Light-O-Rama Forums

DIY Coro Form & LED Questions (Gilbert Eng & General)

Yodlei

7 hours ago, Yodlei said:

My cause to mention was if a coro item required 102 lights, adding 30 to the 100 is overkill for just 2 lights.

True, but three strings of 35 totals 105 - so only 3 extra lights.

Mr. P beat me to it...

Edited by k6ccc

1 hour ago, Jimehc said:

A string of fifty M6 mini lights is about $9 and a string of 50 Pixels is about $14 - but with Pixels you can change the color of the bulbs to suit the season

However - and this is my opinion - things like singing faces look so much better with mini light strings rather than pixels.  This is because the mini lights are so much smaller than pixels so pixels need to be placed farther apart.  For example with the Holiday Coro faces, the tree outline is 200 lights.  By comparison, on the four LOR pixel based trees, there are no more than 200 pixels for the entire tree and face (some less).  I have seen many examples of both, and the smaller number of light sources of pixels just does not look as good.  Again, my opinion

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2022 at 7:10 AM, Mr. P said:

If you need 102 lights then just use a 70 count string and a 35 count string  or three 35 count strings then you have 105. HLE does have 35 and 70 count strings, you just need to plan everything out before you order. You should be able to get within 10 lights of your goal.

Sorry for the delay...wish I could be on more often. It was late when I replied & was just using a generalization as my example. I did end up with using the 70/35 option & lights were here within 2 days of ordering. Thx!

Jimech....I have many existing lights & really like my LEDs so not going huge with pixels but there are some needs/wants that will require them in the future. Just getting my feet wet.

On 2/15/2022 at 8:39 AM, k6ccc said:

However - and this is my opinion - things like singing faces look so much better with mini light strings rather than pixels.  This is because the mini lights are so much smaller than pixels so pixels need to be placed farther apart.  For example with the Holiday Coro faces, the tree outline is 200 lights.  By comparison, on the four LOR pixel based trees, there are no more than 200 pixels for the entire tree and face (some less).  I have seen many examples of both, and the smaller number of light sources of pixels just does not look as good.  Again, my opinion

Ditto thanks for the count reply.

I totally agree with you. I looked at several sites & really like the HC mini light forms for the singing trees & monsters better. Even the 23x23 singing tree faces look better than the 4x4 foot ones. Didn't like the LOR faces as much.

Between HC, Boscoyo & Gilbert, Gilbert has more than I like but depends on the form. Like the Bat a lot but their Flying Bat looks robotic. Same with their Spooky Tree...the one with the highest count of lights has that zig-zag mouth & don't like it. The video of the tree with only 3 mouth placements that is talking looks much better. Really want to make it myself but going to try some medium forms first. Gilbert's smaller forms are more reasonably priced..almost the same as a coro sheet so I'll buy them & really like some of the Day-Coro. Was too late for the Valentine Hearts this year.

More ?'s related to the title but somewhat different except for the 1st one below that no one answered...

Haven't even delved into the software yet but I love editing videos & music for use with window projection using Windows Movie Maker which came to me pretty easily. Would programming these light shows be similar?

New ?s...

Does the Coro-Claw work well or is there something better? Appears to work well in videos as far as reducing sheet size & straight lines but what about curves? For anyone that bought colored coro, what's the best place/site for that (non-Amazon & US company)? I found a few places while searching but many appear to be wholesale or only white. Home Depot carries white but appears black is only available in large sizes & larger quantity. Anybody hear of or buy from these sites?

https://www.regionalsupply.com/CatSearch/152/corrugated-sheets

https://www.boxforless.com/single-pieces-corrugated-plastic-sheets/

Also saw different manufacturers of coro...any that I should avoid?

Also saw the makers of Coro-Claw have Coro-Pins. Anyone use them? Thinking that might be what I need to hold the branches of my proposed DIY Gilbert Spooky Tree to the body (with additional support, of course).

Lastly & again a duplicate ? only answered by 1 person...does anyone know where to buy unusual colored/pastel/frosted mini replacement bulbs? I hate throwing away good working light strings just because they only give you 2 bulbs & need more.

Thanks much!

6 minutes ago, Yodlei said:

Does the Coro-Claw work well or is there something better? Appears to work well in videos as far as reducing sheet size & straight lines but what about curves?

The Coro Claw works GREAT - but ONLY for cuts along the ribs of the coro.  It does not do cross cut in any way, shape, or form.  Despite that, I recommend it.  I use a traditional box cutter for cross cut.

2 hours ago, Yodlei said:

I hate throwing away good working light strings just because they only give you 2 bulbs & need more.

That string can be used for your bunch of Spares