Light-O-Rama Forums

Question: better pixcon16 or pixie16 ???

Pioerpaolo

Question: better pixcon16 or pixie16 ???
Hi guys, I was asking myself this question. Unfortunately, living in Italy, with transport around € 75/80 (even for a single card) and customs fees (i.v.a. or v.a.t. at 22%) a pixcon 16 costs me approximately 488/500 €, dollars. Assuming that I fill it with 150 leds for all 16 channels it is 2400 leds. Doing the math, as we say here "of the servant" (by no means misunderstood, understood as a person who works as a housewife who cooks and cleans, deriving from the servitude of kings, monoarchs), buying 3 pixie16 I spend all '' about 20/30 dollars more, assuming that the shipping costs are the same since the boxes with which I sometimes get a card, there are also 3, I think with the same expense, but also they were 30/40 dollars plus it would change little. So my question is, in addition to the cost of course, in your opinion what are the pros and cons of the 2 cards in a show like mine, which I live in a building where I can never get too big because of the neighbors. I know this is a very personal question, but I would like to hear your voices, that you have more experience than me and broader views given the years of evolution of your shows. I hope that the online translation is effective, that's why I write a lot, trying not to be misunderstood ........... Thanks in advance, greetings to everyone, especially those who always work for help and they share their experiences. Hello, Pierpaolo Pieroni happy grandfather from Italy

Unless you have a need or strong desire to use E1.31 (DMX over Ethernet) as opposed to LOR networking, go with the Pixie.  The Pixie is more limited in capability, but for the most part either will work with LOR networking.  The Pixie is far easier to set up as well.

Note that the either one can be used with LOR networking, and the Pixcon16 requires Enhanced LOR networking (ELOR), the Pixel for all practical purposes also does.  If you are going to run 2400 pixels over LOR networking, it will need to be 1,000K speed ELOR - with it's own dedicated network.  That speed can not be used for most other controllers, so that means that you will need a separate network for the Pixie or Pixcon as opposed to your normal LOR controllers.

• Like 1

Grazie per ora. Ho già una rete di 6 pixcon16, che uso in dmx, e altri 3 pixie 16 con hub usb con rs485 rosso, ora non ricordo mi sembra che i pixie16 vadano a 500k e si rompono. non incantare. Che ne dite che l'aggiunta di altri 2400 pixel può causare delle situazioni strane??? Inoltre secondo voi potrebbe bastare l'Hub esistente inteso come potenza, ovviamente non per il numero di porte, l'hub si alimenta a parte. When you say this, that speed cannot be used for most other controllers so that means you will need a separate network for Pixie or Pixcon than normal LOR controllers, I can't quite understand what you mean, sorry. Sempre grazie a tutti

Edited by Pioerpaolo

Thanks for now. I already have a network of 6 pixcon16, which I use in dmx, and other 3 pixie 16 with usb hub with red rs485, now I don't remember it seems to me that the pixie16 go to 500k and break. do not charm. How about adding another 2400 pixels can cause some weird situations ??? Furthermore, according to you, the existing Hub understood as power could be enough, obviously not for the number of ports, the hub is powered separately. When you say this, that speed cannot be used for most other controllers so that means you will need a separate network for Pixie or Pixcon than normal LOR controllers, I can't quite understand what you mean, sorry. Always thanks to everyone

On 6/2/2022 at 2:41 PM, Pioerpaolo said:

When you say this, that speed cannot be used for most other controllers so that means you will need a separate network for Pixie or Pixcon than normal LOR controllers, I can't quite understand what you mean, sorry.

Most devices can't operate at 1000K speed.  See:  https://www1.lightorama.com/network-speeds/

You might consider the new Pixielink  http://store.lightorama.com/pisaad.html

Multiple High speed RS455 ports. Converts E1.31 to LOR

This was made to support multiple (high port count) Pixies

A single Pixie16 can almost saturate a SINGLE red adapter. If I understand, you have 3 pixies on a Single RED?

Pixie controllers and pixcon16 controllers can all be connected and run at 1000K Enhanced. Up to 4800 pixels on one network at 1000K.

Unless a single pixie16 has close to 2400 pixels it will not saturate a RS485HS adapter if running at 500 or 1000K Enhanced. Just wont happen unless there are some other strange things in the mix. 16 (ports) x 170 (Max pixels per port)= 2720 max # of pixels on a pixie16 on RS485 protocol.. Bump speed to 1000K golden.

A Pixielink may be good for the OP but if he wants to keep it very simple can keep his RS485 networks and bump the speed.

OP- no other controllers can be on a NW running 1000K - only Pixie or Pixcon16's or a mix of both.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

15 hours ago, TheDucks said:

You might consider the new Pixielink  http://store.lightorama.com/pisaad.html

Multiple High speed RS455 ports. Converts E1.31 to LOR

This was made to support multiple (high port count) Pixies

A single Pixie16 can almost saturate a SINGLE red adapter. If I understand, you have 3 pixies on a Single RED?

Hello everyone and thanks again for the wheelbase and for the profuse help. Maybe it is I who do not understand well, I am sure. I try to make myself understood better, don't get angry if I don't understand well. In my hardware, I have a separate powered usb hub, with 7 ports, from there the 4 usb cables start with each a red rs485hs adapter. They are divided as follows: 1 line for 2 LOR1600Wg3 + 2 cmb24, then one rs485 for each pixie16 (3 tabs). Then I have the other 7 pixcom16 in dmx on the network switch. What I can't understand, when you talk about the network, if you mean in total, or about the network of that card.

This is what I have accomplished in 3 years. This year the balcony above will no longer be there, instead of the word HAPPY I will put a 50x24 matrix, the part of the second floor that I will remove will end up on the 25 meter balcony in front of my building. Ideas to add more ????

https://www.youtvrs.it/le-luminarie-di-pierpaolo-accendono-il-natale-di-via-manzoni/?fbclid=IwAR3AmYNNlbcBMhTOqAzVEIsMT_7F0UDvKAwpkhy73ouULw9ocXAxwqZ9_CM

1 hour ago, Pioerpaolo said:

Hello everyone and thanks again for the wheelbase and for the profuse help. Maybe it is I who do not understand well, I am sure. I try to make myself understood better, don't get angry if I don't understand well. In my hardware, I have a separate powered usb hub, with 7 ports, from there the 4 usb cables start with each a red rs485hs adapter. They are divided as follows: 1 line for 2 LOR1600Wg3 + 2 cmb24, then one rs485 for each pixie16 (3 tabs). Then I have the other 7 pixcom16 in dmx on the network switch. What I can't understand, when you talk about the network, if you mean in total, or about the network of that card.

OK you have 3 Red adapters distributed nice. You are good there with  that powered 👍  HUB

11 hours ago, Pioerpaolo said:

Each usb hub port and RS485HS adapter is considered an LOR High Speed Network. That is completely separate from your pixcon16's Network Switch.

JR

5 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Each usb hub port and RS485HS adapter is considered an LOR High Speed Network. That is completely separate from your pixcon16's Network Switch. JR

Hi Dibblejr, always thanks, yes now I understand correctly. before I could not understand if the network meant the total or each line. I already knew that the pixcon16 and the pixie16 were different and separate. Anyway, always thanks a lot to you and everyone else

Edited by Pioerpaolo