Light-O-Rama Forums

New To Pixie 4 controller

Don In Kenner-LA

Hello all I have been doing light O Rama since 2009. This year I purchased the pixie4 to switch to CCR 2 ribbons for my arches, I have the advanced software SuperStar feature 16_CCR Seats 10. My question do I need to upgrade to the pro version to run the pixe4. Also can this controller be connected with my other 4 LOR 16 channel boxes. Thanks for your help I am a little nervous making the jump to RGB.

4 dumb (AC) and a Pixie4 is 8 ID's. IMHO unless you max out the Pixie4 you can get away without Enhanced mode (You need Pro for that)

OTOH be sure to get a high speed USB dongle (and mark it, it is no longer Red) for the Pixie  (besides 2009 era controllers can not run above 128K)

3 hours ago, TheDucks said:

4 dumb (AC) and a Pixie4 is 8 ID's. IMHO unless you max out the Pixie4 you can get away without Enhanced mode (You need Pro for that)

OTOH be sure to get a high speed USB dongle (and mark it, it is no longer Red) for the Pixie  (besides 2009 era controllers can not run above 128K)

Highest speed available for Regular AC Controllers {G1 V2 boards} is 115.4K, next speed in the NP software is 500K, then 1,000K for the enhanced RGB stuff depending on Controller.

This is what I run my older CTB16PC Controllers at.  No 128K option available.  I know the G3 CTB16PC AC Controllers can use the 500K option, but not sure if they can use the enhanced option.

1 hour ago, Orville said:

Highest speed available for Regular AC Controllers {G1 V2 boards} is 115.4K, next speed in the NP software is 500K, then 1,000K for the enhanced RGB stuff depending on Controller.

This is what I run my older CTB16PC Controllers at.  No 128K option available.  I know the G3 CTB16PC AC Controllers can use the 500K option, but not sure if they can use the enhanced option.

Yes, the CTB16PCG3 can be used on an ELOR network.

2 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Yes, the CTB16PCG3 can be used on an ELOR network.

Thanks Mr. P. 

I wasn't sure, good to know for when I might be able to finally upgrade my older CTB16PC units to a newer G3 model, might be G4 by the time I do it though. LOL

@Orville  All you need to do is put older devices (and inputpup) on a separate,  regular (non-ELOR) network.

No need to replace working hardware that is doing the job you need. (Another USB adapter is way less $ than a controller)

1 hour ago, TheDucks said:

No need to replace working hardware that is doing the job you need. (Another USB adapter is way less $ than a controller)

But another controller is more fun and means way more lights.  😁

59 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

But another controller is more fun and means way more lights.  😁

Oh! I thought you were REPLACING one.

Absolutely! More is better 💡

1 hour ago, TheDucks said:

Oh! I thought you were REPLACING one.

Absolutely! More is better 💡

Actually, probably would be replacing a couple that have issues with one new one.   Only really need 1 CTB16PC, have 3, one has bad cat5 jacks, working on seeing if I can just resolder and hope that corrects it.  Another one has bad tracings to a Triac on channel 5.  I still have one good G1 V2 CTB16PC still in use, but its been in constant service for a very long time, so it could start developing issues at some point.   SO if I do have to replace it, I'll just be going down to one CTB16PC controller, may as well be a G3, since most everything in my display, save for a few Blow Molds is RGB now and G3 Controllers.  Only my CTB16PC Controllers are now "ancient". LOL

Also looking at some of the new CPC RGB items that LOR has come up with as well.  Mainly the Candy Canes or Snowflakes.  Going to try and save up for either one or both of these.  Not sure I like the CPC Arches  Think I'd prefer a few more lines of RGB pixels on those.  Single line of RGB pixels just doesn't seem to be enough WOW factor for an arch, at least not for me.   Think I'd prefer 4 Arches with 5 lines of RGB Pixels as opposed to 8 single line Arches.   But that's just me. 😉