Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB Questions Before the Sale Fri.

Yodlei

I've searched until my eyes are ready to fall out. Trying to keep it simple. Since can't attach pix, my roof line & garage are straight shots with garage being lower & the end of my house overlaps the garage by about 1-2':

Roof line                        

Garage line            

Was going to go with CCC-II bulbs attached to pvc for easy install & remove. House line is 34' 4" & garage is 21' 1". The 50ct. string shows as 25'. Since I have no electrical ability, I can't cut & solder. Would I keep the unused bulbs dark when programming? Garage won't be too much of a problem & can probably wrap around the gutter using a couple more feet. It will look funny to only use 25' on the roof line & 50' will be overkill, how will I solve this. BTW, was planning on putting it behind my yew just below where the roof & garage lines overlap.

For around the door (10.5') & garage door (24' 3.5"), I've read in different posts that ribbons don't last long & can have problems, especially when cut & I have no ability to solder. so how would I accomplish this? (Wish there were custom cuts to size). Are square pixels best to use in those locations? Bulb would stick out too much & I only have a stoop with yews on both sides. Don't want to break them off so figured flat was better.

In relation to the last paragraph, it's hard to tell when looking at videos what types of pixels are used. Do square pixels give that solid line look when zig-zagging back & forth?

I can't do the drill/bullet result that many seem to use & assume bulbs are much brighter of the 3 types, correct?

Thanks for any assistance!!

What is it that is preventing you from cutting and soldering? If it's only that you've never done it, now would be a good time to learn, as you can get a soldering iron on Amazon for very little, and an hour of YouTube how-to videos will get you started. If you still don't want to use a soldering iron, you could get those connectors with the low temperature solder that can be installed with a hair dryer.

10 hours ago, Yodlei said:

Garage won't be too much of a problem & can probably wrap around the gutter using a couple more feet. It will look funny to only use 25' on the roof line & 50' will be overkill, how will I solve this.

I think if you center the string along the roof line, it will look fine. If you are going to use the Pixie II, you should be able to place it in between the two the strings. There is a pretty long lead on the light strings and if needed, you can get an extension from the Pixie to the string.

I do this with a Pixie II and two strings of bulbs. One goes over my garage and the other goes over my front door, with the Pixie in the middle.

Technology advances make it possible for a caveman to solder. You DO NOT need a soldering iron.

Go to Amazon and type up "pre soldered butt/ bullet connectors". You will need the pink 22 gauge ones or an assortment. You will need a cheap heat gun (looks like a blow drier) and heat shrink tubing. https://www.amazon.com/Connectors-Haisstronica-Waterproof-Connectors-Electrical-Connectors-Heat-Connectors-Self/dp/B087RBMF2X/ref=sr_1_4?crid=13WIC3JTN4ZPJ&keywords=pre+soldered+wire+connectors&qid=1649338570&sprefix=pre+solder%2Caps%2C102&sr=8-4

Waterproof Heat Shrink Tubing Kit 350 pcs, ELECFUN 3:1 Dual Wall Tube - Adhesive Lined - Marine Heat Shrink Tubing Black, 7 Sizes: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

No sense in going old school with an iron for this. I would suggest bulbs or nodes over strips because they can take more abuse and can easily be cut to replace a burnt pixel when needed. 1850W Heat Gun Variable Temperature Settings 122℉~1202℉(50℃- 650℃), DIAFIELD Fast Heat Hot Air Gun, Durable& Overload Protection, with 4 Nozzels for Shrink Wrap,Vinyl, Crafts, Epoxy Resin - - Amazon.com

You can fold over and leave off any excess however it makes sequencing easier if you have the number of lights in use while sequencing.

There are companies that make ribbon splice kits just like these 3pin LED Strip Light Connector Adapter Cable PCB Clip Solderless WS2812B WS2811 | eBay

Links above are only for informational purposes please research before purchasing.

