Light-O-Rama Forums

Probably No Display for us 2022

Orville

Had to send in my N4-G4 Director and CCCII controller for repairs, unfortunately, due to circumstances {beyond LOR Control} I may not have them back in time for a display this year, this is the time of year, August, that I test and start verifying my sequences.  Can't use the computer because #1, not enough USB ports, and#2, not enough adapters for each network needed presently.   And I would prefer NOT to use the computer due to where it has to be located, I have cats and young kittens, and they have a very annoying tendency to pull out USB cables from the computer.    Usually the ones going to the LOR Adapters going to the controllers, shutting things down.

And is why I prefer the Director to run my shows.  The CCCII runs the RGB Floods that are a part of the show and is the only controller I have for doing so presently.

So, without the Director and the CCCII, I will be, in all probability, not doing any type of Christmas Display this year.  Had thought about a small Halloween show, but that's definitely out too without the Director.

I need the computer for other things, so running a show from it presently isn't viable at all.   Had bought a 2nd computer for doing so, but it went out and no longer works, so much for that idea.

So without the N4-G4 Director, I have decided I'll just need to cancel my show for 2022.   Hopefully will be back in 2023.

Again, this is NOT LOR's fault, nor is it mine, but circumstances have really messed up things.  As my next possible update on repairs won't come 'til around August 29, 2022 whether they are still waiting on repairs, or in process of being repaired.   They were sent in on June 23, 2022, but like stated circumstances BEYOND LOR's control has hampered what they can accomplish.   I will just say it this way, their main person in this area is out ill, along with many of their staff that cover this area.

So, it's not LOR's fault, it's not mine, but with what is happening, I feel it may be in my best interest to cancel my display for 2022.  Yes, disappointing, but I fully understand the issues at hand.

If the Help Desk wants to inform the folks what's happening in the Public LOR Forums, I'll leave that up to them, as what info they sent me via e-mail, I leave up to them to disclose, if they so desire to do so.

All I'll say is, please pray for the LOR Team, I really believe they could use all your prayers at this time.

1 hour ago, Brian Mitchell said:

If I had an extra director, I would send it your way. Anyone else?  

Same here but I only used a director in my first year which was 2012. I long sold it. I'm sure somebody will step in and help out.

15 hours ago, TheDucks said:

A Powered USB hub takes care of the USB Ports issue, I have a 4 port on my Laptop just for LOR

See photo of Laptop and Cat problem

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1A6EjZ7p3XHeFHo_0uEBQ_PwTuDiYrkW-/view?usp=sharing

I have one, but only 4 of the ports are powered via an adapter, the other 3 are powered through the USB link from an existing USB port it is plugged into.  The one I have is an older model, 7 USB ports that I bought many, many years ago when computers only had 1 or 2 USB ports.   Don't know how well a USB port hub would work plugged into another USB port hub.  But I'm limited on outlets, especially when their power adapters tend to cover up 2 outlet connections.

Does anyone know how well daisy-chaining USB hubs would work, or if that can be done successfully?   I've never tried connecting them one to another like that, so not sure how reliable that would work really be, especially for something like adding in extra LOR adapters, but even so, the computer has to be used for other things and can't be set up specifically to run a show, not since my wife and I both use it, and it's set up for dual accounts.  So if the system would get rebooted, the Show wouldn't run until I logged back into the system to restart/reload the LOR software to restart the show.   Would defeat the purpose of using the computer for reliability for keeping shows running.  That along with the 4 young kittens that just love to unplug my USB cables, as well as sleeping on my keyboard, the little buggers. LOL

16 hours ago, ebrown1972 said:

Same here but I only used a director in my first year which was 2012. I long sold it. I'm sure somebody will step in and help out.

Thanks, but it would have to be a newer N4-G4 Director with the real time clock to work.  And as much as I'd appreciate that, I'd rather just wait for mine to come back from LOR repairs Repair Center.

Working on trying to save up some $$ to buy a 2nd Director and possibly a Pixie16D unassembled controller board.  But that's still a little ways off at the moment.  But even if I had the funds, the delays with the supply chains would still make this too late for me to have them in enough time to get a show operational.

May just put a simple static light display this year, just buy a few cheap standard LED lights and just plug them in for this year.   I'm still debating on the static lights.

