple LOR networks.  Make sense?

I think so but I'm unsure how to check if I have old or new AC controllers.  I bought them brand new (one last year and one this year).  So, the assumption would be they all work on the same network (COM port), yes?  I can plug in my 1st AC controller, then daisy chain the 2nd one, then daisy chain the pixie controller and they theoretically could all be on the same port.

Okay, let me see if I have this correct.  Two networks (one slow, one high speed), using two USB/COM ports on my computer.  Can the CTB16PC's work off of a RS485 HS adapter?  If not, how do I order just a regular adapter (to have an extra one).

Computer>COM5>RS485 Adapter>CTB16PC Controller>Daisy Chain>CTP16PC Controller

Computer>COM6>RS485 HS Adapter>Pixie 8 Controller

38 minutes ago, Durty said:

Guess not, they are CTB16PC which only go up to the 115k.

RED Led on the board is Gen2, Green is Gen 3 

BTW Basic Plus will not do enhanced mode

And

Unless your tree is a Pixie 2, you do not have enough LOR ID (You must have 1 ID per port on a Pixie whether you use it or not. Pixie8 uses 8 ID's

34 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

RED Led on the board is Gen2, Green is Gen 3 

BTW Basic Plus will not do enhanced mode

And

Unless your tree is a Pixie 2, you do not have enough LOR ID (You must have 1 ID per port on a Pixie whether you use it or not. Pixie8 uses 8 ID's

Thanks, I just bought Pro license today...didn't update my information (thanks for the reminder).

I have green LED so does that mean it does high speed?

16 minutes ago, Durty said:

I have green LED so does that mean it does high speed?

Correct.

• Like 1

• The topic was locked