Light-O-Rama Forums

ELL Availability?

dkoehler42

I noticed the electronic light linkers haven't been available on the store for a little while now. Is there a longer term shortage at work? Any idea if they'll be back for the next sale?

The availability of semiconductors today is nothing like I have ever seen in my entire electrical engineering career.  Many microprocessors are on over a year availability.  The ELL also uses a RF module which might also complicate things.  So I think things will get worse before they get better from what I am being exposed to today at my employer.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, radioguy1007 said:

The availability of semiconductors today is nothing like I have ever seen in my entire electrical engineering career.  Many microprocessors are on over a year availability.  The ELL also uses a RF module which might also complicate things.  So I think things will get worse before they get better from what I am being exposed to today at my employer.

When I worked for Fairchild (Linear) in the late 70's, we grew everything in house. (wafers were 3", 4"). I believe many production lines (wafers) have been farmed out to foundaries and the only stuff left in house is a small 'R&D sample' line  (one line I saw was doing 12" wafers 😮 ). The issue is we have moved so much stuff off shore or centralized, that ANY burp, leads to massive shortages.

• 3 weeks later...

Seems that the Covid-19 shutdowns for practically 2 years has really upended the electronics supply chains for a lot of things.

I can't even get replacement parts for my O Gauge or G Gauge locomotives, either.  Even a simple smoke unit has become difficult, if not impossible, to get now.

All those shutdowns seems to have everything in short supply across the board, including food!

Who knows when any of this will finally get all caught up and back to normal...?

On 5/10/2022 at 6:41 AM, Orville said:

Seems that the Covid-19 shutdowns for practically 2 years has really upended the electronics supply chains for a lot of things.

I can't even get replacement parts for my O Gauge or G Gauge locomotives, either.  Even a simple smoke unit has become difficult, if not impossible, to get now.

All those shutdowns seems to have everything in short supply across the board, including food!

Who knows when any of this will finally get all caught up and back to normal...?

My friend I doubt anything will ever get back to what we used to call or think was normal. Who would have ever thunkin that in our era we would ever be where we are today. Hopefully todays children will have as good of times as we all enjoyed in our years. 

JR

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I see the Summer Sale has arrived and the standalone ELL is not included.  The website still has them as sold out.  It looks like the next best option is the CTB04-PC-ELL.  If I had known that, I may have bought one of those instead of a 1602 controller earlier this year.

I moved in the spring and learned it's hard to drill brick and couldn't get any ELLs either ..member on this forum pointed me to flat Ethernet and it worked great going out my window for 4th of July ..

1 minute ago, LaughsBrightly said:

I moved in the spring and learned it's hard to drill brick and couldn't get any ELLs either ..member on this forum pointed me to flat Ethernet and it worked great going out my window for 4th of July ..

How did you run it out of a window?  I have fiberglass doublehung and would be afraid they'd crush it. 

Unfortunately, I use an onboard MP3 controller on a 1602 so I probably can't make a cat cable work.  I was hoping to have two outside and one inside, all powered by the one box.

I have double pane windows with high sills. I just lifted the bottom window, I held the cable flat up and down the sills and outside and carefully brought the window down and locked it.  Was shocked, but happy. 

38 minutes ago, dkoehler42 said:

How did you run it out of a window?  I have fiberglass doublehung and would be afraid they'd crush it. 

You might be surprised what you can get through your window.  Round Cat-5 not likely, but the flat cable very likely.  I would not recommend using a window that will be opened and closed every day, but likely not a problem with a window you can put the flat cable through and leave it for the season.

35 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

You might be surprised what you can get through your window.  Round Cat-5 not likely, but the flat cable very likely.  I would not recommend using a window that will be opened and closed every day, but likely not a problem with a window you can put the flat cable through and leave it for the season.

I don't know if this is an option, but if I'm using the 1602WG3 with an ELL to connect to an older 1602, can I connect a third 1602 to the second using the flat ethernet, or will I need another ELL?

I want to make sure I am following your network description.  You have a 1602WG3 that has the built in director as the show player.  Connected via cable to the 1602WG3 is an ELL  There is a second 1602 that also has an ELL connected to it via a cable.   First of all, do I have that part right?  Assuming I have that right, you want to connect a third 1602 via cable to the second 1602.  If that is correct, the answer is yes.  You can connect a cable from the third 1602 to the second network port of either the remote ELL or the 2nd 1602.

4 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

I want to make sure I am following your network description.  You have a 1602WG3 that has the built in director as the show player.  Connected via cable to the 1602WG3 is an ELL  There is a second 1602 that also has an ELL connected to it via a cable.   First of all, do I have that part right?  Assuming I have that right, you want to connect a third 1602 via cable to the second 1602.  If that is correct, the answer is yes.  You can connect a cable from the third 1602 to the second network port of either the remote ELL or the 2nd 1602.

That sounds right.  I'll try to label the devices.  Box 01 is a 1602WG3 that is holding my SD card with the show data.  There is an ELL connected by cat cable.  Box 02 is an older 1602 connected by cat cable to another ELL.  I bought a new 1602 this year that I'm planning to make Box 03.  I was intending on buying a new ELL, but that appears to not be possible.  Other than borrowing my brother's, can I connect Box 03 to either one of the other units using a flat ethernet cable as a workaround?

Yes - normal cable is fine (unless you need that cable to go through a window).

21 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Yes - normal cable is fine (unless you need that cable to go through a window).

Box 03 would be inside, so that would be a flat cable.  So you don't see a programming or network connection issue if Box 02 talks to 01 via ELL, but 03 is physically connected to 02?

Just to confirm: You have 2 boxes inside? 

Why not run a CAT5 from box 1 to box3? LOR (RS485) does not care about the order of the ID or position on the network