JR

19 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

There are companies that make ribbon splice kits just like these 3pin LED Strip Light Connector Adapter Cable PCB Clip Solderless WS2812B WS2811 | eBay

JR, I have a whole bunch of similar items ('L','T' splice and feeds) i bought for my sheltered (on covered front porch) dump RGB. Worst choice I made. 1) not easy to get a IP rated contact clean enough. 2)hard to get on and make a reliable contact. 3) ages poorly (last years connections 🤬 )

This year I am splicing bullets with Gel filled Beans (B-connectors). These are only for under 20Ga. (I had some non Gel versions that I used and Hot Glued them after inserting the wires. No probs 3 seasons)

@Yodlei If health permits (I only have 1 good eye, so no depth perception. putting 2 wires together is a pain without heat involved), learn to solder. get a small tipped (battery) soldering iron.

On 4/7/2022 at 9:21 AM, TheDucks said:

JR, I have a whole bunch of similar items ('L','T' splice and feeds) i bought for my sheltered (on covered front porch) dump RGB. Worst choice I made. 1) not easy to get a IP rated contact clean enough. 2)hard to get on and make a reliable contact. 3) ages poorly (last years connections 🤬 )

This year I am splicing bullets with Gel filled Beans (B-connectors). These are only for under 20Ga. (I had some non Gel versions that I used and Hot Glued them after inserting the wires. No probs 3 seasons)

@Yodlei If health permits (I only have 1 good eye, so no depth perception. putting 2 wires together is a pain without heat involved), learn to solder. get a small tipped (battery) soldering iron.

Jelly Bellies to splice pixels i would rather avoid having the look of the old telephone repairman look on my strings. LOL But they would work.

I just prefer the pre soldered butt connectors and I have had absolutely zero problems using them and a heat gut (heat btw). The reason I brought up the ribbon splice because they are easy and you can get water proof adapters. 

As mentioned my links were only for visual reference. 

JR

On 4/7/2022 at 12:15 AM, Steven said:

What is it that is preventing you from cutting and soldering? If it's only that you've never done it, now would be a good time to learn, as you can get a soldering iron on Amazon for very little, and an hour of YouTube how-to videos will get you started. If you still don't want to use a soldering iron, you could get those connectors with the low temperature solder that can be installed with a hair dryer.

Yes, never done it but even though I'm not afraid to try new things at 62, electric is 1 thing I don't mess with. Gauges, amps, huh? Started this hobby 30 years too late. Guess I can always "rent an electrician" if I run into a problem. ha ha 

On 4/7/2022 at 8:19 AM, tlogan said:

I think if you center the string along the roof line, it will look fine. If you are going to use the Pixie II, you should be able to place it in between the two the strings. There is a pretty long lead on the light strings and if needed, you can get an extension from the Pixie to the string.

Yes, Pixie II & exactly where I was going to put it. Tried to fine the lead info last night & couldn't find it but thought I read 7' somewhere? Will get a couple of extensions. Shouldn't need much.

On 4/7/2022 at 8:43 AM, dibblejr said:

Technology advances make it possible for a caveman to solder. You DO NOT need a soldering iron.

JR

Very good info & made myself a spreadsheet so I can keep info all in 1 place & the dates & threads I found them in. I will not patronize Amazon or Ebay but did search the companies in your links quickly & did see other listings under Sears/KMart, Walmart & other outside Marine & Electrical sites. Do any of the big box hardware stores sell any of this or maybe Harbor Freight? I did just buy a "pen" solder iron to make holes in my coro so I have that if that would work. I know people on the Halloween Forum have bought heat guns from HF.

On 4/7/2022 at 9:21 AM, TheDucks said:

As mentioned to JR, just bought a solder pen for my coro but not battery (I assume for ease & didn't know there was a battery version). I will do solder homework during inclement days of spring/summer since I take care of 1/2 acre & I'm all work & no play, even since retirement. Have vertigo on occasion so avoid ladders as much as possible. I'm supposed to be getting rid of things, not adding :) I know the 1st info was for JR but if there's an issue with a product, I certainly would like to know before I buy. However, since you are 2 seasoned vets, I don't understand the jargon. I'll note & revisit to ask ?'s if need.

