Light-O-Rama Forums

Preview-Shapes, Custom Colors & Groups Questions

Yodlei

After a nightmare trying to install software & register (was getting the dreaded virus warning for the ServoDog.exe file), allowed LOR in my AV settings & all good so far.  Finally tried a simple preview for the pix I attached. Went through 20 or so pages each of LOR General software, S5 & newbies & watched about 5 YouTube videos (had to re-watch a couple...too fast & hard to understand with the RGB/pixel mentions in different stages which I'm not using). Just made these myself out of coro (pix attached). Right now lights just on solid & have no controller hooked up as I wasn't sure how well I'd do. Already getting compliments without movement. All Led light strings & controller is latest 16 AC from the TSO package. Had no conflicts & confused on if should group or not since this isn't a template for anything in the future but may expand on it.

1. COLORS-Got pink selected as a Custom Color but can "custom" in my prop list be changed to reflect "pink" somehow? For future, if a prop has multiple custom colors, how would you distinguish between the two (or more)? The "multi/custom" drop down also confused me as multi to me are the stripes in my yellow egg to the left of the bunny but believe it means something different.

2. SHAPES-What prop shape should be used for the bunny in the pix with eggs. I saw it kept adding controllers when tried to use sphere, circle, etc. It's 2 strings end to end so would function as 1 string. I got in entered as arch & squished it together & made it tall. White was assigned to 1 channel & pink the other which appeared fine but noticed the "arch" was white/pink alternating dots like might be if it was an arch. Will those dots matter if each channel for the white & pink is programmed to do what I want it to? (not sure how to phrase it). Also used arch for the eggs & so far seems fine. My intentions were to keep the outlines of the eggs solid (they are separate strings each on a channel) but have the insides show some movement. The diagonal & zigzag centers are each 1 string on own channels. The blue egg has white daisies with yellow centers so 2 strings inside with each color assigned to own channel. Green grass another channel for a total of 10.

3. For the Bunny Butt, again used arch prop shape & the white are 2 strings; 1 for the outline & the other for the tail & feet (2 channels). The pink pads on feet & tail are 1 string. Haven't gotten to adding movement yet so not sure of my options but thought will keep the outline solid & have movement with the tail & maybe the feet if something looks right. Just wanted to know if using the arch prop will cause any conflicts or not. Seems was my only option to keep my circuits/channels correct. (3 total)

4. I can see why groups are needed if you have 4 bushes the same & want them to do the same things and/or have a huge display to keep things tidy & easier to sequence but the tutorial video seemed to be making groups of groups & more groups & got confusing. Any better explanation when you should or shouldn't group? 

5. I know I won't have enough time to put to music yet but just getting my feet wet but do have "Here Comes Peter Cottontail" music used for my window projection that I can use for next year.

Thx in advance for any suggestions!

IMG_4870.JPG

IMG_4867.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

50 looks & no help???? OK....I'll assume since it takes too much time to read, even though I gave details that are often the follow-up to ?'s, I'll simplify...

Can you or how do you change a custom color to it's rightful name?

What shape would either bunny (pix) use?

Purpose of groups other than to have same functions on similar props (re: 4 bushes, 2 trees, etc.) The example video on YouTube shows grouping by floors. If there's different props, outlines used that would function differently, why group?

From your description, you are using tradition AC light strings for this, NOT RGB.  With that assumption, there is ABSOLUTELY ZERO need for your prop to look exactly like the actual prop.  You could make each channel a single dot if you wanted.  OK, you likely would not want to simplify it quite that much - but you could.  All you need to have on the preview is enough that you know what the dot or group of dots represents.  So most of your questions about shapes and groups simply does not apply.  So for your bunny backside, you could have a simple white circle for the outline channel, and a pink flood in the middle of the circle for the feet pads and tail.  As long as you know that is the bunny backside, you are golden.

In this hobby in AC (led's and Incan lights) movement means channels and controllers. In the RGB world it is much easier to get movement. As far as colors whatever color you assign to the channels is done in the Prop Def and can be any color. However outside in your yard those colors are based only by the color lights you purchase. 

