Light-O-Rama Forums

Sequencer crashes during launch

yffej151963

Each time I try to launch the S6 Sequencer it fails to start. I have tried launching it both from the control panel button under the sequences tab and also by launching the sequencer app directly from within the lor program folder. In the latter case I get a dialog bug that says LORSequencer has stopped working.

I have double checked that my system is updated to the latest and have installed S6.0.4. I originally installed over an existing S5 installation, but when that failed I did a clean install of S6 which did not help.

The log file LORSequencer-trace.txt seems to show nothing that points to what is going on. I do see an event in the event log with an exception code. Here is the summary from event viewer, let me know if you need any additional info I can provide:

Faulting application name: LORSequencer.exe, version: 6.0.0.4, time stamp: 0x62571213
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.1806, time stamp: 0x1000a5b9
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x00000000000a2240
Faulting process id: 0x1314
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8971da7bb6778
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Light-O-Rama\LORSequencer.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 90e6e3ce-5e5e-49ee-8bb7-84bf8ef65959

You have a system file pulling a fault....

Open "Command Prompt (Admin)   - and run the following command - and allow it to finish...

sfc.exe /scannow

if it still shows as not repaired - then try running this command

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

• Thanks 1

Thanks. I ran both commands. The first one did say it found and fixed a corrupted file and that it was repaired. However, the fault remained so I tried running the second. It completed successfully. The s6 sequencer still fails the same as before.

A reinstalled s5 seems to work flawlessly. It seems the issue is with s6 or something used by s6 that is not needed for s5.

May I suggest that you go to the LOR directory, then to the "Logs" subdirectory and open the LORSequencer-trace.txt file. It will somewhere in there, tell you what's going on. Based on the fact it runs when you start the sequencer in safe mode but not normal mode, most likely you've got an issue with a driver that's not loading properly or some other something.

Thanks for the suggestion I thought the same thing about drivers and have updated all. 

As I mentioned in the original post the trace file doesn't show anything remarkable/ It appears the last action was trying to restore the preview window. I think the exception occurs and kills the process before error info is logged. All of the lines in the trace are labelled as INFO.

While updating drivers I noted that my laptop has two graphics cards. I don't have the room for a desktop.

I guess the OS is supposed to be smart and decide the right one to use but it is possible to force an app to use a specific card.

If I force use of the built in Intel graphics it fails in the same manner.

But if I force it to use the Nvidia GPU the sequencer loads normally.

Strange, I’ve not once ever heard of a laptop with two graphics cards/chips inside. That might be an issue

Yeah, I hadn't heard of it either but I guess it more normal these days.

It is supposed to be a power saving thing. Most things you do with a laptop don't require a GPU. The GPU burns quite a bit of electrons so they power it down if not needed to extend battery life. Windows 10 has a built in app to allow you to control it which is how I solved the crash.

I used to work for a company that multi display is what we did. Mostly it was confined to more specialized environments than a laptop.

My only questions are if the app has some responsibility in Windows to indicate it's requirements, and why is the Intel driver causing a crash?

I'm sort of thinking that S6 is trying to do what it's suppose to do but getting confused on the multiple GPU's. However, saying that to myself makes no sense either as some of us have multiple GPU's in desktop machines. So ideally, it shouldn't matter as the architecture should handle it. 

May I suggest that you take a look at the Window Services event logs immediately after trying to launch the sequencer in normal mode. It might show a fail on whatever process. Be sure to look at it and/or copy it first, so you can possibly compare. Of course, sort by latest date. I'm assuming you've already looked at the firewall and antivirus to see if either has blocked the application from running.

Edited by dgrant

21 hours ago, dgrant said:

Strange, I’ve not once ever heard of a laptop with two graphics cards/chips inside. That might be an issue

My Toshiba (AMD) has 2. 1 for the display and 1 for the HDMI (only?) port. It also has a VGA port (I assume that shares with the display one)

I “think” they use the same gpu chip. Mine has similar with the display plus hdmi output but there’s only one gpu on the motherboard 

On 7/24/2022 at 10:32 AM, yffej151963 said:

I guess the OS is supposed to be smart and decide the right one to use but it is possible to force an app to use a specific card.

If I force use of the built in Intel graphics it fails in the same manner.

But if I force it to use the Nvidia GPU the sequencer loads normally.

Which Intel graphics (or CPU) do you have? The sequencer use OpenGL, so there might be an issue with OpenGL and the driver.