Light-O-Rama Forums

Media file cannot be used

chillaxin711

All, I am new to this forum.  We have been using the light-o-rama S5 sequencer v5.5.16 for about 2 years.  Today was trying to create a new musical sequence from a mp3 file that I had used last week.  Only this week I am no longer able to open any mp3 file and keep getting a Media file cannot be used error with a message saying "Unable to get the total time of the media file"

Send help please :-)

Run the MP3 file through any program similar to Audacity and resave it to a new name. I think the issue is the number of the sampling rate. Make sure you select the export as CBR(Constant Bit Rate) and not VBR(Variable Bit Rate). Then select it as the new media file in the sequencer.

I think I also read somewhere over the years that LOR recommends a 128 bit rate and it has to be CBR, I could be wrong but that's what I set all mine at.

• 4 weeks later...

So after doing more research, it turns it it was my bitdefender.  I added a Rule to allow the lorsequencer.exe to run and it hasn't had an issue since.

I am having this same issue after updating to S6 from S5.  Audacity made no difference. I do not have any AV enabled atm.

Resolved.  I needed to have an audio device connected to my computer for S6 to work with the file it seems.  Connected a speaker and works fine.

Edited by edtrac