Light-O-Rama Forums

FED UP!!!

Robin

I have had it up to my eyeballs with this darn channel hopping!!!

I brought this up during BETA testing and it was considered to be a minor problem.
Minor my foot! Up, down, left, right!!! You go to click on a cell and you take your chances. This needs a fix before next year. Difficult enough keeping track of 600 channels let alone trying to play the bunny hop. :shock:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LightORamaDan

• Charles Belcher

• Max-Paul

• bob

I'm sorry, Robin, but I want to make sure that I understand what you're referring to. Are you talking about the issue in the following thread?

If so, I still haven't seen it happen. The next time that it happens, if you could please send me the information that I requested in that thread, I would appreciate it.

In the meantime, I will try again to make it happen.

I think that I know what he is talking about. LORII does this to me all the time. I'll go to click on a cell and I will usually end up selecting either the cell directly above the one I selected (most often) or the one directly below. At first I thought that I may not have selected the cell properly or that I must have gotten too close to a line which triggered the bug. But I have trained myself to click dead center on the cell and it still happens. It is very fustrating because when it happens you need to stop what you are doing, erase the mistake that was just made and then remember what you were at in the first place. The bug seems to be entirely random.

Bob,
You are correct. In fact, when fixes came out this was considered a nuisance and not a major problem during testing. True it is not major but boy does it P($$ me off. It will even jump from side to side but not nearly as often is down a row or two
So let me try to explain exactly what happens.

Set Play to Visible Screen.
Play section.
Go to top cell and as you go to click on that cell it will jump down to the next one. Sometimes do not even need to click it will just go down one cell. Here is why this is a problelm.

I have a mega tree with 104 channels. Lets say I want to make a run of some sort. Well instead of starting to the first cell I have started in the second. If I do not catch it in time I have a lot of moving around to do to sync it back up.

Also, in newer versions PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE think of a way to move blocks of channels to a new track. Moving 104 channels to a new track one channel at a time is tiresome. So is moving 80 mini trees. This was also a request in BETA last year. Thank you so much. Shucks I will even pay for this change!!!

I am having the same experiences. It happens infrequent enough that its hard to pay attention to but frequent enough to cause problems. I believe Robin is correct in that it has to do with selecting play ranges. It does not appear to happen when just going about typical cell manipulations.

I will pay closer attention and advise when it happens again.

Oh thank God someone mentioned this. I thought it was just me and I wondered what in the world I was doing wrong. I can say that it doesn't matter where you click in the cell you want, if LOR wants to jump up, down, left, or right it will.

This is a *very* frustrating thing when you notice it... and it's maddening when you don't and you wonder why something is lit up that shouldn't be and something that should be lit up is not!

-Jeff

I agree with everyone,

This happens a lot to me as well in both versions of the software. It's one of those things that doesn't affect the show as it's running so I tolerate it and just accept that it's going to happen. I just figure that with all the features, capability and upgrades to this software to make it way easier for sequencing that I can live with this for now. It's really the only issue I've had but Robin, I agree, at times if I don't pay attention then catch that 'little' mistake later, it does tend to prompt a choice word or two.

I don't know if any of you guys or gals with this problem have noticed but sometimes after playing the sequence in visible range I will hold the pointer over the cell I'm about to start working on and the cell info will pop up above the pointer showing what channel that particular spot is. Well I've had that happen to where you point at the cell and info of a different cell above or below the one it should be showing will pop up. If I took the time to do this after playing the sequence I could catch it before it happens every time. But who wants to take the time to do that, I usually just take the risk and click right away. But if you do catch it, just taking the visible screen and sliding it up and down with the slide bar on the right seems to fix the problem until you hit play again.

So I guess you can slide the screen up and down each time after playing the sequence or hit undo after it happens, I don't know, that's just what I've found from playing with it.

I'm having the same problem. LOR II. Windows 2000. Pentium 4 2.4 gig. Clicking on a cell, the whole page jumps, usually down, a row or two. Undo, redo. Gets a little agravating after a while. Robin, I feel your pain!

I just can't get this to happen.

How do you start play? For example, via the play button on the main window? Or the play again button? Or one of those on the Animator? Or mouse clicking Play/Start This Sequence? Or using keys to do that? Or something else?

How do you stop play? Just let it stop naturally? Or hit the "stop" button? Or something else?

Does it happen on musical sequences? Animation sequences? Both?

Does it happen when you have loop levels in your sequence? Does it happen when you don't have loop levels in your sequence?

Does it happen when you have the waveform displayed? Does it happen when you don't have the waveform displayed?

Does it happen when you have the time scale displayed? Does it happen when you don't have the time scale displayed?

Is it only after "Play Visible Screen", or does it happen at other times too?

If it happens frequently enough that someone thinks they might be able to catch it on video without too much of a hassle, I'd appreciate that very much.

This happens during sequencing. When I go to select a cell to turn it on, or paste a copied section, the whole grid moves up or down. So when I go to paste something to, say, channel 15, the whole grid moves and it gets pasted to channel 14 or 13 because as soon as I try to select channel 15, the whole grid moves. It has nothing to do with playing. It happens during sequencing. Does that make sense?

Robin - thank goodness someone else feels the same way

Bob...

