Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie16 Hardware Configuration

scodavis

Hello all,

I want to make sure I am using the correct settings for my Pixie16 setup in Hardware Utility.  I have three Pixie 16 units and all three have the latest firmware available (1.07).

For my last show, I used two RGB props that have 150 pixels on them (well technically the first 129 were used, but 150 are connected).  The pixels are LOR pixels.
On that controller, I have pixel type set to WS2811 (800 Khz), 150 Pixels per Port, and 50 Pixels logical resolution.  Despite the logical resolution setting, I was able to control all pixels individually.  The Hardware Utility does not offer the ability to set a logical resolution above 100, even though one can set a Pixels Per Port up to 170.

My questions are:

• Are the settings for (a) Pixel Type, (b) Pixels Per Port, and (c) Logical Resolution correct for my setup?
  • When my Pixels Per Port is set to 150 but the Logical Resolution is set to 50 I have full control of all 150 pixels.  Why?

Thank you!

Yes, your settings are correct. As for the logical resolution, it will always be set to 50 except for very rare circumstances.

On 5/14/2022 at 7:03 PM, scodavis said:

Hello all,

I want to make sure I am using the correct settings for my Pixie16 setup in Hardware Utility.  I have three Pixie 16 units and all three have the latest firmware available (1.07).

For my last show, I used two RGB props that have 150 pixels on them (well technically the first 129 were used, but 150 are connected).  The pixels are LOR pixels.
On that controller, I have pixel type set to WS2811 (800 Khz), 150 Pixels per Port, and 50 Pixels logical resolution.  Despite the logical resolution setting, I was able to control all pixels individually.  The Hardware Utility does not offer the ability to set a logical resolution above 100, even though one can set a Pixels Per Port up to 170.

My questions are:

• Are the settings for (a) Pixel Type, (b) Pixels Per Port, and (c) Logical Resolution correct for my setup?
  • When my Pixels Per Port is set to 150 but the Logical Resolution is set to 50 I have full control of all 150 pixels.  Why?

Thank you!

You are 100% no need to set max to anything more than what you physically have.

Never set the LR above 50.

Check the pixie for any jumpers on JP5. If present please remove it.

JR

IF you need a LR of other than 50 (the standard of nodes behave individually), you may want to NOT use a single Pixie as that setting applies to the whole board and not to a Port or Bank.

I suspect that the over 50 ( node order reversal) is a holdover from the earlier days of the design.

I was experimenting with a simple Marquee pattern on my roofs drip line.

At 50 nodes (physical), a resolution of 10 (you sequence just 10 nodes) was perfect groups of 5 nodes. (A resolution of 1 makes things behave like a CMB24 (dumb))

The problem is the physical strings can't be longer than 50 (and do anything 🥴 ) with a resolution other than 50 or 1 . For convenience (and simplicity of HW), my drip was 100-36-100, with the controller between 100 and 36, with a short cable to the rightmost 100).

Pixies already have the ability to reverse a single PORT 👍 (that left drip 100), so do we really need to keep the over 50 reversal? Is this limit kept because of Legacy paid sequences(used resolution mode???) ?

Pixies now support 170 nodes (orig gen 1 FW only did 100).  Sure would be nice if Pixies could use full LR with longer strings  (my original goal was a LR of 25)

Meanwhile, I have another Pixie4 on order and I will need to breakup 3 of my strings of 100 and route those cables to new controller-port locations.