How do I run S3 and S5 concurrently on same computer?

tjflory

Well, the (most liked) "Opinion" was there is no need - nor can you have ( run ) multi versions on the same desktop... But, that was an "Opinion" not a fact...

Although I understand the "Opinion" as it is based upon LOR imposed Limitations

Edit: I kind of look at it this way _ if you have a prior license to a lower version - and a newer version comes out - you should not have to Overwrite the older licensed software

and thus be Forced into an Upgrade (unless you so choose to)

Edited by Jimehc

21 hours ago, k6ccc said:

If that screen capture on Saturday was supposed to show that, it is too small to read any details - but I'll take your word on it being the two versions.

So how well does it work?

I do not see two "working" versions on the screenshot. I see two "instances" of trying to open both versions, if that is what is shows. As you state the image is very small.

Two working versions on the same screen would be two "working grids" and would really have to made on a video to show that they can co exist and work at the same time. Now that would be the proof.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Here you go - Just had to remove 1 Registry Entry and change the Default Installation Directory.........

Image.jpg

Edited by Jimehc
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 2/22/2022 at 4:13 PM, Jimehc said:

Here you go - Just had to remove 1 Registry Entry and change the Default Installation Directory.........

Image.jpg

Which registry entry did you change, and exactly what was your process?

Furthermore, since you posted this a month ago - have you had any issues with this since posting it?

-Scott

I was proving what others said could not be done... No, I have not had an issue running the two versions side by side...  The removal process is enacted by the developer, so I will leave it up to them....

The Registry Key you are looking for is in > [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\************]

Easily found by searching Registry for > Light-O-Rama

Edited by Jimehc

10 hours ago, scodavis said:

Which registry entry did you change, and exactly what was your process?

Furthermore, since you posted this a month ago - have you had any issues with this since posting it?

-Scott

1- The member saying this only started in the hobby last year, he has no reason to have S3 on his computer. He shows S4 and not S3.

2- When something goes wrong who you going to trust the "Developer" who has been developing the software for 20 years or someone that's been using it for a year or less? There may be reasons beyond the users knowledge that they designed the Registry Key the way they did.

In the end its your decision however when a problem occurs you will probably contact the LOR HD and not the user above. Editing the Registry Files are not for everyone and can really screw things up if you make a mistake.

JR

1 hour ago, Jimehc said:

I was proving what others said could not be done... No, I have not had an issue running the two versions side by side...  The removal process is enacted by the developer, so I will leave it up to them....

The Registry Key you are looking for is in > [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\************]

Easily found by searching Registry for > Light-O-Rama

Got it!  The only problem I have now is that every time I launch the other version it does the "since it's the first time since upgrading" thing and asks for the location of the data directory (where it stores Audio, Sequences, etc).  Did you experience this?  Do you use two different folders or a single one?

Edited by scodavis
Clarification

29 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

1- The member saying this only started in the hobby last year, he has no reason to have S3 on his computer. He shows S4 and not S3.

2- When something goes wrong who you going to trust the "Developer" who has been developing the software for 20 years or someone that's been using it for a year or less? There may be reasons beyond the users knowledge that they designed the Registry Key the way they did.

In the end its your decision however when a problem occurs you will probably contact the LOR HD and not the user above. Editing the Registry Files are not for everyone and can really screw things up if you make a mistake.

JR

I need both S4 and S5 concurrently because my personal show it still in S4 (I will be moving to S5 for the 2023 season), but I am also a sequencer for Light-O-Rama and their sequences are in S5.  This prevents me from having to use two entirely different computers, which is really nice since my secondary computer is of a much lower and older spec compared to my main workstation.

I agree that there is always a risk when doing something unintended.  However, as someone who has been working in IT for almost 15 years, I am extremely comfortable working with the Windows registry and trying things out.  If something really bad happens, I can always just re-install Windows; it isn't a big deal for me.  That's why I asked for more information on how to do it.

YES, as that working directory is also in the Registry - so I again just point to the correct working directory.... Which is not a big deal... I also launch from manually created shortcuts...

As JR clearly stated he knows very little about Software or Development... So yes those in the know, with the know how, understand the risk.... Thus the reason I did not go into the whole process...

Reinstalling Windows would be a FAR Extreme as to just removing the Light-O-Rama > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Light-O-Rama < registry key

If that key was sub-divided > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Light-O-Rama\Showtime4 > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Light-O-Rama\Showtime5 --- there would be no issue in running multi versions..

The other common directory is > ProgramData\Light-o-Rama < which could/should of been placed inside > Program Files*

Although Glad to see S6 got a Modern GUI for the Control Panel Integration..... It is a sign of the times and hopefully of better things to come...

Edited by Jimehc