Daisy chain of high data thru put is NOT a good plan. USB has percentage per port  settings. IMHO Only plug hubs direct.

If you use a Mouse/or keyboard. Plug those into the powered hub or spread the traffic Load.

Only the ELL needs power and that needs the special USB dongle if done that way. Most of the LOR adapters need very little power. Powered hub is just a safer way and allows for other devices.

Switching Users would be an issue :/

12 hours ago, TheDucks said:

Daisy chain of high data thru put is NOT a good plan. USB has percentage per port  settings. IMHO Only plug hubs direct.

If you use a Mouse/or keyboard. Plug those into the powered hub or spread the traffic Load.

Only the ELL needs power and that needs the special USB dongle if done that way. Most of the LOR adapters need very little power. Powered hub is just a safer way and allows for other devices.

Switching Users would be an issue :/

That's kind of what I had surmised about the USB Hubs, but wasn't certain on doing it, as in, probably wouldn't function properly.  Don't have any ELL's, never got any of those, had thought about it when I only had, and was using CTB16PC Residential Controllers.  Read they didn't work out very well, if at all for RGB Controllers, which is mainly what my display consists of now, along with the N4-G4 Director.

Currently, the present Hub I have, the powered ports do have the keyboard, mouse, red LOR Adapter and my older USB RS485B black adapter plugged into the powered ports.  I think I have one USB port open on the computer, but sometimes it seems a bit flaky, it decides when it wants to function or not.

My wife has a laptop I bought her, but gad, I hate the fact it has Windows 10 on it, since you can't disable things on it that I can on my Win7 Desktop, so not sure how well that laptop would work for running my shows on a temporary basis.  Haven't even bothered to install the LOR Software on her laptop.  Might be doable, might not.  Just wish Windows 10 would have been more user-friendly in being able to adjust settings and options as I WANT THEM, not what Win 10 wants them to be. :(

On 8/11/2022 at 2:27 PM, Orville said:

I may not have them back in time for a display this year,

Not with that attitude! 😉

S4 has a preview feature that will show you what your show will look like, and you could test controllers and lights with a single USB controller, even if you had to plug in one cat5 cable at a time.  I have ran a decent sized show off an old computer with a single USB port and a powered hub using multiple USB adapters.  In my case it worked better than the N4-G4 I had prior.   Not familiar with the "CCCII", but don't think you should discard using a USB hub quickly.  That might buy you some time until the N4-G4 is repaired and sent back. 

Looks like the N4-G4 is in stock?  Can't you sell some blood, or sign up for some experimental procedures to pick another one up?  If your show depends on the N4, it would not be a terrible idea to have a spare.

On 8/11/2022 at 2:27 PM, Orville said:

I would prefer NOT to use the computer due to where it has to be located, I have cats and young kittens, and they have a very annoying tendency to pull out USB cables from the computer. 

A couple of conabear traps, or an electric fence around the computer would take care of the cats messing with your USB cords... just don't let the wife and kids catch you! 😉

13 hours ago, jond said:

Not with that attitude! 😉

S4 has a preview feature that will show you what your show will look like, and you could test controllers and lights with a single USB controller, even if you had to plug in one cat5 cable at a time.  I have ran a decent sized show off an old computer with a single USB port and a powered hub using multiple USB adapters.  In my case it worked better than the N4-G4 I had prior.   Not familiar with the "CCCII", but don't think you should discard using a USB hub quickly.  That might buy you some time until the N4-G4 is repaired and sent back. 

Looks like the N4-G4 is in stock?  Can't you sell some blood, or sign up for some experimental procedures to pick another one up?  If your show depends on the N4, it would not be a terrible idea to have a spare.

A couple of conabear traps, or an electric fence around the computer would take care of the cats messing with your USB cords... just don't let the wife and kids catch you! 😉

Sorry, but there is "NO ATTITUDE" towards LOR or anyone else here.

Why is it people have to be so judgmental on another person because they tell it like it is{for them}, and why, but some just can't seem to comprehend that?   And no, this is NOT an attitude, it is a valid question.

