Light-O-Rama Forums

Could not run show

k6ccc

I am going to suspect that I screwed something up - without trying.  The end result is dark yard.  I'm hoping someone can come up with a solution.  Let me describe my computer situation a bit and then what all happened.  I have three computers at the house that have LOR installed.   #1 is my file server (Windows Server 2019 Essentials).  It normally runs the landscaping show during the off season.  It was upgraded to each of the S6 beta releases in turn.  The show ran OK Friday night on S6.0.4.  Computer #2 is this Windows 10 Pro desktop that is normally only used for sequencing.  Until today it was S5.6.8.  Computer #3 is the show computer and runs Windows 7 Pro and S5.6.8.  During the off season it is normally powered off.  All three computers use a mapped network drive on the server, so the LOR directory structure is the same actual drive regardless of which computer is accessing it. Today, a lot of changes were made as part of testing.

I backed up most of the LOR directory structure before starting all this.

First off, I upgraded the sequencing computer to S6.0.4.  Ran a sequence while it was controlling only my P5 and P10 panels via E1.31.  Edited that sequence in SuperStar and the changes played fine from Sequencer.  Had an issue with the bottom third of the P5 matrix being ratty and the FPP instance for the P5 showing massive errors on those universes.  That is not what this topic is about.

Next up was to power up the show computer, move the USB cabled for the three LOR network from the server to the show computer, do a couple Windows updates and upgrade LOR to S6.0.4.  The update appeared to go fine, but when I tried to enable my evening show, it was unable to run with these errors in the Player Log for every sequence in the show:

2022-07-09 17:05:24    Player    INFO    Creating new playback file because LOR enhanced networks have changed: L:\Sequences\Year round landscaping\Landscaping evening fast 2021-01-03.loredit
2022-07-09 17:05:27    Player    ERROR    Unable to create playback file for 'L:\Sequences\Year round landscaping\Landscaping evening fast 2021-01-03.loredit'. Unexpected failure creating playback file

Assumed this was something to do with this computer being Windows 7, so simply abandoned that attempt, and moved the LOR networks back to the server, and restarted S6.0.4 on the server.  Got the same errors.  Beat on it for a while and finally uninstalled S6.0.4 on the server and ran the registry wipe utility and reinstalled S6.0.4.  Had to reconfigure my LOR networks, and then restart S6 and got the same errors.

Next up was remembering another person had issues playing a show on S6.0.4 and it worked when he went back to S6.0.2, so I again uninstalled S6.0.4 and installed S6.0.2.  Same result.

Finally out of desperation, I uninstalled S6.0.2 and installed S5.6.8.  I could not get it to start fully.  I got what essentially was an instruction page on the left and right mouse buttons on the LOR Tray light bulb.  The light bulb was red and neither the instruction page, not the light bulb would respond to any mouse click.  I had to kill LOR with the Task Manager.  Rebooted, and had the same result.

Finally I gave up and brought up the LOR Hardware Utility from the server and manually set most of the lights in the yard so there are at least some lights tonight.  I'll worry about it Sunday.

Any ideas?

Did you try deleting the LOR program folder in......x86 after uninstalling.

For me 6.0.4 is playing shows, but won't play from Sequencer, so different issue.

I also wonder if the regwipe utility has changed with S6.

4 hours ago, PhilMassey said:

Did you try deleting the LOR program folder in......x86 after uninstalling.

Actually, the uninstall did that - somewhat surprising as it did not in the past.  I checked every time.

4 hours ago, PhilMassey said:

I also wonder if the regwipe utility has changed with S6.

Certainly a possibility - but as I understand it, that has not changed in years.  The version I have is from 2018.

I am guessing that something with trying to use the Win 7 show computer messed up something in the LOR file system.  I'm guessing that the solution will be to delete something in the file system, complete uninstall, and reinstall.  Let the software rebuild whatever was messed up.

Edited by k6ccc

Solved!

This morning, I uninstalled S5.6.8 and ran the registry wipe, then reinstalled S6.0.4.  Other than having to rebuild my networks as expected, it worked in a simple test.  Next up was to import a more involved show and run it on demand.  The show I ran is a show from 2021 that had every single sequence that was specifically intended to drive the S5 Sequence Compressor.  Ran that show on demand, and as expected, it had to create the playback files first.  Other than taking just over 80 minutes to create the playback files, it worked fine.  Of course the only lights actually in place were the normal year round landscaping lights, and the P5 and P10 matrix panels.  However those worked.  Still having an issue with the bottom of the P5 matrix being ratty, but I will create a new trouble report for that.

I am assuming that something about trying to play S6.0.4 on the Windows 7 show computer corrupted some files somewhere in the file system - but that is only an educated guess.  Reloading S6.0.4 apparently overwrote the errors resulting in the fix.  If any of the developers have any insight on this, I would be interested....

Glad to hear your show is back up and running. S6 is not supported on Win7. We do not prevent installing on it (perhaps we should), but as we code, we are using more features that are WIn 10/11 only.

Matt

Frankly I did not even think about that computer being Windows 7.  Gonna either upgrade it or replace it.  Yea, might be a good idea to prevent installing on unsupported platforms.  To your understanding, should or could attempting to play a show from the Windows 7 computer corrupt something in the file system resulting in the other computers also unable to play?

3 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

To your understanding, should or could attempting to play a show from the Windows 7 computer corrupt something in the file system resulting in the other computers also unable to play?

No, that should not happen. Crashing the Control Panel or Sequencer is possible, corrupting a file is highly unlikely.