Light-O-Rama Forums

S6 ( may have been S5 too) Time selection not carried to Superstar

jwblazek

Maybe a cockpit error or an enhancement request. During sequencing, if I select say 5 seconds on the grid, right click and hit SuperStar effects, SS opens, but the 5 seconds I selected is not carried over to the grid on the SS screen.

Easy to work around, but would be nice if the selected timeframe was copied over to SS

I think this is a cockpit error on your part.  Works fine - and i do almost all of my sequencing in SuperStar.  To make sure we are on the same page, let me go through the steps.  You select a chunk of time on a Motion Effects row in Sequencer - let's say 1:05.50 to 1:25.00 (19.5 seconds).  Then either mouse or keyboard command to Insert SuperStar Effect.  SuperStar opens with the left end of the time bar showing being black until 1:05.50.  In the image below (or the link to it if your browser does not imbed the image), the red arrow shows the black left end of the time bar and the green arrow shows the beginning of the timeline - 1/2 second prior to 1:06.00.  By default, the editing selection will be the first whole second between the yellow arrows and shows that as 1 second long in the teal box.

If that still does not make sense, if you have TeamViewer on your computer, I am happy to do a remote session with you.  Zoom also works.

S6_SuperStar_timing.png

http://www.newburghlights.org/images/S6_SuperStar_timing.png

thanks Jim

I do see that, however I would have expected / hoped that the time selected in SE was the time frame highlighted for insert of a SS affect. It seems the selection in SS is off by  .5 sec and only highlights a 1 sec area, therein in SE, I had selected 5 sec

I think you are missing the concept.  Using my example above, SuperStar opens a 19.5 second segment.  You can edit any part of that 19.5 seconds within SuperStar.  As far back as I can remember (I started using SuperStar in 2012), it has always defaulted to a one second segment of time when you first start SuperStar.  With the advent of S5 and now S6, since the block of time that SuperStar opens may not start at 0:00.00 (as it would have under S3), the default for that one second segment starts at the first full second.  You can within SuperStar select any time for the particular effect within the (in this case) 19.5 second block - just as you always have.

Thanks again Jim

Understand teh concept, would save a few keystrokes/mouse trails if the time selected in SE reflected the time in SS. I am currently using primarily motion effects but to transition between some of them, during unique song ques, I wanted to plug in SS

IS definitely working, but behind in sequencing (again) this year as I fully transition from ages of S3 / S4 to S6

I have a nit:

The proper use of the colon (:) is to separate hours from minutes and minutes from seconds. To separate seconds from decimal fractions of a second, the proper symbol to use is the decimal point (.). In the Sequencer, if you zoom in enough, the numbers at on the time line use the proper notation, e.g. 1:05.50. However, SuperStar uses a colon where it should use a decimal point, e.g. "Selection = 1:00", should be "Selection = 1.00", because it means 1 second, not 1 minute, 00 seconds.

8 minutes ago, jwblazek said:

Understand teh concept, would save a few keystrokes/mouse trails if the time selected in SE reflected the time in SS.

I think you are making the assumption that you are going to make exactly one - and only one - effect within SuperStar for each Insert SuperStar effects - which in my opinion, is a really bad assumption.

9 minutes ago, Steven said:

I have a nit:

The proper use of the colon (:) is to separate hours from minutes and minutes from seconds. To separate seconds from decimal fractions of a second, the proper symbol to use is the decimal point (.). In the Sequencer, if you zoom in enough, the numbers at on the time line use the proper notation, e.g. 1:05.50. However, SuperStar uses a colon where it should use a decimal point, e.g. "Selection = 1:00", should be "Selection = 1.00", because it means 1 second, not 1 minute, 00 seconds.

Good catch.  As I said, I have used SuperStar for a decade and very likely noticed that before, but I had to start SuperStar and look to confirm what you are saying...

Would be a simple solution to add a SS effect transition between various Motion effects. If I was to select the whole row, SS would overwrite the motion effects for that row

Don't see this as a really bad assumption

Wait a second.  Am I to understand that think it would be easy for SuperStar to magicly create a transition between two motion effects (not created in SuperStar).  That would require that SuperStar be able to read and understand Motion effects file data (which it does not), and be able to read your mind to know how you want this effect to magicly be created?

Am I missing something?

No!

What I am saying, on a couple of my props (RGB arches and 4 circles) I use motion effects. And then during the short chorus section, I use Superstar to insert a morph that chases and collides or a smooth effect. I do not expect SS to auto sequence or anything of the sort

Getting back to my original question, When I select a period in SE and go to SS, why do the timing bars/grid stop. I expanded the area I wish to place a SS effect in, it show as a morph in this particular example, but only the few tenths of a second play where the vertical grid lines are. It then stop

2 hours ago, jwblazek said:

Getting back to my original question, When I select a period in SE and go to SS, why do the timing bars/grid stop. I expanded the area I wish to place a SS effect in, it show as a morph in this particular example, but only the few tenths of a second play where the vertical grid lines are. It then stop

If I am understanding what you are asking, let me paraphrase.  You select, for example, a 5 second segment of a sequence, and insert SuperStar Effects, you want to know why you only get a five second segment in SuperStar?  Because you only selected a 5 second segment to send to SuperStar.  When you Insert SuperStar effects for a 5 second segment, that is all that SuperStar knows exists.

By the way, I normally sequence almost every prop in my show as a single Insert SuperStar Effect for the entire song.  In other words, making it behave essentially like SuperStar did in and prior to S4.  The only reason I sequence my P5 and P10 matrix panels as Motion Effects is because there is no SuperStar license large enough - hint Brian, can we get a 32,000 pixel SuperStar license (or maybe larger)?

That is exactly what I want to do, small sections of SS embedded .

Until S5, I used SS solely for props with pixels, typically the entire song at one go before doing the next prop

S5 seemed like it could easily add some additional pizazz

You could overlap the SuperStar effect and the motion effect, then use "Fade Up Across Selection" and "Fade Down Across Selection" to transition from the SuperStar effect to the Motion effect. You would want to set the Motion Effect Row mode to "Blend".

For someone who comes from sequencing everything in SuperStar prior to S5, I would agree that the SuperStar integration is somewhat lacking.  When I first started migrating to S5 (when it was still in Beta), I was doing like you and each few seconds for each prop was a separate Insert SuperStar Effect.  That was massively cumbersome, wasted a huge amount of time, and also ended up with thousands of .avi files and no automated way to delete the un-needed ones.  Mostly two years ago I completed migrating back to every prop for the entire sequence as a single Insert SuperStar Effect.  The only thing I have to remember is to exit SuperStar and AFTER the changes are integrated in Sequencer, do I save the file - with a new name.

20 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

thousands of .avi files and no automated way to delete the un-needed ones

I hear that S6 will eventually have a solution for that.

10 minutes ago, Steven said:

I hear that S6 will eventually have a solution for that.

You're referring to the un-needed .avi files.  Yea, I heard that too.  However as it stands, I generally only have one - so not hard to look at the File references to find the one that I need to keep