Light-O-Rama Forums

help understanding set up on Pixie Ribbons

marty h

Hello and Thanks in advance.  I have been using Lor for several years.  I already have a 16'  Ribbon Tree that works fantastic.  So now my question.  I currently have my house outlined with regular mini lights.  Im considering changing to the RGB ribbons or pixies to be able to add effects.  I know on my ribbon tree the controller is right at the base of it.  What I dont understand is what the setup would look like if I wanted to outline my house and windows , ect.  Where are the controllers located?  If one controller can control 16 ribbons who do you make tha connection from different poins of you display?

Im probably not being clear on what I am asking.  I just want a little guidance on what a setup would look like and involve.

Thanks again for any comments or suggestion. 

Marty

TIP: A Pixie16 is good for props with high pixel counts such as trees or a matrix where everything is condensed and really close together. When you start doing larger areas with longer distances Such as roofs, windows or outlines then you would be better off with several Pixie2 or Pixie4 spaced out to cover larger areas.

Edited by Mr. P

What Mr P said.  This is a case where Bigger is not always better.

Distance = Voltage drop

If you are running 5V, it gets worse.

Lots of nodes = even more voltage drop (on a string, this cause color shift the further out you go)

On top of all that. Gen1 pixies could not drive over 25' to first node (My experience was closer to 20')

OK LOR only offers Pixie16 and Pixie2 in a Ready to go package. They do have everything available, but it is a DIY assy, not even a kit.