Light-O-Rama Forums

New To LOR

Mike Eidenier

Looking for some help with sequencing my LOR. I have 2 - 16 channel control boxes and I am just going to be running LED light stings. I get confused as to how to sequence to the music choices I have purchased. Really want to do this on my own since sequences seem to be hard to find other than buying premade sequences at $25 or more for each one. I have the basics like 4 groups of 4… so that would give me 8 groups… but how to make them do their thing is where it gets confusing…. Any help would be appreciated 

Fully agree with tlogan on buying a few sequences in order to learn how to do it.  Also for those of us without much artistic creativity, it can help.  I fully admit that I can make the software do what I want - I just don't have the creativity to know what I want.  In my case, for most of my sequences, I purchase the sequencing for my pixel tree from one of several sources, and then use those colors and motions on the other props in my yard.  Saves me a ton of time too.  I still spend 20 - 50 hours for a song, but purchasing the tree part saves me at least 100 hours and for me, spending $50 to save 100 or so hours is money well spent.  Also the people selling sequences generally have far more artistic creativity than I do.  Because I purchase from several sources, I often see multiple ways to do the same thing, so it has helped me learn the software far better.  Just for the record, almost all of my sequencing is done in SuperStar.

• Like 1

I like to think we become artists in lights. We may not be formal artists but whatever we dream up, becomes artistic in its own way. I know when I've done a good job when I hear the kids out there saying their oohs and ahhs. Even better when people are singing along. As for the actual sequencing, I tend to listen to the song overall first and determine how I wish things to proceed. Such as starting out fast or slow, crescendos, replay of  areas and basically whatever I want to see turn on at whatever time. Fades, twinkles, shimmers and fades to accommodate the type of song it is and of course adding in whatever superstar, motion effects and so on. I do not turn on every prop for every song, rather I sequence for effect.

Mike, You can find 32 channel sequences on Ebay.  They are editable usually and sometimes not high quality sequences but for $7 what do you expect.  I bought 20 from there and none of there were great out of the box but worked to start.  each is built for that persons setup.  I also found that some of the timings that they used were shifted off about 1/2 a beat.  From personal experience since I am new too, like they said above buy one or 2 favorites and tinker with them.  Just make sure you save the original file somewhere else so if its gets destroyed by you you can load a fresh copy.  Also, If you can work on your sequence preview to lay out what you want things to look like before you bring in a new sequence.  it can get messed up if you art trying to fix it after words.  Use the youtube tutorials and other youtubers for setup and such it took me a long time just to get a light to turn on. 

I find it hard to do 32 channels. I started with 48 channels. That gave me one 12 channel tree, 16 mini trees & two arches. Remaining 4 channels were used on bushes & the house. 2007-2008.  Those 4 channels I just left on. I learned to sequence because some of the best sequencers using A.L. controllers send me sequences, then after the 2008 season I sold those controllers & went with Light-O-Rama & over 5 months I bought 10 PC controllers & thx to Holdman sharing his sequences back then I learned how to sequence for Lor controllers. Same idea for using the other controllers, but Lor has a better software.

So a smooth setup is what I like.

Thank you everyone for the ideas…. Hopefully this will help with my new adventures….. I have wanted to do it for years and this is kinda confusing for a newb like me. Normally I just run all my lights and inflatables and let them go but this is my ultimate… want to add a couple more AC boxes for 64 total channels and maybe add a pixie controller down the road for a mega tree… wife want to add the singing trees and I have to agree with her! So I want to make sure I get just my basic 32 channels doing what I want them to. The idea of buying a couple of the editable sequences sounds like my best choice so far, so I think that’s the way I’m going to go. Thanks for the help again y’all! And Happy Decorating

On 9/13/2022 at 12:16 PM, Mike Eidenier said:

... want to add a couple more AC boxes for 64 total channels and maybe add a pixie controller down the road for a mega tree… wife want to add the singing trees and I have to agree with her! So I want to make sure I get just my basic 32 channels doing what I want them to.

Welcome to the hobby (or sickness, or obsession)!  I started with 1 AC box and a simple "blue" 16x100 tree in 2014 with one song...this year will be 25+ controllers of various types on 4 networks, 25,000+ lights/pixels, 4 mega trees, and 11 singing faces.  It just seems to grow every year.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, hasslerk said:

Welcome to the hobby (or sickness, or obsession)!  I started with 1 AC box and a simple "blue" 16x100 tree in 2014 with one song...this year will be 25+ controllers of various types on 4 networks, 25,000+ lights/pixels, 4 mega trees, and 11 singing faces.  It just seems to grow every year.

ELEVEN singing faces? Sounds like I need to swing by again this year!

• Like 1

On 9/13/2022 at 5:16 AM, Mike Eidenier said:

Thank you everyone for the ideas…. Hopefully this will help with my new adventures….. I have wanted to do it for years and this is kinda confusing for a newb like me. Normally I just run all my lights and inflatables and let them go but this is my ultimate… want to add a couple more AC boxes for 64 total channels and maybe add a pixie controller down the road for a mega tree… wife want to add the singing trees and I have to agree with her! So I want to make sure I get just my basic 32 channels doing what I want them to. The idea of buying a couple of the editable sequences sounds like my best choice so far, so I think that’s the way I’m going to go. Thanks for the help again y’all! And Happy Decorating

Remember, you need to bump your license, Basic is only 2 dumb controllers and no enhanced mode.

You might as well go Pro if you are thinking Pixels (we know you are going down that path 😛 )

Y’all are years ahead of me!!! I’m just trying to get these 2 boxes going! Found some shared sequences on the FB page and going try and edit one or 2 of these to use…. Unfortunately not all have the channel descriptions so I’m going to have to guess at them

• 2 weeks later...