Light-O-Rama Forums

Senate passed Bill for Daylight Saving Time

Mr. P

Standard Time vs. Daylight Saving Time  

11 members have voted

1. 1. The Senate passed a Bill unanimously to make DST permanent. The house has put the brakes on the Bill as many northern states are complaining that their Winter mornings wouldn't see sunrise until after 9:00am. Which would you prefer?

• Standard Time - one hour back
    • Daylight Saving Time - one hour ahead

The Senate passed the Bill unanimously to make DST permanent. The house has put the brakes on the Bill as many northern states are complaining that their Winter mornings wouldn't see sunrise until after 9:00am. Which would you prefer:

There's a reason I created DaylightStupidTime.com.

This was tried on '74, and it didn't go over well then. Hopefully the House either let's the bill die, or my preferred route, sends it back to the Senate with an amendment to leave the clocks on Standard Time.

I have relatives in Alaska.  Daylight hours is way different there.

Frequently jumping time zones can be tiring , I know, I've traveled thru many TZ.

Stop jiggling with the clock. Stats show there are more accidents right after a change.

I for one really like the time change.  Except maybe for farmers, no real advantage to having the sun come up before 0500 in the summer.  Much rather shift the time and have the daylight in the evening when we can use it.  Leaving it permanent DST results in it dark for morning commute and kids walking to school during the winter.

will this not effect the kids going to school in the dark   ??????                                 

The most important effect this would have:

Instead of starting at 5:30, my show would start at 6:30, thus making it 1 hour shorter.

The House has put the brakes on the Bill. It seems that northern states do not want their sunrise to occur after 9:00 am. in the winter months. There are many who would prefer keeping it at Standard Time.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr. P said:

The House has put the brakes on the Bill. It seems that northern states do not want their sunrise to occur after 9:00 am. in the winter months. There are many who would prefer keeping it at Standard Time.

I say just set it at Zulu time, keep it simple.😉

15 hours ago, dibblejr said:

I say just set it at Zulu time, keep it simple.😉

I really like that idea! Have everybody use UTC. A retail business in California could put a sign in the window that says: "Our hours are 19:00 to 05:00." They could change those times in the summer if they wanted to.

Teleconference scheduling would be easy. No timezone conversion necessary.

• Like 1

I have not read the article links posted above.    Are there not states and regions which do not play along with DST?   Arizona Hawaii ?  Indiana allows individual counties to use either time. 

Does a Fed proposal for always DST still allow regions to opt out?   I doubt that can be stopped as they have been resisting for 50 years. 

All year DST would leave the resistant with all year an hour off.  All year standard time by TZ would avoid that.   

The argument about the sun not up still up completely goes over my head.   If the sun isnt up yet and parents/schools dont want to start till the sun is up,  then start school when the sun comes up!   There is no law that a norther region with shorter days must start school at the same time as southern states. 

Bob: AZ and HI would stay on their current time. Indiana standardized their time sometime in the last 20 years. The entire state is on one TZ now.

• The topic was locked