Light-O-Rama Forums

How to Anchor Toy Soldier Blow Molds

Dr_Aplet

I have acquired 7 32" soldier blow molds.  I would like to use them in my show and i want to know how others anchor them.  i would prefer to not screw into the plastic or fill the bottom with rocks.  i was thinking about a large hose clamp and a piece of electrical conduit in the ground.

I probably have the same ones you do. I've used 2 short pieces of conduit and zip strips and I've used 3' metal fence holders ($4 at home Depot) and zip strips. Both work. I think I prefer the fence post better as it has fins to hold in the ground and anchors for the zip strips. We've had 60 mile an hour winds during the season, so we've been anchoring everything well the last few years. You can use rebar, but I only use it when absolutely necessary for safety reasons.

Nice score by the way. Blow molds have been hard to come by last couple years.

I probably should have bought the 17 candy canes too.  but i passed on them because they were pretty sun faded.

On 7/31/2022 at 10:16 AM, Dr_Aplet said:

I probably should have bought the 17 candy canes too.  but i passed on them because they were pretty sun faded.

If they were badly faded, which I'm guessing the red areas were the badly faded areas, you could have used some type of painters tape on them over the "clear" part, wrapping the tape just around and to the edges of each red area, then used a red stained-glass paint and painted over the red faded sections.  Yes, it would have taken some time and the stained-glass paints are usually a bit costly, but it could have put those faded canes back into service.  You'd have to use white stained-glass paint on the white painted sections  {if these areas were not clear} after you got the red striping painted and dried.

Stained-glass paint would allow the light to shine through nicely.  Like stated, it would have taken a bit of time to get them back into shape, but could have been done.   You should've picked them up, could have been a nice addition, or for a project for another season, if not enough time to get them done for 2022.   I think you missed out on not getting them.

p.s. Or you could have used the clear, translucent red taillight repair tape found in most automotive stores.  Which would probably be much cheaper than the stained-glass red paint.

On 8/3/2022 at 3:21 PM, Orville said:

If they were badly faded, which I'm guessing the red areas were the badly faded areas, you could have used some type of painters tape on them over the "clear" part, wrapping the tape just around and to the edges of each red area, then used a red stained-glass paint and painted over the red faded sections.  Yes, it would have taken some time and the stained-glass paints are usually a bit costly, but it could have put those faded canes back into service.  You'd have to use white stained-glass paint on the white painted sections  {if these areas were not clear} after you got the red striping painted and dried.

Stained-glass paint would allow the light to shine through nicely.  Like stated, it would have taken a bit of time to get them back into shape, but could have been done.   You should've picked them up, could have been a nice addition, or for a project for another season, if not enough time to get them done for 2022.   I think you missed out on not getting them.

p.s. Or you could have used the clear, translucent red taillight repair tape found in most automotive stores.  Which would probably be much cheaper than the stained-glass red paint.

yes i totally agree and for $1 each.  i don't have enough space to keep it though.  i could have restored it and sold it perhaps.  As Mike Wolfe says "the time to buy is when it's if front of you" and i didn't

12 hours ago, Dr_Aplet said:

yes i totally agree and for $1 each.  i don't have enough space to keep it though.  i could have restored it and sold it perhaps.  As Mike Wolfe says "the time to buy is when it's if front of you" and i didn't

Wow, for a $1 each I would have scarfed them up room or no room. LOL

But that's just how I roll at times.   Wish I could find a deal like that near me.  I could use a few more candy canes for my display.  As it is, got to pull the lights out of 2 of the 5 I do have and replaced burned out bulbs, and on one I have to replace the plug end as well.   I left it out to start the repair process, and my 4 ~ 10-week-old kittens got to it and chewed the plug off.  Little buggers.  ROFL

Fortunately, I have plenty of plugs to fix it with.  NOTE to self: Never leave any Christmas decor with an electrical cord anywhere near where a cat or kitten can access it!

40 minutes ago, Orville said:

NOTE to self: Never leave any Christmas decor with an electrical cord anywhere near where a cat or kitten can access it!

But Dad, it looked like a MOUSE TAIL.

Have you tried using E12 LED bulbs instead of the Incan ones?

On 8/6/2022 at 12:24 PM, TheDucks said:

But Dad, it looked like a MOUSE TAIL.

Have you tried using E12 LED bulbs instead of the Incan ones?

LOL.

What's an E12 LED Bulb?  My Candy Canes have a 20-count strand of mini incandescent clear bulbs in them.  Each bulb is 6V, would the E12 LED Bulbs be able to replace these 20-incandescent bulbs, or would I need to do something to the strand {providing they fit the mini sockets} to make them work?

6 hours ago, Orville said:

LOL.

What's an E12 LED Bulb?  My Candy Canes have a 20-count strand of mini incandescent clear bulbs in them.  Each bulb is 6V, would the E12 LED Bulbs be able to replace these 20-incandescent bulbs, or would I need to do something to the strand {providing they fit the mini sockets} to make them work?

Forget it.

I thought your blow molds used a C7 (E12 is the Base number used on a C7) like another member looking for a replacement socket.

You use 120V or I would suggest Warm White LED strips (back to back) powered from a CMB24 to replace the Incan strings.

Never try and dim (or pulse quickly) a Wall to Low voltage LED adapter . If you have a G3 controller, set the dimming profile for the port to On/Off (and mark the outlet.)