Light-O-Rama Forums

Have version 4.4.16, programs lock up when trying to open but mostly when saving

interadx

I have a windows 10, Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    12.0 GB, Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz, 2808 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 6 Logical Processor(s), System Type    x64-based PC

After I have opened or edited anywhere between 2-3 songs in sequence editor or Superstar, and Visualizer and I try to save the song  the computer has the crazy circle go and go, usually have to end process, then reboot computer to start fresh again.  Superstar is the worse about doing this, can't find the folder my songs are saved in is what it seems like but sometimes it will hover for 15-20 minutes and then open the folder....strange. Editor and Visualizer do this also just not as frequent...I have reinstalled the whole Light o rama program 3or 4 times...no help..I try to only keep one song open at a time, seems to be a little better but not fixed.  Thanks in advance..

Do you generally have a bunch of other stuff open on that computer at the time?

Also, can you please update your forum profile to reflect your current software version.  Although this thread shows what version you are using, generally having your forum profile show the version you are using can avoid necessary questions.

How old id the PC?  How old is the disk drive and is it a spinning drive? Slow access is often a symptom of a failing drive as it tries to read bad sectors over and over in an attempt to get the data. The first thing I would do is make sure my data is backed up just in case. 

Next, I would uninstall Light O Rama and reinstall a fresh download of your preferred version. That's a quick and easy fix if it works. Then it gets more complicated as you get into possible hardware or operating system failures.

9 hours ago, interadx said:

I have a windows 10, Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    12.0 GB, Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz, 2808 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 6 Logical Processor(s), System Type    x64-based PC

After I have opened or edited anywhere between 2-3 songs in sequence editor or Superstar, and Visualizer and I try to save the song  the computer has the crazy circle go and go, usually have to end process, then reboot computer to start fresh again.  Superstar is the worse about doing this, can't find the folder my songs are saved in is what it seems like but sometimes it will hover for 15-20 minutes and then open the folder....strange. Editor and Visualizer do this also just not as frequent...I have reinstalled the whole Light o rama program 3or 4 times...no help..I try to only keep one song open at a time, seems to be a little better but not fixed.  Thanks in advance..

Where you at in AL? IF close maybe I could help you out.

If you are attempting to copy save a bunch of pixel rows at one time this will usually be the case. I found that copy pasting pixel rows in S4 I tried to keep it to no more than 8 rows at a time. Save after copying each segment. 

JR

14 hours ago, dibblejr said:

If you are attempting to copy save a bunch of pixel rows at one time this will usually be the case. I found that copy pasting pixel rows in S4 I tried to keep it to no more than 8 rows at a time. Save after copying each segment. 

JR

I have the same issue in S5. When I try to copy and paste a motion effects row or multiple rows to a new sequence from a previous sequence, both created in S5, my computer would lock up or so I thought. I now walk away from my computer and it takes any where from 10 minutes to 3 hours for the loading of the copied effect rows to finish. I then save it right away. when I reload the sequence latter it takes a long time to load.  I have all solid states drives less then a year old. windows 10 Pro with 64 bit. 16 gigs ram and 4 core I5 3.5 hz. This has been going on since I started using S5 almost 2 years now and each update has not corrected the issue. I figured because it is an older I5 and motherboard that the Buses are probably not up to the speed needed for S5. I have just gotten used to it. Maybe it's time for a computer upgrade. 

2 hours ago, Box on Rails said:

I have the same issue in S5. When I try to copy and paste a motion effects row or multiple rows to a new sequence from a previous sequence, both created in S5, my computer would lock up or so I thought. I now walk away from my computer and it takes any where from 10 minutes to 3 hours for the loading of the copied effect rows to finish. I then save it right away. when I reload the sequence latter it takes a long time to load.  I have all solid states drives less then a year old. windows 10 Pro with 64 bit. 16 gigs ram and 4 core I5 3.5 hz. This has been going on since I started using S5 almost 2 years now and each update has not corrected the issue. I figured because it is an older I5 and motherboard that the Buses are probably not up to the speed needed for S5. I have just gotten used to it. Maybe it's time for a computer upgrade. 

If you have a lot of custom props and the custom grid cells are large it will def slow it down. I had sequences that would take 15-20 mins to load/ save and after I made the grid cells as small as I could it took the process to under 30 seconds. All of my computers are gaming pcs with lots of ram and ssd drives but until I made the cells smaller it was slow going. I went from 100 sequences per show in S4 to 7-8 in S5 the first year.

Almost every prop I have are custom and singers with 500+ nodes each so I had to make the cells large in order to see the different numbers and or universes. 

JR

7 hours ago, dibblejr said:

If you have a lot of custom props and the custom grid cells are large it will def slow it down. I had sequences that would take 15-20 mins to load/ save and after I made the grid cells as small as I could it took the process to under 30 seconds. All of my computers are gaming pcs with lots of ram and ssd drives but until I made the cells smaller it was slow going. I went from 100 sequences per show in S4 to 7-8 in S5 the first year.

Almost every prop I have are custom and singers with 500+ nodes each so I had to make the cells large in order to see the different numbers and or universes. 

JR

All my props are custom too and between 300 and 500 pixels per prop especially on the 8 animated faces. I use motion effects rows for all the props with a one song exception. In that song I use the custom grid view on my seven arches to do some specific effects that are carry overs from my S3/S4 days. All other props are controlled using custom motion effects rows. I will try to reduce the grid size and see what happens. I notice that with my custom prop groups, if the resolution is set to the Highest it slows way down. I have a custom prop group with the entire display and when I use certain motion effects Like the Fireworks effect with a lot of particles moving at a high rate of speed, the slowdown starts once I import the effect into the sequence. then I have to wait and wait and wait some more but it eventually loads. The only thing that helps is to reduce the resolution on the group effects. but the lower resolution doesn't look as good in the show. Any ways, in the end I get the effects I want in the show after the first run through of course. after that,  it doesn't effect the show at all. I only experience the lag in the sequencer.  Thanks JR

Kenny