THX to all of you for the help but no one answered one of my most important ?'s before buying...It's hard to tell when looking at videos what types of pixels are used. Do square pixels give that solid line look when zig-zagging back & forth on eaves, gutters & around doors & garage?

Another ?... Is there a difference between an extension & a jumper? When looking at the GE Spooky Tree, they mention using a jumper between the outline & the face. I might try making one myself in the future.

5 minutes ago, Yodlei said:

Yes, never done it but even though I'm not afraid to try new things at 62, electric is 1 thing I don't mess with. Gauges, amps, huh? Started this hobby 30 years too late. Guess I can always "rent an electrician" if I run into a problem. ha ha 

Yes, Pixie II & exactly where I was going to put it. Tried to fine the lead info last night & couldn't find it but thought I read 7' somewhere? Will get a couple of extensions. Shouldn't need much.

Very good info & made myself a spreadsheet so I can keep info all in 1 place & the dates & threads I found them in. I will not patronize Amazon or Ebay but did search the companies in your links quickly & did see other listings under Sears/KMart, Walmart & other outside Marine & Electrical sites. Do any of the big box hardware stores sell any of this or maybe Harbor Freight? I did just buy a "pen" solder iron to make holes in my coro so I have that if that would work. I know people on the Halloween Forum have bought heat guns from HF.

As mentioned to JR, just bought a solder pen for my coro but not battery (I assume for ease & didn't know there was a battery version). I will do solder homework during inclement days of spring/summer since I take care of 1/2 acre & I'm all work & no play, even since retirement. Have vertigo on occasion so avoid ladders as much as possible. I'm supposed to be getting rid of things, not adding :) I know the 1st info was for JR but if there's an issue with a product, I certainly would like to know before I buy. However, since you are 2 seasoned vets, I don't understand the jargon. I'll note & revisit to ask ?'s if need.

THX to all of you for the help but no one answered one of my most important ?'s before buying...It's hard to tell when looking at videos what types of pixels are used. Do square pixels give that solid line look when zig-zagging back & forth on eaves, gutters & around doors & garage?

HF and American companies do sell the items needed. Amazom just made them easier to link.

JR

Hopefully this will be the last one....can't find specs on the CCCII. What are aprx. dimensions (pix make it appear much smaller than AC controllers) & how much weight is it? (I assume it needs some support).

6 minutes ago, Yodlei said:

Another ?... Is there a difference between an extension & a jumper? When looking at the GE Spooky Tree, they mention using a jumper between the outline & the face. I might try making one myself in the future.

A jumper would just be a short splice of cable between the two fixtures of the prop. 

I guess it could also be called an extension.

You would need several jumpers for the GE Spooky Trees.

20 minutes ago, Yodlei said:

What are aprx. dimensions (pix make it appear much smaller than AC controllers) & how much weight is it? (I assume it needs some support).

I just measured mine...they are 5" x 7" x 2" thick (yes, inches!). They can't weigh more than 2 pounds. They are indeed FAR smaller than the AC controllers which is one of the reasons they are so easy to use and place/mount close to the prop. AND CHEAPER so you can use many.  With only two ports for light strings, if one of the Pixies goes out, you don't lose your whole show. As far as support, they have tabs that you can mount vertically to walls. I actually put one of mine on a concrete stepping stone in the garden and run and extension to the arches and leave the other one on the front step that controls the lights around my garage and front door. Easy to place, easy to pick up after.

Edited by tlogan
typos

16 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

A jumper would just be a short splice of cable between the two fixtures of the prop. 

I guess it could also be called an extension.

You would need several jumpers for the GE Spooky Trees.

