Light-O-Rama Forums

Hurricane Ian ~ Florida Decorators Check In

Orville

Well, I'm In Orlando, and we stayed put with our 19 cats, 4 of them 1.5-week-old kittens, in our manufactured home{glorified mobile home}.  We got some winds, tons of rain and no damage. My current 6 RGB Outdoor Controllers that control year round lighting made it through unscathed.  We had a few brief power hiccups, but never lost power completely.

I know a lot of folks are still without power in Florida, but for those that have had it restored or never lost it in Florida, How did you folks fair with Hurricane Ian?

Still lots of clean up and many areas still flooded, along with many roads damaged by the floodwaters.  Many Areas are still being assessed.

Hope everyone is okay in Florida, after this very destructive and massive 500 year Hurricane we just went through.

P.S. we had 20 cats, but one older kitten passed away just a few hours before Hurricane Ian hit within our area, she was only 5 months old, but she had some medical issues.  Nothing to do with the Hurricane itself.  That was our only loss during this event.

Glad you made it through Ian OK.  Unfortunately a bunch did not do so well.  The news coverage was ugly!

Sorry to hear about the kitten.  Always sad.

And Ian is not done yet, so hold on North and South Carolina...

19 Cats 😲.

I thought having 5 was a nightmare. My biggest used to say goodnight by jumping from the bookshelf onto my chest as I lay in bed. 19 lbs. landing on you  ...

My last 2 leases prohibit pets (other than a fish. I hate fish.) 

Glad you survived. Another Tuber I watch lost A LOT of trees and a chicken coop (they had moved in with the running Generator). Give me Ca Earthquakes any day (Yes, Loma Prieta was a doozey. I was on the throne when it hit. I watched the shower walls flex 😲 in ways I thought not possible.)

Here in Jacksonville we were very fortunate.  Hurricane passed below us going out of the state, and then curved around us on the way to the Carolina's.  I think we ended up with 2 inches of rain where we are at, and maybe wind gusts of 40 - 45 mph.  I have been emailing and helping a fella down around where it made landfall.  I have not heard from him and am a bit worried for him and his family.

Just found out that we are still having Flood Warnings in several counties still yet, some to expire on Tuesday 10/5/2022 at 2am and others on Thursday 10/7/2022 at 2am.  Fortunately, Orange Country where I live isn't one of them, but I have a sister in Brevard County that is still under that flood warning area.  Haven't heard from any of my 3 sisters that live in Florida.  So I still don't know how they came out as yet.  Have some friends that live in Osceola County, and they are still under the flood warnings as well.   I believe Brevard, Volusia, Osceola, Lake, Seminole and possibly 1 or 2 others are still under flood warnings.

Most of those counties will get flooded again due to the St. Johns River will bring floodwaters down from the North to the Atlantic, since we have at least two major rivers that flow South in Florida, which these counties are affected by one or both of these rivers, possibly others that are still very high.   So looks like not all of Florida is out of the trouble zone from Ian just yet.   Hope those folks come through it okay.

The areas that really got hit with the flooding were very ugly and terrible.  Many homes completely destroyed and now uninhabitable by the floodwaters getting so high in those areas.  In the flooded areas we had alligators swimming along the streets, getting into the flooded homes, along with other critters you wouldn't want to come in contact with.  That is a bit scary.

After one Hurricane, I was walking through a park on an elevated boardwalk above a wetland area and found an 8-foot alligator literally stuck up in a tree about 15+ feet off the ground!  Don't know how or if it got out of the tree, when I saw that, I turned around and got out of the area very quickly! LOL

O glad you are safe. 👍

What amazed me was the Internet coverage that was still working (phone and better) video that was coming out of there real time with all the wires and power down. (All we need now, is one of our members posting their show running during that blow 🎏)

For all the regulation around here, The Cable company does not insure telephone service during a power outage (I have a big UPS under my desk, so I can power my router for hours, but there is no (longer?)  default battery in/with the routers they provide.  5G Internet is not available for my address (flight path?) or I might switch and save (hardly watch Cable channels)

I was looking at weather reports from several weather stations on the Ambient Weather network in the Key West area the morning after Ian passed west of Key West, and was surprised that the winds were not any higher - until I say that ever station had gone away for most of the night (at the same time).  I assume loss of power or internet had killed all of them.

Hope everyone is safe.

I am in the midlands of South Carolina luckily it moved just north of where we are. We got about 4” of rain off of it. but nothing major… South Carolina’s bad one was Hugo back in 89. It also hit as a cat 4. And stayed that way for about 100 miles inland…. I wasn’t born until 91 so all I hear is stories… glad yall came out okay!

On 10/2/2022 at 12:26 PM, k6ccc said:

I was looking at weather reports from several weather stations on the Ambient Weather network in the Key West area the morning after Ian passed west of Key West, and was surprised that the winds were not any higher - until I say that ever station had gone away for most of the night (at the same time).  I assume loss of power or internet had killed all of them.

Hope everyone is safe.

We watched WESH 2 {NBC} on METV 2.2 all before, during and after the storm.  Just a couple of small power hiccups, but all our local channels WFTV 9 (ABC) and WKMG 6 {CBS} continued to operate normally, along with their other sub stations, which kept their normal programming.  METV was the only substation that pre-empted their programming for the storm {just before, during and after}.  No idea why Channel 2 was the only station that pre-empts their subchannel programming every time a major storm comes through.  Shoot, they even do it on some of our local Thunderstorms, which are sometimes worse than what we got from Hurricane Ian.  Kind of annoys me a wee bit, as I would sometimes prefer to watch the regular shows on METV instead of 24/7 weather coverage that I could just go down 1 channel to WESH 2 to watch the coverage.

On 10/3/2022 at 2:33 PM, bdwillie said:

I finally heard from the fella I mentioned earlier.  He and his family are ok!  A relief!

Happy to hear they made it through OK bdwillie.  Last count they stated we've had over 100+ deaths due to Hurricane Ian in Florida. :(

On 10/3/2022 at 6:44 PM, weigh2fast4u@yahoo.com said:

I am in the midlands of South Carolina luckily it moved just north of where we are. We got about 4” of rain off of it. but nothing major… South Carolina’s bad one was Hugo back in 89. It also hit as a cat 4. And stayed that way for about 100 miles inland…. I wasn’t born until 91 so all I hear is stories… glad yall came out okay!

Glad you made it through.  I've lost count how many Hurricanes I've been through in Florida, born in '56.  I know one hurricane we had when I was a kid, the street and neighborhoods I lived in at the time flooded, don't recall the exact year, getting old. LOL 

But I thought it was cool that after it passed through completely, I could sit on our front porch and fish from it for about 2 days.  Had a few alligators swim by through our flooded front yard, just came up to about 1/16 of an inch below our front porch.  But nothing flooded as bad as Ian gave us this go around in many areas.

This hurricane took a lot of folks by surprise with the amount of flooding that occurred.  It was a shocker, that's for sure.