Light-O-Rama Forums

Feature Request - Backup

dgrant

Once all the bugs are resolved, there needs to be a way to backup everything within LOR to a location of our choosing. Probably should include a way to restore everything or individual files and get it back to normal quickly. Sequences, previews, audio, video and all else. 

Edited by dgrant

I take it you mean something other than copying the files in Windows?  Or an automatic backup that many people use.

I’ll have to check to see if it’s in S6, but I have it set in S5 to send a backup of my sequences to a second drive everytime I close out of a sequence. That way my sequences are backed up (I also manually copy them somewhere else from time to time). Everything else like shows  and stuff can be reconfigured fairly easily. I also tend to copy the entire LOR folder in My Documents to a different hard drive so often. 

It appears there are a lot more files that need to be backed up (with) their intended sequences and intended locations. 

Simply backing up the LOR data root  folder will get all the files and subfolders, including the important commondata and import export plus the sequences, audio, etc. The Program files in .....x86 will regenerate with a reinstall.

Write a simple script to copy them anywhere. 

No need to over complicate the software for a simple task. 

By the way. If anyone is not backing up their preview, by backing up the xml file or doing an export from the preview window, then do it now and anytime you make a change.

49 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

Simply backing up the LOR data root  folder will get all the files and subfolders, including the important commondata and import export plus the sequences, audio, etc. The Program files in .....x86 will regenerate with a reinstall.

Write a simple script to copy them anywhere. 

My concern is more for the file integration or let's say, the information within the files, when importing. JSON files, LCC files and all the others just as an example. If restoring "in-mass", that's just fine and should work. But selecting individual sequences to restore, might induce complications with the complexities within the associated files. Yes, we can manually correct things on a case by case basis but I was simply thinking the people that built the software, have a much better handle on things as they already know where everything goes.

2 hours ago, PhilMassey said:

Well said...

Plus the software already has a sequence "Backup" feature every time you hit the Save Icon in the task box..

Edited by Jimehc

On 7/10/2022 at 8:15 PM, Jimehc said:

Plus the software already has a sequence "Backup" feature every time you hit the Save Icon in the task box..

Just so others are aware, in Sequencer preferences on the Save Copy tab, you can specify a folder for a backup copy and to append the time and date to the backup's file name.

https://www1.lightorama.com/downloads/5.6.8/help/save_copy_preferences.htm

Is that supposed to work automatically when saving a sequence? At this instant, it does not save anything to the specified location that I selected, on the same machine.

1 minute ago, Jimehc said:

backs up when saving with icon - but not when exiting & clicking save

That's exactly what I tried with no joy

So it appears I had a "duh" attack of some sort. I forgot to check the box to enable it. Thank You Jimehc for setting me straight. I stand corrected.