Light-O-Rama Forums

Sequencer Wouldn't Stop

dgrant

I've run into this a couple of times. While sequencing, I was playing the sequence to review while watching the preview and when I went to touch the stop button, it wouldn't stop. Tried the space bar, same thing, it kept playing. Touched the stop button several more times and finally it stopped. I quickly checked the task manager for a background process eating up CPU/DIsk time but nothing unusual or high rates. I saved my work, closed the sequencer then closed the CP, restarted the CP and restarted the sequencer. Seemed fine after that.

I always assumed it was me!  Doesn't happen often either.  I know a few times I have accidently hit alt and the space key at the same time on the keyboard and sequencer keeps right on going, and when I look up and I have a dialog box open under files,  but that is pilot error for me!

In Windows, only one window can have "input focus" at any given time. As long as the main Sequencer window or the Preview Playback window have focus, then the space bar should work to start/stop. Using the mouse is a little more complicated. If the main Sequencer window has focus, then the first click on the playback window (anywhere on the window) will give the window focus, but will NOT register a button click, even if that is where you clicked. Once a window has focus, button clicks are sent to the software. This is true of any Windows software.

How do you tell if a Window has input focus? In Windows 7 and earlier it was easy to tell because the entire title bar of the window was a unique color. In current versions of Windows you have to look at the close and minimize buttons in the upper right corner of the window. If they are dimmed/gray, then the window does not have focus.

Matt

I understand that and knew that. This was a case of using the mouse to touch the actual stop button, several times and it ignored me. I've noted that it actually stopped once when I touched the stop button on the previewer display while it was running. Yes, with the sequencer focused, I also tried the space bar but it ignored that too. Eventually it gives up and stops. Its as if some other process is eating up the cpu time and not letting the command go through but I saw nothing on the task manager that was eating up time.