Light-O-Rama Forums

New Project Suggestions

Bartman

Not only am I new to the LOR family… I have not even started yet. I have been researching the LOR product and software (even downloaded the Demo version). Looked at the “Holiday Soft designer as well. I have been debating about going LOR for over 3 years. Welllll… My wife and I just purchased 6 acres in the country, very close to the city we live in and we both remember the Christmases when the kids were little (Both are grown and have 1 child each of their own) where we would go to the country and 1 house here put on an amazing display. Cars and kids from miles around would come to see it…So my question is:

We have budgeted approx $3000 for our “Start-up” (I have approx 10,000 lights and several displays already). The $3000 will need to cover hardware, software as well as any additional lights I need for “Mega-Tree” creation or arches, etc. Already have been buying extension cords, yet based on what I read here I will probably need more.

Yes we plan a budget to “Add-on” every year until we are satisfied with the display. (Not sure if that ever happens…J)

Any suggestions as to Where to start / What to buy / Etc would be appreciated. Oh yea I am NOT planning on filling the 6 acres up with light only about 2/3 of the road frontage as the lot is not deep yet very long.

Thanks in advance….

Bartman

$3000 is a good start up to work with to get started.

Once suggestion I would make and it would save you money is don't buy ext cords unless they are the 12awg cords to connect your controllers to your outlets for your main power runs if your controllers are not going to be mounted next to the outlets. Just buy some SPT in bulk and vampire plugs to connect your different display elements to your different controller channels. It is cheaper to buy in bulk and this way you can make sure you get the right length cords you need. This will save you a ton of money instead of buy ext cords for each thing. It will also give you more flexibility in your set up since you can make them to the lenght you need.

Thanks for the hint Texan. Good advise...

Can you run multiple object off the same line with the vampire plugs?

LOL @ Jeff...The width of the property would be a good place for 300 channels. Warmer in Texas too...:)

Great advise and thanks heaps. We are actually only going to do the current house next year. We plan on building on the 6 acres in early 2010. I am planning the electrical requirements for outdoor "year Round" lighting on the property and the Holiday display on a separate power box from the house completely. The property has a small running creek at the back going the full length of the plot and many trees and I already plan many up lights and floods so i know the power requirements will be substantial..

I will be starting small on the current house, probably a 16 channel mega tree, 4-8 channel arches and the rest of the channels going to lighting I already put up.

That way I can use all of what I do in 2009 when we make the move...

I agree I think this will become my "hobby for 6 months out of the year.

Thanks again for all the advise...

my.02

and I know I will catch a lot of flack for this suggestion

Join TCL - and think about going to a convention (CaCL - 2009 Memorial Day Weekend in Sacramento)

http://www.christmaslightscommunity.com/

There are many knowledgable people in the forums - if you have questions... ASK

and for tall trees - nothing beats a manlift