You can draw your bunny and eggs in the custom bulb placement or import a picture and add your light strings to a prop def/ preview and trace it. Once finished export the prop and then add it to your master preview. 

Remember for most members here they are in their "off" season and those of us that have no off season may not answer or even understand every question. Sometimes terminology gets in the way. 

JR

Edited by dibblejr

5 hours ago, k6ccc said:

From your description, you are using tradition AC light strings for this, NOT RGB.  With that assumption, there is ABSOLUTELY ZERO need for your prop to look exactly like the actual prop.  You could make each channel a single dot if you wanted.  OK, you likely would not want to simplify it quite that much - but you could.  All you need to have on the preview is enough that you know what the dot or group of dots represents.  So most of your questions about shapes and groups simply does not apply.  So for your bunny backside, you could have a simple white circle for the outline channel, and a pink flood in the middle of the circle for the feet pads and tail.  As long as you know that is the bunny backside, you are golden.

Yes, AC. Funny the video I was watching was for AC & they were putting everything in groups...1st floor, 2nd floor, multiple bushes, etc. Didn't get why. Thx!

4 hours ago, dibblejr said:

In this hobby in AC (led's and Incan lights) movement means channels and controllers. In the RGB world it is much easier to get movement. As far as colors whatever color you assign to the channels is done in the Prop Def and can be any color. However outside in your yard those colors are based only by the color lights you purchase. 

You can draw your bunny and eggs in the custom bulb placement or import a picture and add your light strings to a prop def/ preview and trace it. Once finished export the prop and then add it to your master preview. 

Remember for most members here they are in their "off" season and those of us that have no off season may not answer or even understand every question. Sometimes terminology gets in the way. 

JR

Know my movements are limited with AC but was going to fade, twinkle, etc. Bought pixels at the sale but going to get my feet wet with AC first.

In the Prop Def, it lists the standard/most used colors but since I had pink, I made it a custom color but in the list it only shows as "Custom". Wanted to be able to change it to say pink. Not that it's crucial for this prop but intend to use a couple of unusual for Christmas on the same prop & wonder how to distinguish between multiple custom colors if the name can't be changed?

Made my own props by using Gilbert & Boscoyo pictures. Tried to import the prop but it wouldn't let me (forgot what it said since so much time elapsed since asked the question). Imported a pix of my house...didn't try to import a 2nd pix of the prop & guess I figured it would override the house. Found how they used "lines" after the fact. Didn't know you could move them around. Tried drawing in the grid & that wasn't helpful.

Understand about the "off" season but when you see other posts being answered, it's not like people aren't on here. Most of the time I read "remember it's busy season" lingo. Even a "huh?" would suffice. :) Thx much!

27 minutes ago, Yodlei said:

Know my movements are limited with AC but was going to fade, twinkle, etc. Bought pixels at the sale but going to get my feet wet with AC first.

In the Prop Def, it lists the standard/most used colors but since I had pink, I made it a custom color but in the list it only shows as "Custom". Wanted to be able to change it to say pink. Not that it's crucial for this prop but intend to use a couple of unusual for Christmas on the same prop & wonder how to distinguish between multiple custom colors if the name can't be changed?

Made my own props by using Gilbert & Boscoyo pictures. Tried to import the prop but it wouldn't let me (forgot what it said since so much time elapsed since asked the question). Imported a pix of my house...didn't try to import a 2nd pix of the prop & guess I figured it would override the house. Found how they used "lines" after the fact. Didn't know you could move them around. Tried drawing in the grid & that wasn't helpful.

Understand about the "off" season but when you see other posts being answered, it's not like people aren't on here. Most of the time I read "remember it's busy season" lingo. Even a "huh?" would suffice. :) Thx much!

Easiest way would be create a new preview with just one prop. In Prop Def add the picture of the prop.  Draw using the strings and assign the Unit ID and channel(s). Save. Export the prop. Repeat for the other prop. Now add the props to your master or working Preview.

As far as the color names. Since the colors are created in the color pallet you are probably stuck with the color you select. You should be able to add to your favorites. Sorry I have not worked with AC colors in S5 for a while.

JR