I know all about the S4 features, been using it for years now to design my shows for the Director.  However, my display is semi-permanent in that most of the RGB Controllers are powered OUTSIDE all year and used for exterior "safety lighting" to illuminate my 66-foot-long handicap ramp all year outside of showtime, and outside of show time in the early morning{5am-6am}.  I only add a few additional RGB items and Controllers to this to set up my shows easier and quicker each year.

I am currently using the computer for my evening handicap ramp lighting, but it has proven to be UNRELIABLE in keeping them on, {and not usually due to my cats either}, if we have a Florida thunderstorm and in our area, power tends to glitch off {I have a whole house Surge Protector installed in my Meter by the power company}, and when it does, it usually always hangs the computer and shuts down the lights.  Even if the system reboots, one has to LOG back in again BEFORE the lights{show} starts back up.

If I am NOT home at the time, like at church in the evening, it's very difficult for me to get up the ramp without the lights on, this side of my home is DARK, very dark, and is why it's the only side I have a show on.  Outside Porch light is also on, but it CAN NOT illuminate the entire area of the ramp.

And, for the record, I already do Medical Research studies, in one currently that lasts 3 years, but the way it works, it takes a lot of time to work up enough money to purchase additional equipment.   It is how I do buy additional items, which I am planning on getting another N4-G4, just can not do it at this time.  But I am saving up for a 2nd one currently.   And sorry, but I can't give blood due to my medical disabilities and health issues.  They won't allow me to do so.   And while in these Medical Research studies I am in, that is also something they do not allow while you are a participant in an "active" study.  I still have another 2 years and a few months left in the current research study I am in.

As for setting up anything that would harm any animal{especially my felines}, that definitely WILL NOT happen, I don't believe in harming an animal in any way, I turn people in for animal abuse and cruelty to animals.

I do what I can, but being disabled {legally blind and dyslexia, very bad hearing - 80% loss in right ear, 65% loss in the left, High Blood Pressure, Fibromyalgia, Reaunards Disease {mostly in hands}, bad shoulders and knees {walk with a cane or in a wheelchair depending}, heart issues{mitrovalve proplapse} and now crippling arthritis in both my hands {can't even close my hands to make a fist}, neck injury, and almost daily migraines, not to even add in the COPD and Asthma I have to all that, as well as my doctor has told me to stay off ladders, so everything I do now must be at ground level}.  It is sometimes very difficult for me to even get a show up.  Especially on days that I'm lucky if I can even get out of bed to do much of anything with my disabilities.  

My neighbors are very surprised I even have, or get, a musical show off the ground.   I know a lot of folks that have lesser disabilities than I do, and they'd never even attempt doing this, but I plug on away and manage it.  I try very hard NOT to let my disabilities control my life or what I do, but some days they win.  It's also why a Director IS the best method, and option for me.   At least with a power glitch, the Director HAS ALWAYS restarted the show, I have NEVER came home to a dark, unlit ramp or a non-working display.  But the computer, HAS NOT proven to be reliable for me, so no matter what folks want to say or think, the computer isn't really an option, not when I have to try and run cables from it to the outside world, and other factors involved with using the computer that have let me down too many times to count.

34 minutes ago, Orville said:

Sorry, but there is "NO ATTITUDE" towards LOR or anyone else here.

Was totally joking around and meant no disrespect.  I am terribly sorry if I offended you and I greatly apologize.  "Not with that attitude" is what I tell my kids when they run into it issues.  It is meant to get them to think out of the box and get creative.  Was not trying to imply you had an attitude with anybody.

@Orville  Most LOR controllers have a standalone mode. What I KNOW. Apply power (time clock/inductive rated photo cell) and it runs. (FWIW I added a photo cell to a time clock. The clock controls Possible hours that the light are on. The photo cell limits those to Dark (follows daylight shift)

LOR Staff: Is there a guide on what you CAN do in this mode? PLEASE 😘

I know how to load  using HU, but hit size limits that don't match what HU says for that device

I Know, that the network must be REGULAR, but LOR ID's are not limited.

I KNOW that other (ID) controllers (wired together) can be a client

I GUESS that network speed is auto negotiated when chained in SA mode.

What effects are supported (by controller type)?

Should this be a Zoom Room topic?

1 hour ago, TheDucks said:

Most LOR controllers have a standalone mode.

