Light-O-Rama Forums

Text Issue with Effects Generator

Denny
Go to solution Solved by MattBrown,

Is anyone having problems with the text feature in the Motion Effects Generator?  I used the generator extensively in version 5 but am having a lot of problems in Version 6.  I have a scrolling matrix 8x100 that I use to enter messages such as "Tune To,"  Happy Halloween, etc.  Even though I can enter the text with spaces in the box, the result that the text generator creates ignores any spaces between words, running all words together.  It will not change the font or background colors even though it shows the colors selected.  Sometimes, it raises or lowers letters.

If I use a preview that was created in version 5, everything works as expected.  If I use a new preview created in version 6, I have all the problems listed above.

I did some testing.

1) I do see that S5 and S6 text effects handle multiple spaces in a row differently (e.g. "1        2"). This will be fixed in the next release of S6.

2) I couldn't find any issues with text or background colors. However, if you provide a more detailed description of the steps to reproduce the issue, or a short video, I will look again.

3) I did notice that having multiple fonts on the same line sometimes caused vertical offsets -- text with one font would be vertically offset from text with another font. However, when I tested the exact same text and fonts in S5, the text in S5 was displayed with the same vertical offsets. Since S5 and S6 are consistent in this regard, I don't plan to make any changes here.

4) Pasting text into the text box from another program (esp. MS Word) does cause issues in S6. In the text release, any time you paste text, it will be pasted as "plain text" (no formatting from the original document).

53 minutes ago, Denny said:

Matt,

Have been trying to get a video loaded, but files are too large even for a 1 minute video.

Post the video to YouTube, then post the link here.

Or put the video in Dropbox or Google drive and post the shared link here.

On 9/20/2022 at 3:04 PM, MattBrown said:

1) I do see that S5 and S6 text effects handle multiple spaces in a row differently (e.g. "1        2"). This will be fixed in the next release of S6.

This one was fixed in 6.1.2 -- just released.

• 2 weeks later...

Family was in the path of Hurricane Ian so haven't had the time to set up a You Tube account to post the video, hopefully, later this week.  I am curious though, does the text effects rely on Microsoft Word at all to format the text?  I use Open Office as a word processor and am wondering if that might be the cause of my problems.

On 10/2/2022 at 11:27 AM, k6ccc said:

I doubt it.  Windows fonts, but not Word related.

Correct. The Text* effects rely on the fonts you have installed in Windows, but they don't rely on MS Word or any other MS Office program being installed.

If the sequence is shared between two different computers and the font is not on both, I could see where things don't work at no fault to the LOR software. MS Office can install additional fonts, so its possible the installed fonts are not the same on both systems.

• Solution
25 minutes ago, Denny said:

OK, here is the link on youtube that shows what I did:  https://youtu.be/DuCmPtvhW9M

Thanks for the video. You need to type in your text first. Then select the text you want to change, and then select the color, bold, etc.

Thank you Matt, that was the problem.

Had an unfortunate weather related incident yesterday just as I finished hooking up the matrix for a test run.  Had a microburst from a thunderstorm lift the matrix up and throw it on my roof.  Even though it was attached to the front of the porch, ripped all the screws/braces out and flipped it onto the roof.  Have a lot of repair work, including the three Pixie 16s before I can attempt a test.