Light-O-Rama Forums

Purchase suggestion

Doug Smith

I have 2 16ch AC controllers (CTB16PC) & LOR software that I purchased in 2010-11 that I have used a little bit.  Now I would like to get into home decorating for Christmas a little more since I am about to retire.  I would like to include these 2 controllers, add a Pixel Tree Kit and have the ability to run the display without an external PC.  I would also like the software to program my own sequences as well as a basic set of Christmas sequences to at least drive the Pixel Tree kit (and the AC controllers if possible).  What would you suggest I purchase to make this happen?  Would like to take advantage of the summer sale.

Thanks.

Edited by Doug Smith
grammar correct

The very first thing I would highly recommend is upgrading your software to a Pro version since you want to get into pixels.

If you want to run the show with a Director then get the N4-G4-MP3 but keep in mind that all Directors are limited. I prefer a PC as my show is way to large for a Director.

As for the Pixel trees, it looks like LOR only has the half size trees in the sale. If you have any mechanical experience I would suggest building your own and save half the price.

Just my recommendations.

What Mr P said  +👍 on using a PC

FWIW get a refurb 'off lease' PC , A very nice business class can be had for $300. Just make sure you have lots of USB2 ports (LOR dongles are only USB2, so save $ looking for lots of USB3 ports).  Many businness class come with The Pro version of windows, so you can run the free client of Remote desktop connection on almost any platform  to manage it one it is running the show.  Most modern HDTV can be used as a temporary monitor  to get things ready

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Doug Smith said:

I have 2 16ch AC controllers (CTB16PC) & LOR software that I purchased in 2010-11 that I have used a little bit.  Now I would like to get into home decorating for Christmas a little more since I am about to retire.  I would like to include these 2 controllers, add a Pixel Tree Kit and have the ability to run the display without an external PC.  I would also like the software to program my own sequences as well as a basic set of Christmas sequences to at least drive the Pixel Tree kit (and the AC controllers if possible).  What would you suggest I purchase to make this happen?  Would like to take advantage of the summer sale.

Thanks.

If you don't want to use a PC, the N4-G4 MP3 Director would be your best alternative, as it has 4 network ports and can run RGB devices easily.

I would also highly suggest upgrading your license to PRO, as that will open up a whole lot more options for your use, especially when it comes to RGB/Pixels.

Doing that, and you should be good to add whatever RGB or Pixel based lighting and controllers you want, as well as use your existing CTB16PC ~AC~ Controllers with what you currently have.

Edited by Orville
missed the "r' in network. LOL Typing to fast for my keyboard...

18 hours ago, TheDucks said:

FWIW get a refurb 'off lease' PC

Other advantages of using a PC instead of a director:

1. As well as what the TheDucks said about Remote Desktop Connection, you have the new remote app from S6, and transferring files using DropBox or similar;
  2. The ability to run a Windows Command with each sequence, which I use to change the RDS on my FM transmitter;
  3. Built-in network interface, for E1.31;
  4. Other USB accessories, such as a USB power strip, which I use to power my FM transmitter, as well as the outdoor security lights
  5. Interactive control, and easy scheduling, with S6.

I didn't know I even had the option to not use my laptop.  I was told. Director would not run my show.  But maybe they have a new one that can.  Idk. I just use my laptop because I can control my show from anywhere. Whether I'm home or not. I control the power through Google and the pc over my phone. 

31 minutes ago, rtrip9 said:

I didn't know I even had the option to not use my laptop.  I was told. Director would not run my show. 

Why would you not be able to run a Director?  Mind you that you could not pay me to switch to using a Director, so I'm not trying to promote them...

If you're running E1.31 as far as I know, that rules out using a Director (and I do year round).

34 minutes ago, rtrip9 said:

I just use my laptop because I can control my show from anywhere. Whether I'm home or not. I control the power through Google and the pc over my phone. 

Same here except normally I use TeamViewer for remote control.  I can't tell you how many times I have created or modified a show or sequence remotely.  Very handy to be able to do.  That and being able to tell what the show is doing remotely.  I get a E-Mail every night when the evening show starts, when the overnight show starts, and when the overnight show ends.  Same concept for the Christmas show.  For example, this just showed up a couple minutes ago:

Sat 08/06/22 19:52:51 Evening show is starting on JUPITER.

I'll definitely agree using a computer does have more options, advantages, and flexibility over using a Director to run a show or shows.

The ONLY real advantage for using a Director is if you aren't using some of the criteria mentioned by others, and only if you are using standard ~AC~ Controllers or RGB Controllers that don't require E1.31 or any other special circumstances.   Mainly, a Director is for someone that doesn't want to run cables through a wall or window from a computer inside a house to the outside, and their show isn't very complex.

I prefer to use a Director, so I don't have to run cables outside from the inside of my house.  I also use it because my show is only using older CTB16PC ~AC~ Controllers, 5V RGB CCB100D 5V controllers {8} and 3 CCCII 12V RGB Controllers {2 of these are the LOR Singing Christmas Tress, Ralphie and Zuzu, the 3rd one controls my 6 - 10W RGB HC Floodlights}.  I don't use E1.31 or any other internet or remote linked options, so the N4-G4 Director works perfectly for me.

Perhaps one day we may see such a Director that can do this, but not yet.

Basically, it's just a matter of what YOU want to do and how YOU want to accomplish it.

I also only use a director (upgrading to N4-G4 this year from an N2-G4), and I think I have a moderate level show (20,000+ LED/Pixels) with the whole range of Pixie's, a Pixcon, 12 AC's, CMB24D's, ELLs, mostly LOR with some DMX (via iDMX1000s).  Nothing against those that do, but mostly my reason simply comes down to is I don't trust Windows to run my show.  Standalone via a Director is perfectly fine by me; solid and reliable.

3 hours ago, hasslerk said:

I also only use a director (upgrading to N4-G4 this year from an N2-G4), and I think I have a moderate level show (20,000+ LED/Pixels) with the whole range of Pixie's, a Pixcon, 12 AC's, CMB24D's, ELLs, mostly LOR with some DMX (via iDMX1000s).  Nothing against those that do, but mostly my reason simply comes down to is I don't trust Windows to run my show.  Standalone via a Director is perfectly fine by me; solid and reliable.

That's one area I can give a definite thumbs up.  When I ran from Windows, if something happened, like a power glitch that somehow shut the computer off, when it shouldn't have, and I ran my show from a computer, sometimes I would come home to a dark, NON-operating display.   With the N4-G4 {currently in for repair, has been since end of June, along with a CCCII Controller}, but I can say the Director was 100% reliable on KEEPING MY SHOWS RUNNING!  Even if a power glitch, or short power outage for a few minutes, I never came home to a NON-operational show using the Director, but did numerous times using the computer that I had to physically start back up again, even though I had it set to auto boot back on after any power interruption, sometimes that did not work.

Be glad when I finally get my Director and CCCII controller back, so I can get my yard floods back on.  Awfully dark in my yard without them.

Edited by Orville
  • Like 1