Light-O-Rama Forums

iOS and macOS users

Olly bee

Hello members,

With the amazing help of the folks here on the forum I’m about to make my purchase through light o Rama  and I wanted to ask you guys a question about the software that would control the pixie4 with 214 pixels 

my question is

I’m a macOS user and iOS user… I would like to have these lights to be used by an app and connected (if possible) to a google voice assistant

what additional hardware would I need for this if I buy the stuff in my purchase list?

my purchase list 

pixie4 bundle with 4 x 15 feet extensions and 4x50 pixels = 200pixels

https://store.lightorama.com/collections/rgb-packages/products/pixie-4-bundle

additional 50 pixels to bring the pixel count to 214 which I will splice to the ends and make

107 pixel line for the first run and 107 pixel run for the second

https://store.lightorama.com/collections/rgb-pixels-bulbs-ribbons-and-floods/products/rgb-strings-12v-50-count-squares-no-dangles

additional dongles for the ends might be required to add the addition 7 pixels to the end 

The LOR software is strictly Windows based.

As for an app, the new S6 software does have app (both Android and iOS) that does give SOME control of a playing show, or the ability to start or stop a show.

With some creativity, you can use a Google assistant to have VERY limited control of a show.  I did that for opening night for my Christmas show last year.  Here is what I did.  LOR has the ability to start a show based on a trigger from an input device.  I set up my Opening Night show to start based on a trigger from one of the inputs on an InputPup.  That input was connected to a 5 volt reed relay that was powered by a 5V USB wall wart power supply.  The wall wart was plugged into a Wyze brand WiFi controlled power switch.  My Amazon devices have been taught how to control that switch.  I took one of my Echo devices into my front yard and had it hidden behind a tree.  When I was ready to start the show, I told a little story about why I was doing something different to start the show, and then said "Alexa, turn on light show".  The echo responded "OK", turned on the WiFi controlled switch with energized the relay which triggered the input, and started the show.  Got a good laugh when I made the request.  And yes, I tested the whole process a bunch of times.

What are you trying to accomplish with an app or Google control?

Btw do you need a windows computer to be constantly connected to the controller? Or can you preload all the shows onto the controller and have a timer go on when you want the pixels to start the show?

If you have a fairly simple animation only show (not likely with pixels), you can load the sequence onto a controller and it will play whenever the controller has power.  To play a musical sequence or more than one sequence, you need either a computer or director connected to play the show.

On 10/4/2022 at 12:22 AM, k6ccc said:

If you have a fairly simple animation only show (not likely with pixels), you can load the sequence onto a controller and it will play whenever the controller has power.  To play a musical sequence or more than one sequence, you need either a computer or director connected to play the show.

I see… the reason I ask is because the controller box will be in the garage and there is no room to have a computer constantly connected to it. Plus it’s not a insulated garage so I can’t imagine any pc servicing the winter in the fridge temperatures…

Btw what is a director is that an addition component connected to the controllers?

48 minutes ago, Olly bee said:

I see… the reason I ask is because the controller box will be in the garage and there is no room to have a computer constantly connected to it. Plus it’s not a insulated garage so I can’t imagine any pc servicing the winter in the fridge temperatures…

Btw what is a director is that an addition component connected to the controllers?

You have 4000' (total network length) for a LOR network cable to reach the controller from the USB adapter.   Tht means you could drop a Cable out of a window  at the top of the CN Tower to a controller on the ground with length to spare 😛 😁

• Haha 1