Light-O-Rama Forums

Addressible RGB Pixel/Nodes VS Addressible RGB Ribbon

KendallH

I'm going to be setting up a 4'x8' (46"X94") horizontal display with 48 output lines.  This board is going to be used as a motion display for decorations and scenes.  Would it be better to use RGB addressable ribbon or RGB addressable nodes?  The controller i have is 12V and i will use power injection as needed.  I want this to be a reel as i can get it without having a massive amount of spacing in between lights.  It is my intention to increase the lights to this display and move the lights closer and closer yearly.  I am new to this and all recommendations and suggestion will be greatly appreciated.  

Respectfully,

KendallH

Ribbons will use the pixels in groups of three and spacing is fixed. Individual nodes or bullets placed close together will give a better look.

Edited by Mr. P

And individual pixels are massively easier to repair WHEN (not if) a pixel fails.

I have an 8x50 matrix which uses the common 3 LEDs/lights per pixel, so a ribbon string is actually 150 LEDs/lights (about 16' long).  My only comment is that this is like Minecraft style graphics vs HD.  You can get ribbon strings that have one pixel per LED, but per @k6ccc repair is not easy.  My mode of operation has been to have extra ribbon strings on hand to swap out should I get a failure during the show season and fix later.  This year I am planning (hoping) to upgrade my matrix and mega tree to actual 1-for-1 pixels to lights.

I really like the look of the Ribbon Strips with the (3 to 1) LED to Pixel Ratio... So my 16x50 (1 to 1) pixel prop will be expanding to 16x150 for this year..