Light-O-Rama Forums

2 CPC Package - 20x40 Matrix better with 1 pixie16 or 2 pixie8

GShelton

So maybe it doesn't make a difference, but it is about the same price either way.

I am wanting to build a matrix that is approx 16 feet long. By using 2 of the CPC Package - 20x40 Matrix packages it will give me the size I need. (https://store.lightorama.com/collections/smart-rgb-cpc-kits-coro-pixels-controller/products/cpc-package-matrix)

I am curious if it would make a difference if I just use 2 of the kits that come with the pixie8 controllers, or 2 of the no controller kits (https://store.lightorama.com/collections/prop-package-coro-pixels/products/prop-package-no-controller-20x40-matrix?_pos=2&_sid=e4289db1a&_ss=r) and then add the pixie16. Any benefit one way or the other?

I didn't want to open a help ticket for this, thought this would be a better place to ask.

IMHO The advantage of a single 16 is space (you might have to set 8 ports to Reverse if the controller is in the middle )

The disadvantages is the size and heat for the bigger PSU and all your lights are in 1 basket  (You can't limp by on a half a matrix)

Either two Pixie8's or one Pixie16 - same difference in Unit ID's used by Prop... But question is do you want to mount 1 or 2 controllers..

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

IMHO The advantage of a single 16 is space (you might have to set 8 ports to Reverse if the controller is in the middle )

The disadvantages is the size and heat for the bigger PSU and all your lights are in 1 basket  (You can't limp by on a half a matrix)

These are good points.

11 minutes ago, Jimehc said:

Either two Pixie8's or one Pixie16 - same difference in Unit ID's used by Prop... But question is do you want to mount 1 or 2 controllers..

Good to know. Mounting will not really matter in my case, but with the size, it might be better to have the 2.

I'm more of mind to think that if the initial cost is about the same, it would be cheaper to replace a Pixie 8 than a 16 if something goes wrong with half the board. And cheaper to eventually acquire an 8 as a spare (as long as you don't give in to the temptation to put the "spare" to use and then have to acquire another "spare." Don't ask me how I know!)  

11 minutes ago, GShelton said:

These are good points.

Good to know. Mounting will not really matter in my case, but with the size, it might be better to have the 2.

I built my own controller assy. I have 2 CMB24 (~same size as a pixie16) mounted side by side. My weather resistant PSUs (2) are external, on the back

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XssqectruJzV7RgB6YgUAjyPWDy9K_IY/view?usp=sharing

OK  I fibbed, there is also a Pixie 4 in the door

7 minutes ago, tlogan said:

I'm more of mind to think that if the initial cost is about the same, it would be cheaper to replace a Pixie 8 than a 16 if something goes wrong with half the board. And cheaper to eventually acquire an 8 as a spare (as long as you don't give in to the temptation to put the "spare" to use and then have to acquire another "spare." Don't ask me how I know!)  

Great point. And I feel the pain of using the "spare" LOL!

2 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

I built my own controller assy. I have 2 CMB24 (~same size as a pixie16) mounted side by side. My weather resistant PSUs (2) are external, on the back

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XssqectruJzV7RgB6YgUAjyPWDy9K_IY/view?usp=sharing

OK  I fibbed, there is also a Pixie 4 in the door

Nice use of space for sure!

$500 for two Pixie8's and $370 for a pixie16 - so there is a cost difference - you can get a spare Pixie16 "Board" with the cost savings...

24 minutes ago, Jimehc said:

$500 for two Pixie8's and $370 for a pixie16 - so there is a cost difference - you can get a spare Pixie16 "Board" with the cost savings...

Well, in THAT case, yeah the cheaper route.

Just to clarify. That was a Pixie16 RTG  you (properly) selected and not just a board.

You might confirm, that the pigtails are still compatible.

(and grab 9  (always have a spare 👍) extensions when you order)

32 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Just to clarify. That was a Pixie16 RTG  you (properly) selected and not just a board.

You might confirm, that the pigtails are still compatible.

(and grab 9  (always have a spare 👍) extensions when you order)

Yes, Pixie16 Controller - Assembled - 12 Volt System but I missed the dongles. https://store.lightorama.com/collections/rgb-products/products/pixie16-12v-complete?_pos=5&_sid=873c741f0&_ss=r&variant=42408625045749
So $30 more which makes it pretty much the same price.

• The topic was locked