Animation only, and substantially limited in number of commands.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jond said:

Was totally joking around and meant no disrespect.  I am terribly sorry if I offended you and I greatly apologize.  "Not with that attitude" is what I tell my kids when they run into it issues.  It is meant to get them to think out of the box and get creative.  Was not trying to imply you had an attitude with anybody.

Thank you for clearing that up.  Unfortunately, when reading the written word, it's not always taken as the poster may have offered it.

Believe me, I've been caught up in that trap more times than I can count now. LOL

And I wasn't offended, just trying to think, how, what or where did I type something in this thread that was showing an attitude issue?   So that's more, or less, why I responded with that first statement.  But after your reply explaining what it meant, I understand that.

And I just thought it may have been a good idea to state the physical and medical issues I have and why I myself, prefer using a Director over the computer.

What I need to find is an older laptop with Windows 7 on it, but would still need to save up for that, if I could find one.  Them maybe I could put it inside something to keep it out of the weather and outside, it'd be a pain to access for changes to the show.  I'd have to find some way to secure and keep it from getting heisted.   Just far too much work, methinks. LOL

But definitely getting a 2nd backup Director as soon as I have the fund$ for one, no doubt about that. :)  Just going to take a bit of time.  Will possibly have the fund$, but not until mid-December of this year at the earliest. and that also depends on the significant others approval of using part of her research fund$ in doing so {we're both in the same medical research program}.  We both do medical research, it's how we get a few extra things for my display or other things she or I may need or want.

Just for those interested in what this medical research is, we are doing a study on a vaccine that, believe it or not, that will keep a person from getting the common cold, we've been in it almost a year, in December it will be 1 year, my wife and I are about 2 weeks apart from when we started it.    So far, neither of us have had any bad reactions to the vaccine, nor have we had a cold either.  SO it seems to be working.   The research we're doing is the final testing stage before the vaccine would be released to the public, which, unfortunately is about another 2-3 years of the company going through all the test study subjects paperwork before the public would even see the vaccine. 

And this vaccine is supposed to last 3 years, so not a yearly shot, just once every 3 years of my reading the paperwork of what's involved in the research study being done.   So, looks like we may be rid of the common cold after all these many years of suffering with it and sometimes several times a year.

Just know before I entered this study, I would sometimes get a cold several times a year, as would my wife, and neither my wife nor I have suffered with a common cold since we've been a participant in the research study.

8 hours ago, TheDucks said:

@Orville  Most LOR controllers have a standalone mode. What I KNOW. Apply power (time clock/inductive rated photo cell) and it runs. (FWIW I added a photo cell to a time clock. The clock controls Possible hours that the light are on. The photo cell limits those to Dark (follows daylight shift)

LOR Staff: Is there a guide on what you CAN do in this mode? PLEASE 😘

I know how to load  using HU, but hit size limits that don't match what HU says for that device

I Know, that the network must be REGULAR, but LOR ID's are not limited.

I KNOW that other (ID) controllers (wired together) can be a client

I GUESS that network speed is auto negotiated when chained in SA mode.

What effects are supported (by controller type)?

Should this be a Zoom Room topic?

I don't think the CCB100D controllers have such an option, original 5V RGB Controllers using 5Vbullet pixels and C9 bulbs.   I'm not sure, but I don't think the CCCII {actually a Pixie2D} 12V RGB Controller has that option either.  Only animation is possible, no music even if they are or were capable, and even more limited than a Director unit.

I think I tried to see if something like that were possible, but think the small test animation file I created for the test would not load or work in them.  So I'm not going to say for certain they can't, but I was never able to get them to accept a stand-alone sequence.   And if they can possibly do it, not sure one would be able to control the others.  As I've never got a stand-alone sequence to download into one or work, I have no idea if only one having the sequence with all controllers in it could have all others do it.

I always thought a stand-alone sequence would be specific to the single controller it was in.  But again, I don't really know, since none of mine would take a stand-alone sequence for me to even test that out.

EDIT/ADDED:  Is there a test or a way to find out if a Controller is capable of this?  Besides just going into the HU and attempting to load in a sequence, and it fails to do so?

