Light-O-Rama Forums

Using Smart Pixel Strips in LOR

zatar

Hi folks.
I'm brand new to this community. . We're using LOR to light up a bus for Burnng Man..  We have a 
a WowLights Intelligent E1.31 RGB 16 Output Controller a bunch of WowLights Intelligent RGB Ribbons 5m 30LED/m Smart Strips and are using Light O Rama S5

We're just trying to get our head around the concept of Previews, props and the sequencer.  I have a lot  of experience driving addressable leds from code.. just not from LOR yet .  We're able to get our lights blinking by experimenting with a simple preview and playing around with the sequencer.. but we havent mastered it.    Does anyone have a pointer to their favorite simple example  of using a few smart RGB strips with LOR S5 ?  All the examples and tutorials  I'm seeing are more complicated than we need to start and therefore really confusing.   The perfect example would be something that allows us to define a preview with a few (4 ?) smart RGB strips and create a sequence that allows us to manually paint all the pixels on each  single strip a different single color that changes in time as the sequence advances// In other words, I'd like to simulate using dumb strips at first, then ease in to the more fun effects within a strip.

Pointers to Any favorite 'hello world' examples  would be much appreciated !

thanks !

-zatar

A more specific question about the above:..    I'm using 50 Pixel RGB smart strips in this project. I'm initially trying to use them to emulate dumb tape in that I'd like all the pixels to be controlled as one  color .. I'll add more 'sparkle' later. The trouble I'm having is that when I try to specify  a specific color for a strip in the sequence editor it appears as a grey block in the sequence timeline rather than the color i've selected  (as you can see in the attached file rgb_grey.png) Even though the cells in the Sequence Editor are shown as grey...It still works as I can see the. correct color in the preview pane.. and can control the real strips to light up the appropriate color.  While it works.. it's quite hard to edit and modify the timeline . whats interesting is  If I create a prop thats a single RGB pixel (as opposed to 50) .. I see the cells I select indicate the appropriate color in the sequence editor.  (as you can see in the attached file lor_chase_sample.png).

How can I get the whole RGB strip to be assigned a single color.. and how can I make that color appear in the Sequence Editor ? Any help appreciated !

-jc

rgb_grey.png

lor_chase_sample.png

The gray & white alternating colored spaces you see in the first picture - are "Motion Effects" in a Motion Effect Row - they will play the same as the picture below ( although cant see your "Preview" very well)....

If you double click on any of the alternating Gray/White spaces - it will open the Motion Effect Generator and you can select/show the actual color of the effect and the effect itself...

Edited by Jimehc

Jimehc,

THanks for your answer.. I figured that.. and as you say am able to click on any of the cells and see the color selcted byu the motion effect at that point in time. I can also see the effects of that motion effect in the preview pane. What I really want, though is to paint the whole strip with a single color so the cell in the sequencer timeline appears that color... . Having the timeline visible in color in the time line like it is in the lor_chase_sample  i posted is important for our installation .   I'm not trying to use any fancy motion effects (for now)..   My newbie question here Is there a simple way to color all the pixels in a smart RGB  strip to be the same color without using a motion effect ?  Thanks !

-jc

45 minutes ago, zatar said:

Jimehc,

THanks for your answer.. I figured that.. and as you say am able to click on any of the cells and see the color selcted byu the motion effect at that point in time. I can also see the effects of that motion effect in the preview pane. What I really want, though is to paint the whole strip with a single color so the cell in the sequencer timeline appears that color... . Having the timeline visible in color in the time line like it is in the lor_chase_sample  i posted is important for our installation .   I'm not trying to use any fancy motion effects (for now)..   My newbie question here Is there a simple way to color all the pixels in a smart RGB  strip to be the same color without using a motion effect ?  Thanks !

-jc

Right click in the prop name in the sequence and select the last selection. “Add channel level to pixel prop”

Then select your color in the color picker 

Right click in the first cell and select all - insert color

You can also use the ME row and in ME effects select “solid”

JR

JR.. this sounds exactly what I need.. but when I right click (I'm on a mac running windows in parallel.. so a right click is ctrl click)  I get the following screen.. with no mention of "Add channel level to pixel prop" i'm running S5 Pro.. What am I missing. Thanks for you patience which what must be an obvious question

image.jpeg.7f46ce8cbb364ec4cb3caf5996181a59.jpeg

If you Double-Click on the Prop from within Sequencer - you get that "Prop Definition" window  > if you Right-Click you should get a drop down menu...

In your first picture the grey and black. Find the prop name on the left of each ME row and right click. Then follow my instructions above.

JR

• 4 weeks later...

@dibblejr Your solution above worked great for allowing me to control all of the pixels on a single RGB strip with one color control and see that row Filled with the color I selected in the sequencer.… Is there a similar easy way of doing that for groups of props?… For example if I have multiple RGB strips… Each one for a different prop and want to set them all to the same color… Is there any way I can create a row in the sequencer that allows me to aet all the strips in that group to the same color and actually see that color instead of just a white hatch in the timeline?… I know I can expand the group and see all the component parts… But that’s not very convenient for editing and viewing the sequence

Thanks again for your help!

jc

2 hours ago, zatar said:

@dibblejr Your solution above worked great for allowing me to control all of the pixels on a single RGB strip with one color control and see that row Filled with the color I selected in the sequencer.… Is there a similar easy way of doing that for groups of props?… For example if I have multiple RGB strips… Each one for a different prop and want to set them all to the same color… Is there any way I can create a row in the sequencer that allows me to aet all the strips in that group to the same color and actually see that color instead of just a white hatch in the timeline?… I know I can expand the group and see all the component parts… But that’s not very convenient for editing and viewing the sequence

Thanks again for your help!

jc

In ME rows you will not see the colors however i think you can change the cells so that the color label is in the cell. I do not use that feature. As long as you create your groups and sequence the row it should apply the sequence to every prop in that group. Unless I am misunderstanding which could be at about 12;30 AM.

JR