Light-O-Rama Forums

S6 Channel testing uses ELOR

k6ccc

This is NOT intended as a bug, but something to be aware of.  I have no doubt that it is working as intended, but caused me an hour of grief last night.  Apparently if a LOR network is configured as Enhanced, and you use the channel testing built into the S6 control panel, the testing will be performed with the network in Enhanced mode.  This is in contrast to the Hardware Utility that ALWAYS runs non-Enhanced.

Here was the scenario.  Because of some re-arrangements in my year round landscape lighting, I replaced a CMB16D with a CMB24D.  So that I did not have to change the preview at the time, the CMB24D was given the same Unit ID and the same channel assignments (for now) as the CMB16D that it replaced.  Should be a simple drop in replacement.  After getting it all hooked up, I pulled out my phone and used the phone app to go into channel testing to test the three RGB dumb strips that are connected to it, and nothing would work.  Confirmed all my new wiring, and even pulled out a 12 volt power source and was able to correctly power the lights from the controller end of the cable - so it had to be the controller.  Traded controllers to another CMB24D with the same result.  Also went back to the show computer and tried from there, and nothing worked on the CMB24D.  I will note that while I was doing all this, the evening landscape lighting show was "running", but does not actually "start" until it gets dark (an hour away).  Finally shut down show player, and started the Hardware Utility.  Everything worked fine from the HU.  OK great.  Dinner was waiting for me, so re-enabled the show, went inside and had dinner and watched the start of the Dodger baseball game.  The evening show started and low and behold, the three RGB strips are not lighting.

All of a sudden, it dawned on me that when I was in the HU, I had noted that the CMB24D had old firmware (but that did not register at the time).  I am very much aware that both the CMB16D and CMB24D required a firmware update in order to operate on an Enhanced LOR network.  Of course any of those controllers sold in quite a few years would have new enough firmware, but I was using old controllers.  Grabbed my laptop and spare USB to RS-485 adapter (another reason to have a spare), went out to the yard and removed the CMB24D from the show network and plugged it into the spare adapter and did the firmware update.  Put it back into the show network and it worked fine in the landscaping show.

Edited by k6ccc

9 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Apparently if a LOR network is configured as Enhanced, and you use the channel testing built into the S6 control panel, the testing will be performed with the network in Enhanced mode. 

That is what I would expect. Channel testing is not the Hardware Utility, which is old software and can expected to do old stuff. Whenever the Control Panel is running, and has not turned control over to the Hardware Utility, I would expect it to use the network configuration that is configured.

I pointed out because I'm sure there are many that won't put that 2+2 together.  Remember, with S5, the HU would request that the CP release

the network.