Light-O-Rama Forums

Light String Plug Repair

bajantechie

Hi Folks,

I have a number of LED Light Strings with cracked and broken male plug ends. How has you all gone about repairing yours?

Any suggestions on how I can go about repairing or replacing them with some kind of fused plugs would be welcome.

Thanks for your help.

Ron.

I'm sure there are replacement plugs available but I usually just solder a plug on from strings I have cannibalized from light strings that were bad. If I can fix the light string with a new couple bulbs or resistor or whatever it gets repaired. But if it has a lot of bad bulbs or the bulbs are sealed type and more than a few are bad then I just cannibalize the remaining good parts and throw them in a plastic bin for later use.

Keith

7 hours ago, bajantechie said:

Hi Folks,

I have a number of LED Light Strings with cracked and broken male plug ends. How has you all gone about repairing yours?

Any suggestions on how I can go about repairing or replacing them with some kind of fused plugs would be welcome.

Thanks for your help.

Ron.

AC Plugs  or RGB (low voltage)?

A number of our hobby suppliers offer Vampire plugs models WITH FUSES. Your problem is, many (most) LED strings use smaller than SPT-1 wire, that does not fit tight. You would need a short piece of SPT spliced to the string.

Hi Keith,

That's a good idea to cannibalized a few bad strings, didn't think of that. Two heads better than one 😀😀

Would you believe I only just gave away a bunch of faulty strings, I could do with those plugs now 🤔 Should I ask back for them? Nah that would not be nice of me.

TheDucks,

My problem exactly, the string wire is so small it will leave room for water seepage in an SPT1 plug. But your suggestion of splicing a piece of SPT1 wire is a good one.

So both suggestions are good thanks for your help.  Now for me to be able to solder those fine wires on the light strings. I always have trouble stripping those wires...

Ron.

6 minutes ago, bajantechie said:

Hi Keith,

That's a good idea to cannibalized a few bad strings, didn't think of that. Two heads better than one 😀😀

Would you believe I only just gave away a bunch of faulty strings, I could do with those plugs now 🤔 Should I ask back for them? Nah that would not be nice of me.

TheDucks,

My problem exactly, the string wire is so small it will leave room for water seepage in an SPT1 plug. But your suggestion of splicing a piece of SPT1 wire is a good one.

So both suggestions are good thanks for your help.  Now for me to be able to solder those fine wires on the light strings. I always have trouble stripping those wires...

Ron.

Dialectic grease or RTV (after seating and testing the wire. Slide back the cap, and add a dab)

• The topic was locked