Thx for the quick replies & have seen your video in other threads...very nice! Now I'm more confused. I heard that tree is big but not sure why a jumper was even needed. It is for 1 style but not the other 2 & other than the faces being different, not sure why it was needed in the first place. You saying several are needed is the confusing part. I was thinking an extension (like to get from a controller on the ground up to something high) was kind of like an extension cord in a way so would be needed to get from the outline to the face (like to make up for a gap). Maybe I'm over thinking it.

3 minutes ago, tlogan said:

I just measured mine...they are 5" x 7" x 2" thick (yes, inches!). They can't weigh more than 2 pounds. They are indeed FAR smaller than the AC controllers which is one of the reasons they are so easy to use and place/mount close to the prop. AND CHEAPER so you can use many.  With only two ports for light strings, if one of the Pixies goes out, you don't lose your whole show. As far as support, they have tabs that you can mount vertically to walls. I actually put one of mine on a concrete stepping stone in the garden and run and extension to the arches and leave the other one on the front step that controls the lights around my garage and front door. Easy to place, easy to pick up after.

Awesome & that is what I thought. I was thinking of getting a Pixie 4 for some additional props but maybe I'll just get 2 Pixie 2s since I'm not sure of my placements just yet. Thx much!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Yodlei said:

kind of like an extension cord

Yes, there are extension cables with the connector on both ends. I use two so that I can place the one of my Pixies in my garden and run the cable out to the arches near the sidewalk. HEre is the link to the LOR page....

Pixel Extension Page

Sorry....thought of another which I probably should have made a different thread on for non-sale reference but does the wire color of bullets make a huge difference? EX; should white be used with snowflakes even if no one will see the back?

My whole house is white so it would be critical for using bulbs for outlines but wasn't sure how necessary it was making props where you don't see the back? See some white options aren't available during the sale but could just add strings later if it does make a difference.

3 minutes ago, tlogan said:

Yes, there are extension cables with the connector on both ends. I use two so that I can place the one of my Pixies in my garden and run the cable out to the arches near the sidewalk. HEre is the link to the LOR page....

Pixel Extension Page

Yep, I saw that page & know I need to get up to the gutter & then out to other coro items later. They're cheap so I'll just get a couple of different sizes. Think I heard reference of 7' lead & might be a little bit short but might not need one if I can mount the controller higher. Better safe than sorry. Thx!!

3 minutes ago, Yodlei said:

does the wire color of bullets make a huge difference? EX; should white be used with snowflakes even if no one will see the back?

Sorry, can't help you with that one...I don't have any of those coro-type props. For the records, I use white along my white gutters and white trimmed front door, I used green for my AC mega tree (which I switched to RGB this past year so I used black) and I used green for my green painted mini trees.

2 minutes ago, tlogan said:

Sorry, can't help you with that one...I don't have any of those coro-type props. For the records, I use white along my white gutters and white trimmed front door, I used green for my AC mega tree (which I switched to RGB this past year so I used black) and I used green for my green painted mini trees.

Thx for such quick replies! I'm not too picky but seeing green or black behind a white snowflake would kinda drive me I think. Definitely need white for gutters & doors as they will be seen & my house is all white. Pixie 2 shows white/bulbs available for the sale for my gutters but the bullets for the Pixie 2 & 8 are green with no squares involved in the sale. Controller color for the house isn't quite as important but I will need to change swap the green bullets out for white squares later.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yodlei said:

Hopefully this will be the last one....can't find specs on the CCCII. What are aprx. dimensions (pix make it appear much smaller than AC controllers) & how much weight is it? (I assume it needs some support).

A pixie 2 is ready to go. It is only sold as a package (option is 2 strings or 4. White  or green wires and case). Connect the LOR network (uses CAT5) and apply AC power (you might need to weather protect the power).  Option is String Extensions (has mating connectors that match the strings)  NOTE: every manufacturer of smart nodes has their own INCOMPATIBLE connection schemes. PICK one and plan on making them your supplier. LOR is a good choice, but do not expect to by from others and just plug it in.

Pixie2 Size is approximately  6.5"x4.8x1.8