Light-O-Rama Forums

Using a Pixie16 with 10w floods

JoeBeezy1

I was looking at the manual for the pixie controller (https://www1.lightorama.com/PDF/Pixie_Man_Web.pdf) and it indicates it can emulate the CMB24d/CMB16d.  From the manual:

"CMB24D/CMB16D Emulation Checking this box causes a Pixie controller with smart strings to behave like a CMB16D or CMB24D with dumb strings. The first Unit ID of the Pixie2/4/8 will have 2/4/8 pixels which control the strings. A Pixie16 will use the first eight pixels of the first and second Unit IDs, so it will look like two CMB16D or CMB24D controllers. This feature exists because it is becoming impossible to purchase dumb RGB ribbons/pixels. This allows a Pixie to be a plug-in replacement in your sequences for CMB controllers."

Question is if I get the 10 watt floods here: https://store.lightorama.com/collections/rgb-pixels-bulbs-ribbons-and-floods/products/flood10watt will it work with the Pixie controller?

What I am trying to do is use the first 8 ports with RBG strings (using the CMB emulation) and the other 8 ports with floods.  If you look a the typical layout from the sequence store it would be like combing Unit 07 (RGB lights) and unit 08 (RGB floods) to one pixie 16.

TypicalLayout-C68P32-All.jpg

NO! 10W floods. They are dumb and need connections for each R<G<B

What it means is it allows a Smart device to behave like a Dumb one.

If you have the 10W floods, you need a CMB24  (it wood be cool if someone made a Smart to dumb converter box to drive a 10W flood (a common 12V1A wall wort like used with security cameras will run the flood @ 100%)  A surplus 12V computer Monitor (typical of ones that use bricks/DC adapters)  brick will run 3-5 of them

@JoeBeezy1 Impossible?

I see listings every day for bullets. Are they just always out of stock?

Amazon still has a few DUMB ribbons (look for the whole roll shown as a single color)

Appreciate the feedback as I figured I was overlooking something. 

I am guessing then i can use a pixie 8 for the RGB until (using smart strings in emulation) and then getting a CMB24D for the floods.  Attempting to use a pixie as I believe it has more options later down the road when I get more experience.  For now following a typical layout as posted above as an intro. 

Do you have a Gen3 AC controller (that has an On/Off dimming curve setting per port)?

You can do simple (single color) for now. Plug a 12V DC adapter into a NON-DIMABLE port, and wire +12 to the + input of the flood and - to the color pin(s) of choice (I made a simple pre-deployment,  test fixture with 3 switches to check ever dumb string in the shop)  You can combine colors, just  no shades.

1 hour ago, Mr. P said:

Or look for smart floods as there are many vendors who sell them as well.

I assumed he had these already. Another advantage of the CMB is it only uses 1 ID (not that it matters to him: Pro)