How do you start play? For example, via the play button on the main window? Or the play again button? Or one of those on the Animator? Or mouse clicking Play/Start This Sequence? Or using keys to do that? Or something else?

By using the play button

How do you stop play? Just let it stop naturally? Or hit the "stop" button? Or something else?

let it stop naturally

Does it happen on musical sequences? Animation sequences? Both?

Both

Does it happen when you have loop levels in your sequence? Does it happen when you don't have loop levels in your sequence?

no loops

Does it happen when you have the waveform displayed? Does it happen when you don't have the waveform displayed?

both

Does it happen when you have the time scale displayed? Does it happen when you don't have the time scale displayed?

both

Is it only after "Play Visible Screen", or does it happen at other times too?

play visible screen and play entire sequence- those are really the only two I use

If it happens frequently enough that someone thinks they might be able to catch it on video without too much of a hassle, I'd appreciate that very much.

I wonder if it happens to be related to number of channels?:)

Dito here. I will click on fill and click and it jumps anywhere from 1 square to 6 squares. Ive tried restarting LORII and it seems to stop for a while but sure enough when you least expect it it happens again :X

If I open a musical sequence, select play, play range, visible screen, play the screen then stop it anywhere in the screen then hit most any key on the keyboard it will drop me to the bottom of the page (322nd channel).

I use a KVM switch and load minimal software on my runtime/development box. The sheet music I was using was on the other system so I would switch back and forth between boxes. (Num Lock, Num Lock, 1 for computer 1 and Num Lock, Num Lock, 2 for computer two. Everytime I would switch boxes I would come back to my LOR screen bottomed out.

I have selected a cell to fill and had the screen jump a cell above or below also but I cannot force this to happen like what I have shown above. The above happens every time for me.

The KVM requires no software so I know that cannot be the issue. Can anyone else get this to happen also?

Robin wrote:

I have had it up to my eyeballs with this darn channel hopping!!!

Amen. I've been annoyed by this so much that I am now nuts! Wait, I was nuts before that happened !

I find this thread very interesting since this is one time that I'm not having these problems and have never seen this happen on my desktop or laptops...I'll answer Bob's questions below hopefully to shed some light on this....I'm using the latest version of S2 (2.0.16). If it makes any difference, I am using the Microsoft Plus! Nature theme, and the mouse arrow has a sharp point to it that is very accurate for me.

Desktop PC: Dual 22" monitors - 3 Ghz Processor- WinXP SP3, 2 GB RAM, 1 TB disk space total (2 drives).

How do you start play? - Play button on main window

How do you stop play? Just let it stop naturally? Or hit the "stop" button? - Both

Does it happen on musical sequences? Animation sequences? Both? - I only do musical sequences and haven't seen it

Does it happen when you have loop levels in your sequence? Does it happen when you don't have loop levels in your sequence? - I don't use loop levels

Does it happen when you have the waveform displayed? Does it happen when you don't have the waveform displayed? - I do display the waveform all the time.

Does it happen when you have the time scale displayed? Does it happen when you don't have the time scale displayed? - I do display the time scale all the time.

Is it only after "Play Visible Screen", or does it happen at other times too? - I use both "Play Visible Screen" and "Play Entire Sequence"

I hope this helps.....

Randy

If I open a musical sequence, select play, play range, visible screen, play the screen then stop it anywhere in the screen then hit most any key on the keyboard it will drop me to the bottom of the page (322nd channel).

OK, this one I can get to happen. It has nothing to do with "play visible screen"; it has to do with stopping play prematurely (e.g. via the "stop" button, as opposed to letting play end naturally). And it's at least partially by design:

If you have "Highlight Current Event" turned on (in the "Play" menu), then the "selected" area will change during play, to show the current column that is selected. And if you stop play prematurely, we don't reset the selection to its pre-play state, so that you can easily see the column that you stopped on.

Then, whenever you use one of the arrow keys, its behavior is based upon the current selection, which (in this case) is an entire column. If you hit "left", for example, it will select the cell to the left of the final selected cell of the current selection, which in this case is the cell at the bottom of the column. So, if you're not already viewing the last channel, the display will jump there so that you can see the cell that you just selected (by hitting "left").

I've just made a little change so that it will operate based on the top of the column rather than the bottom. I figure this might be better (or at least less surprising) in more cases. But it still will "jump", just in a different situation - i.e. if you don't happen to already be viewing the top channel. We will have to think about how to get it to not jump in any situation, since, as I said, the current behavior is "by design" (albeit actually the implied interaction between multiple different explicitly designed things).

Actually Bob I have not given it much thought as to why it happens just that it happens.

I use my mouse exclusively and when doing the coro project songs I stop it all the time early, Even when it runs to the end it will still skip. However, like I said it does not do it all the time but seems to do it in clusters, in other words when it does it , it will do it several times.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bob,

I'm having the same issue, but it's not jumping way down or way up. It's just jumping up a channel or so. I captured a video of it happening here. The quality is not very good, but you can see whats going on.

You'll have to ffwd to around 2:30 to see it, then it happens again around 3:20, and you'll see that it doesen't happen every time. I notice that sometimes it happens right after I use the right or left arrow, but not always the case.

Do you think this is the same issue that Robin was having? I had just opened this sequence prior to editing it and had not played it during this particular session so I'm not quite sure that it is.

Thanks,

Steve