Edited by Orville

9 minutes ago, Orville said:

EDIT/ADDED:  Is there a test or a way to find out if a Controller is capable of this?  Besides just going into the HU and attempting to load in a sequence, and it fails to do so?

Read the manual for the controller in question.

44 minutes ago, Orville said:

I don't think the CCB100D controllers have such an option, original 5V RGB Controllers using 5Vbullet pixels and C9 bulbs.   I'm not sure, but I don't think the CCCII {actually a Pixie2D} 12V RGB Controller has that option either.  Only animation is possible, no music even if they are or were capable, and even more limited than a Director unit.

I think I tried to see if something like that were possible, but think the small test animation file I created for the test would not load or work in them.  So I'm not going to say for certain they can't, but I was never able to get them to accept a stand-alone sequence.   And if they can possibly do it, not sure one would be able to control the others.  As I've never got a stand-alone sequence to download into one or work, I have no idea if only one having the sequence with all controllers in it could have all others do it.

I always thought a stand-alone sequence would be specific to the single controller it was in.  But again, I don't really know, since none of mine would take a stand-alone sequence for me to even test that out.

I was suggest SA mode as a off season fall back.  The Pixies all share a common Manual, so yes it will support. A very simple (short) sequence and you can slave the older CCB to it.

Pixie is IS 04, CCB is 02. 02 will get its instructions from 04. Remember SIMPLE and slow. Remember what I said about No network Speed setting. Us the fastest processor (newest) as the Host

6 hours ago, TheDucks said:

I was suggest SA mode as a off season fall back.  The Pixies all share a common Manual, so yes it will support. A very simple (short) sequence and you can slave the older CCB to it.

Pixie is IS 04, CCB is 02. 02 will get its instructions from 04. Remember SIMPLE and slow. Remember what I said about No network Speed setting. Us the fastest processor (newest) as the Host

Read the manual per Jim, but didn't quite get the info out of it to help me understand how or limitations and still not sure it can even do it.

However I tried to install a standalone sequence and get an error message/pop up box. {See Attached screenshot}

Shows me Max Unit Load = -1, which seems to imply to me, it can't do it, or it can't handle a simple animation for both ports, total 100 lights, 50 per port.  I only have CCB100D 5V RGB Controllers currently in use for my ramp lights.   I even tried cutting every controller out but Controller #01, top numbers change, but I still get that Max Unit Load = -1.   So I'm completely lost on whether they are supposed to be able to do this or they can't.  That -1 number leads me to believe this would be a no, they can't do stand alone.   The sequence is for 5 CCB100D Controllers, like stated, tried decreasing the sequenc to only Unit ID #01, but still bombed with the Max Unit Load = -1.    So, with that, I'm completely lost, as I'm not really sure what that Max Unit Load even means.  I'm guessing the top number would be the size of the sequence in the actual file size.   The blow is when I had all 5 controllers in the sequence and all lights steady on, which is what is required for my ramp lights.

Tried for quite a few hours to make it work, but couldn't get it to download into the controller at all, just kept popping this pop up box/error up that you see the info in from my screen capture.  And the scren capture is the full context of what it shows in the box.

Any other suggestions?

LOR4_4_16-PRO-SA Error.JPG

That is why I asked for more  or a Zoom room topic.  Way to little info to even troubleshoot.

BTW that message is a bit different than I have had. This years attempt, HU said a number (using a Pixie4) available, but the download choked around 9K.

4 hours ago, TheDucks said:

That is why I asked for more  or a Zoom room topic.  Way to little info to even troubleshoot.

BTW that message is a bit different than I have had. This years attempt, HU said a number (using a Pixie4) available, but the download choked around 9K.

Zoom would do me no good anyway, no camera or microphone on this computer, none of the computers in my house have a camera or microphone on or in them.

That's why I don't take part in those things.

Ah well, I'll just leave things as they are for the time being.

The computer is running my ramp lights for now, but that's the only show it will be running, due to the issues of multiple users and even slight power hiccups shutting the lights off and require a person to log in and restart the show.   It never restarts anything on its own without human intervention.

Thought if that StandAlone option had worked, I'd have just plugged the controller with the StandAlone sequence in the old CdS Cell controlled Time Clock 6 outlet box I bought many years ago to control the time lights would be on for evening and early morning hours.