Light-O-Rama Forums

5v LED to make a mega tree

Nitehawk

Sort of new here but I have a question about a mega tree.  I have two LOR pixel trees kits. Working on incorporating them into my show. But I have obtained some 5V pixels of 50 LEDs per string . I want to make a larger tree .  Can the pixel controller be set to 5V instead of 12V . I saw somewhere that there is a jumper to set but not sure if it is in the new pixel controllers. Also what is the best software suite to have ? I think not the moment I use S5 ver.5.6.8 Pro.

Thanks

As for the different voltage, that is a somewhat long answer (includes more than you asked about).  The really short answer is yes - BUT... 

If your intention is to have two trees that both have partially the LOR kits and partially the additional pixels, it is possible, but not recommended.  One of the issues is that different batches of pixels often will look slightly different.  Not an issue if they are a ways apart, but on the same prop, it can be FAR more obvious.  If it were me, and if you have enough of the other batch of pixels, I would build one tree with all (or most) of the LOR pixels, and the second tree with all (or most) of the 5V pixels.  As for the pixel controller, I am at first going to assume that you are planning on using one or two pixie controllers.  Assuming they are either Pixie 8 or Pixie 16 controllers, they do have two power inlets.  Each inlet powers one side of the board, and they can be run at different voltages.  If you are using some other controllers, most larger format pixel controllers are also split so you CAN use different voltages for each side of the board.  If you do run split voltages in one controller, be VERY CAREFUL not to plug 5 volt pixels into a 12 volt outlet.  That will very likely instantly kill the pixel string. I currently have one controller that is split, and everything is massively labeled to make sure I reduce the risk of plugging something into the wrong connector.  And I about triple check it before powering it up.  In that case, there is only one 5V string in use.  BTW, there is a way to have the pixels powered from a source separate from the controller, so any combination of voltages can be used.  However that is an advanced topic so not going into that here.

Also note that with Pixie controllers, there is only one setting for pixel type and color order for the entire board.  That means that if the color order is different between the LOR pixels and the 5V pixels, you can't really use them on the same controller.  Some other controllers have various limitations on mixing types and color orders, and some are completely configurable.

Earlier I said, using most (not all) of each batch of pixels.  There is a reason for that.  Pixels will fail.  Having pixels from the same batch means that you can replace pixels without having the replacements look different.

@k6ccc If you have HU 4.x or 5.x and use the Advanced pixel button, you can now specify color order by port

@nitehawk 5V nodes need to be near the controller (voltage drop issues). I will second the dual voltage warning: Stupid proof the connections lest the magic smoke escapes

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you.. I intend to purchase a new controller to run the 5 volt pixels . So if I want to make a mega tree on one controller and some arches on another. What do you suggest as controllers?

1 hour ago, Nitehawk said:

Thank you.. I intend to purchase a new controller to run the 5 volt pixels . So if I want to make a mega tree on one controller and some arches on another. What do you suggest as controllers?

A Pixcon16 or Pixie 8 or 16 can run either 5v or`12v per Bank (A pixie 4 has 1 bank, so only 1 voltage for the board)

IIRC K6CCC put his controller up at the top (behind the star). Can't get much shorter than that to the nodes,

Currently Pixie2 is only being sold in 12V (has built in PWR). It could drive 4 @ arches of 50 nodes (2 arches per port)

Correct.   I have always had the pixel controller in a box on the back side of the star at the top of the tree.  Part of that is security, but the bigger part is that this is southern California - we water the lawn year round so if the controllers were at the bottom of the tree, they would get water from many different directions.  This is an old photo and a lot of it has changed, but the concept is the same.  Link to the photo included in case your browser does not show the photo.

2014_Top_of_strips-back.jpg

http://www.newburghlights.org/photos/2014_Top_of_strips-back.jpg

11 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Correct.   I have always had the pixel controller in a box on the back side of the star at the top of the tree.  Part of that is security, but the bigger part is that this is southern California - we water the lawn year round so if the controllers were at the bottom of the tree, they would get water from many different directions.  This is an old photo and a lot of it has changed, but the concept is the same.  Link to the photo included in case your browser does not show the photo.

2014_Top_of_strips-back.jpg

http://www.newburghlights.org/photos/2014_Top_of_strips-back.jpg

I am looking on tue LOR website and I see the option of buying a 11v or 5 volt unit. Do they not have one that can do both depending on how a jumper is set?

Just now, Nitehawk said:

I am looking on tue LOR website and I see the option of buying a 11v or 5 volt unit. Do they not have one that can do both depending on how a jumper is set?

Sorry typo 12v or 5 v set by a jumper

RGB controllers are 12v or 5V based on the power supply used.

If you purchase an RGB controller with 2 banks pixie8's, pixie16's and the pixcon16 have 2 banks you can power each bank with a different power supply unit. There is no transfer switch or jumper used in the controllers. They are based solely on the voltage of the power supply used.

Much simpler to have all of your RGB controllers the same voltage but thats just a personal preference.

JR

Nija'd

No. a Split  unit is one you build up yourself. it needs 2 PSU (there are dual/triple voltage PSU,(just like the ones in your tower PC) but not with the power (A) on both outputs)

There is no switch. 2 wires 12V feed bank A, 2 wires 5V feed bank B.

Edited by TheDucks