Light-O-Rama Forums

Adding a video/movie through motion effect generator

Kevin538

Last season I had come up with several different ideas to add to my 16x100 mega tree, which included adding a movie clip to some of my sequences. However, I could not get it to work or load the clip in the motion effect generator. The error message states, "Unable to read frames from this file." The clip I am trying to run is at 30 fps and the resolution is 720. I am using AVI or WMV format which is recommended by LOR. LOR instructions state, "AVI and WMV formats are supported, although certain variants cannot be read and you will receive a message if the file you have selected falls into this category." It is clear that I fall under the category of CERTAIN VARIANTS, but have no idea what those variants are and how to fix the problem. Is there instructions with all of the specs needed for loading a video/movie so it is very clear what the parameters/requirements are? Does anyone have any ideas or have a solution for this problem? Any help would be appreciated! 

WMV works best and needs to be 20 FPS at least with 5.6.   AVIs are problematic because they require a codec we don't typically have.   I had good success capturing mp4 videos and converting them with cloudconvert.com.  See this example which is almost exclusively movies on the pixel tree.  This is a 24X100 at 270 degrees for comparison

Just one word of warning.  Even the largest pixel tree is an EXTREMELY small number of pixels for video.  The resolution is very small.  Keep that in mind...

Thank you! I just tried a small clip at that appeared to work. I did not see an option for changing fps rate when converting my file. What do you use to change the FPS?

49 minutes ago, Kevin538 said:

Thank you! I just tried a small clip at that appeared to work. I did not see an option for changing fps rate when converting my file. What do you use to change the FPS?

on the cloudconvert site, after selecting wmv as output, there is a  wrench (spanner) next to it, click it and then you can select FPS.  I also turn audio off since I don't need it. 

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

Just one word of warning.  Even the largest pixel tree is an EXTREMELY small number of pixels for video.  The resolution is very small.  Keep that in mind...

agreed, i did 24 X 50 last year and it was very rough, increased it to 24 X 100 this year (at 2 inch spacing) and it came out better.   Another thing with a pixel tree is that you can see through it so it not as crisp as a matrix. 

I have entire sequences that use the WMV as the audio media and is also loaded into the Movie ME row over the complete sequence. I am using 5.8.6 and It works every time. I these pumpkin projection videos on my 50 x 48 matrix. The videos with the black backgrounds seem to work best.  Of course the resolution is low but from the street it looks great. also I did have to convert the files to WMV but that is not an Issue because I have Vegas Movie Studio. 

23 hours ago, TexasLights said:

on the cloudconvert site, after selecting wmv as output, there is a  wrench (spanner) next to it, click it and then you can select FPS.  I also turn audio off since I don't need it. 

found it. Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

I wish LOR would allow more video formats such as MP4. It would save us a bunch of trouble

14 hours ago, dgrant said:

I wish LOR would allow more video formats such as MP4. It would save us a bunch of trouble

Yes I 100% agree