Light-O-Rama Forums

New computer, new Com ports

Paul Masterson

Hi all

I am running this years show on a new computer and the new computer has new com ports available that do not align to my prior computer's configuration, nor can I change them without knocking out other settings. The prior computer was running Com3 - Regular (Enhanced) and also Com 5 - Aux A. Now I have Com 4 and Com 7 available on the new computer. I assume I need to modify something to allow the show to run but am at a loss of where this is. Thoughts and assistance?

Thanks in advance

Edited by Paul Masterson

Network Preferences is where you set that.  For each LOR network, you select which comm port is used.  If you don't know which one (4 or 7) is which adapter, open the Windows Device Manager and expand the ports section.  Plug ONE of the USB to RS-485 adapters in and confirm which port shows up in the Device Manager.  Then plug in the other USB to RS-485 adapter and confirm which comm port shows up.  Also because this is a new computer, you may also need to install the device driver for the adapters.

Perfect, thanks, that was it. A totally separate question, actually 2  :)

Jumping from S4 to S5, I see that there is now an option for 1000k Speed. I have been running 500k (Enhanced) on the regular channel which has a mixture of normal and pixie lights. When would I choose to move to 1000k from 500k?

2nd question, is there a simple page that tells me the number of pixels that are default with purchased controllers / props like the faces, CPC and PixieCon 16. Since I have to reset the ports, I'm also concerned that recent CPC purchases may have pushed me over the limit of a single com port running the show. This page (RGBPlus Networks and Unit IDs | Light-O-Rama (lightorama.com)) seemed interesting but it also said not to change the configuration that the CPC come with and yet my stars came on port 1 and this page says it should be 19, so IDK.

Thanks again

2 minutes ago, Paul Masterson said:

Jumping from S4 to S5, I see that there is now an option for 1000k Speed. I have been running 500k (Enhanced) on the regular channel which has a mixture of normal and pixie lights. When would I choose to move to 1000k from 500k?

Only the Pixie series controllers can run at 1000K.

6 minutes ago, Paul Masterson said:

2nd question, is there a simple page that tells me the number of pixels that are default with purchased controllers / props like the faces, CPC and PixieCon 16. Since I have to reset the ports, I'm also concerned that recent CPC purchases may have pushed me over the limit of a single com port running the show. This page (RGBPlus Networks and Unit IDs | Light-O-Rama (lightorama.com)) seemed interesting but it also said not to change the configuration that the CPC come with and yet my stars came on port 1 and this page says it should be 19, so IDK.

I'm not sure I understand the question.  Here are a couple possible answers.  A 500K enhanced network should be able to handle 1,200 or so pixels (depends on show complexity).  Almost all LOR controllers come with a Unit ID of 01.  Changing which comm port is which LOR network has no effect on performance or sequencing.  I have never dealt with the CPC, so no specific answers there.

3 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Only the Pixie series controllers can run at 1000K.

I'm not sure I understand the question.  Here are a couple possible answers.  A 500K enhanced network should be able to handle 1,200 or so pixels (depends on show complexity).  Almost all LOR controllers come with a Unit ID of 01.  Changing which comm port is which LOR network has no effect on performance or sequencing.  I have never dealt with the CPC, so no specific answers there.

Pixie series and the Pixcon16 can run at 1000K

3 hours ago, Paul Masterson said:

Perfect, thanks, that was it. A totally separate question, actually 2  :)

Thanks again

You can change the Unit ID however do not change any of the other settings. Like the old macro channels. I think you are confusing ports with Unit Ids.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

You CAN use Windows Device manager to change the COM# of the LOR adapter to match the old numbers.

Previously, other adapters used some of the low numbers on my Laptop. Now they all use Com10,11,12,13 (Reg,AuxA,AuxB,AuxC)

[my adapters are marked _,A,B,C]

12 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

You CAN use Windows Device manager to change the COM# of the LOR adapter to match the old numbers.

Previously, other adapters used some of the low numbers on my Laptop. Now they all use Com10,11,12,13 (Reg,AuxA,AuxB,AuxC)

[my adapters are marked _,A,B,C]

Yep.  Generally can't assign a device to a com port number that is already in use - or at least it may not work right.

My three LOR networks use Comm port 3, 4, & 5 and for the most part I think of them as networks 1, 2, & 3 (as opposed to Regular, AuxA, & AuxB) and cables are all marked with 1=Brown, 2=Red, & 3=Orange color marking tape or heat shrink tubing - electronics techs will recognize the resistor color code in use there...

And all LOR networking Cat-5 cable is purple.  Other color cables for other types of networking.

Edited by k6ccc

My Laptop has a Modem (used that once, at a customers site that did not have DSL, waaaay back in 2003) on Com3. )Some of my desktops still had LPT, COM ports back then.

The same Laptop was used with a RS232 USB adapter to configure Data and Security equipment, thus the low number COM ports were REQUIRED by their utilities)

Habit now (mostly).

• The topic was locked