Light-O-Rama Forums

296 Pixels with Pixie 4

coronabob

Is there a way I can run 296 pixels with a pixie 4. I am looking at getting a star prop from GE. The prop loaded in S5. In the wiring view it shows one string with 296 pixels. All looked good to that point. In prop definition, under channels I choose LOR and it shows unit 1, start circuit 1 end circuit 510. I would understand that to me the max for one port on the pixie. I cannot add a row for a second controller (port). Is it possible to add a second controller to a prop?

Is it even possible for the second port to control the second set of pixels? I am not using DMX or E1.31. I really like my pixie controller so I would like to stick with them if possible.

A Pixie4 can handle 170 pixels or 510 channels per port so you will have to break down the prop and use at least two ports. Keep in mind that you will also probably have to power inject as well.

A Pixie 4 can control 4 strings of 100 (12V without power injection. 5V w/ PI) LOR mode

When you say break the prop down, does that mean that I have to reconfigure string layout somewhere?

I am trying to figure out the carry over that the channel box shows. It doesn't show a controller for the string starting at 511. Will it automatically use the second port for 511 to 888?

Someone will correct me if I am wrong but channel 511 and 512 are rarely used if ever. A universe or LOR ID can use 512 channels before needing to start another so if 170 pixels use 510 channels you have two channels left over and a pixel uses three. In a Pixie4 you can only use one LOR Unit ID per port so you would start a new ID on port 2 and start back at channel one.

Edited by Mr. P

Thanks. I actually worded it incorrectly. I am trying to figure out if the pixels after 170 will get assigned to port 2 automatically in the prop definition. I understand that with DMX it automatically goes to the next universe, but I am using LOR.

If I have Pixie4 as unit 50, the first 170 pixels goes to 50, then do the remaining 126 automatically go to 51?

I hope I am not overthinking this.

Thanks Mr. P and The Ducks. I did it another way. I used a new Pixie 4, hooked up three strands of lights, to three ports, created some effects. and all of the lights work. So, I now know than the Preview Channel screen shows only the Controller number and no additional ones for the ports. But they all work together. I set maximum to 300 circuits or 100 pixels. Ran the star with effects out to 296 and all operated as planned. This is going to be fun.

Yes anything over the 510 Channels (170 Pixels) will carry over onto the Next Port...... But what most do is is renumber the Pixels after #148 in the "Customized Light Placement" - so that 149 becomes 1001 (String 2) then count up from there 1001,1002,1003

Then your Prop Definition will actual show the second Port in use for the second string

148 + 148 - 296 Pixels - as 2 strings

7 hours ago, TheDucks said:

A Pixie 4 can control 4 strings of 100 (12V without power injection. 5V w/ PI) LOR mode

The max = 170 nodes per port for ALL pixie controllers! Even 5v if done correctly.

JR

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Someone will correct me if I am wrong but channel 511 and 512 are rarely used if ever. A universe or LOR ID can use 512 channels before needing to start another so if 170 pixels use 510 channels you have two channels left over and a pixel uses three. In a Pixie4 you can only use one LOR Unit ID per port so you would start a new ID on port 2 and start back at channel one.

510 is correct and should be set in Prop Def

JR